Actor says Apple's 'Get a Mac' ads could be at an end

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 99
    Those commercials were great. I looked forward to each new one that came out. Always a good laugh.

    The latest Microsoft commercials, on the other hand, are pretty sad. Although I've been a Mac user since 1988, I am also a Windows user, and have no particular animosity toward MS. But those new MS commercial just get on my nerves!



    (ok, the 25 times I've had to clean up PCs for people to get them running again, and the Registry, leaves me with a little animosity)
  • Reply 22 of 99
    curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 483member
    I guess I'll go ahead and be the contrary one. I thought the commercials were mediocre at best. The only part of them any good was John Hodgman. Not sure if the commercials could have survived the first couple with another actor in that position. Still not sure how Justin Long - as boring as he is, could be used to represent a Mac.



    Why is Apple so reluctant to show the MacOS interface in their commercials?
  • Reply 23 of 99
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b real View Post


    I guess no one does a smear campaign that twists truths better than apple... actually AT&T might take that one...



    Being both a Mac and PC user, I don't recall them ever really twisting the truth that much at all. Most of the things they described in the ads about PCs, I've experienced my self and were spot on. You wanna talk about twisting the truth, look at some of the laptop hunter adds that MS did. They'd tell you that a 15" laptop PC beat out the MB or MBP on price but offer no details to determine if it was a true apples to apples (no pun intended) comparison.
  • Reply 24 of 99
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post


    just shows how much of a success Windows 7 is. Now Apple has no grounds for an attack because Windows 7 is simpler, safer and very easy to use. even easier to use than MacOSX if you ask me. It's gonna be interesting to see what Apple does now.



    Continue to do what they do best: refine a superior OS.



    I have W7 on my Mac Mini (thanks to Parallels) and...it's a kludge. I probably wasted my money.
  • Reply 25 of 99
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post


    But it is an hard act to follow.



    I have faith that their ad agency is up to the challenge. Their advertising is nothing short of brilliant.



    The new iPad TV ad is exceptional. Their agency knows what they are doing, and does it well.



    I don't expect to see many more computer ads from Apple. They have an opportunity to establish a new secure position as THE tablet device company. Playing catch-up in the computer market seems less strategically valuable at this point.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post


    just shows how much of a success Windows 7 is. Now Apple has no grounds for an attack because Windows 7 is simpler, safer and very easy to use. even easier to use than MacOSX if you ask me. It's gonna be interesting to see what Apple does now.



    They will push the heck out of their mobile devices, which are their bread and butter at this point, if I am able to guess correctly.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    They are great ads in my opinion.



    As far as webcams, the iMacs have them and have had them for quite some time.

    Apple laptops have had webcams since I think 2007 if I'm not mistaken.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post


    Continue to do what they do best: refine a superior OS.



    I have W7 on my Mac Mini (thanks to Parallels) and...it's a kludge. I probably wasted my money.



    Come on thats like me creating a hackentosh and saying osx stinks because its slow.



    You cant use windows 7 on a mac virtualized like that and base your experience off of it. I have a powermac with 10.5 that crashes all the time and If i go by your reasoning then macs stink also.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    They should go out with one big ball busting bang filled with as much misinformation as possible. Like so much so that people will never EVER buy a PC. A commercial so intense that families will sit around together and watch it, and headlines will be dedicated to it.



    Here's my idea:



    "Hi I'm a Mac" "And I'm :COUGH: a PC"



    "What's wrong PC?"



    "I have AIDS! PC'S GIVE YOU FULL BLOWN AIDS"



    Then the commercial ends with Apple logo and boom, Mac sales through the roof!
  • Reply 30 of 99
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Yep, they are classics. I have many but intend to get the complete set and save them for posterity.



    You collect TV ads for products you like? I've never heard of that.



    Do you save the ads for your car? Your breakfast cereal?
  • Reply 31 of 99
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post


    I have a powermac with 10.5 that crashes all the time and If i go by your reasoning then macs stink also.



    I have 10.5 on an iBook and it works fine.
  • Reply 32 of 99
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post


    They should go out with one big ball busting bang filled with as much misinformation as possible. Like so much so that people will never EVER buy a PC. A commercial so intense that families will sit around together and watch it, and headlines will be dedicated to it.



    Here's my idea:



    "Hi I'm a Mac" "And I'm :COUGH: a PC"



    "What's wrong PC?"



    "I have AIDS! PC'S GIVE YOU FULL BLOWN AIDS"



    Then the commercial ends with Apple logo and boom, Mac sales through the roof!



    That's funny as hell.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    They should transition to "I'm an iPad. And I'm a tablet" commercials. The light, thin iPad and the thicker, heavier Windows tablet are a natural for the same actors.
  • Reply 34 of 99
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 18,956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post


    You collect TV ads for products you like? I've never heard of that.



    Do you save the ads for your car? Your breakfast cereal?



    Yeah, sort of similar to the self-hating time-wasters who collect pointless negative posts on Apple forums!
  • Reply 35 of 99
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post


    They should transition to "I'm an iPad. And I'm a tablet" commercials. The light, thin iPad and the thicker, heavier Windows tablet are a natural for the same actors.



    Yeah, they could bring Jeff Goldblum back.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Probably a very good move given that the majority of the 'claims' made in the ads are either completely false, or not the least bit representative of modern Windows-based personal computers anyway.



    Personally, even as the owner of several Macs, I found them rather off-putting and needlessly smug.... So - Good Riddance!
  • Reply 37 of 99
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,153member
    Those were very nice ads. I guess we will see one more before they do new ones.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post


    I am glad they are ending them . Some of the commercials actually blatantly lied(like the one stating only apple had webcams on its products).



    Apple should stick to marketing its usability and longevity instead of bashing its competition.



    I say Copy your iphone and ipad Ads. Just Show a person turning on the imac or laptop or what ever and using it then at the end flash the Name of the product .



    That ad never claimed such thing. In that ad Mac said every Macbook comes with magnetic power cords and iSight webcams. Nothing about only Macs or only Apple. The ads still available on Apples website.
  • Reply 38 of 99
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post


    Those commercials were great. I looked forward to each new one that came out. Always a good laugh.

    The latest Microsoft commercials, on the other hand, are pretty sad. Although I've been a Mac user since 1988, I am also a Windows user, and have no particular animosity toward MS. But those new MS commercial just get on my nerves!



    (ok, the 25 times I've had to clean up PCs for people to get them running again, and the Registry, leaves me with a little animosity)



    Sounds like it's time to move on from that 10 years old PC running Windows 2000
  • Reply 39 of 99
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    Yeah, they could bring Jeff Goldblum back.



    I just discovered the "Drunk Jeff Goldblum Mac" ads. Apparently they just slow down the ads and it sounds like Jeff Goldblum is drunk. They're hysterical.



    Internet



    3 Steps



    3 Pizzas



  • Reply 40 of 99
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post


    Probably a very good move given that the majority of the 'claims' made in the ads are either completely false, or not the least bit representative of modern Windows-based personal computers anyway.



    Maybe not that representative of modern Windows-based computers (Win 7), but much more representative of XP/Vista. This is speaking from years of personal experience cleaning up and maintaining Windows machines.
Sign In or Register to comment.