Apple sells 450,000 iPads in 5 days, users download 3.5 million apps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Speaking as one working with a tricked out Mac Pro on FiOS extreme normally, I can vouch the fact the iPad is VERY snappy

1) Have you bought any apps worth mentioning?

2) Are there any realty apps for the iPhone/iPad that are decent?
  • Reply 22 of 25
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I actually have a request for an app watch: theatrical sfx cuing software. An iPad running our sound cues with touch real time control would be great for the theater work I do, and much simpler and easy to use than a mouse driven interface, which sometimes requires trying to hit a target with a cursor very quickly if something goes wrong.

I could see something like tap to start cue, tap while playing to fade, a global volume area that tracks a simple scrolling gesture, touch and hold to reorder, touch and drag on a cues timeline to set start/stop parameters, drag up/down to set fade up and down envelope, a simple inspector window for things like looping or fx, etc.

There are big show control, midi and dmx capable packages available for Macs and PCs, but that's way overkill for a school using student tech crew. Touch opens up a lot of possibilities for pretty sophisticated control without a lot of UI cruft in the way.

Anybody comes across anything like that, give me a heads up. If not, maybe it's time I got into the iPad software business.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    ddarkoddarko Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Apple did not approach 500k units in less then a week, they sold 450k since the start of pre orders. This article is misleading. If Apple sold 450k units in 5 days they would have certainly announced 750kl units because that would have helped the stock price.

The 450k includes all pre orders which Apple has already stated has been 300k. So since the true release they hawe sold 150k units. This is simple math.

When Amazon says that they sold 1,000,000 copies of Toy Story in the first week, you think they don't include pre-orders? When Scholastic or Barnes and Noble say they sold X number of the latest Harry Potter book in the first 24 hours, they're not including pre-order sales but only including those books bought that day? When Fandango or Moviefone says they sold Y million dollars worth of tickets of the opening day of Avatar, they didn't including tickets purchased weeks earlier? They're only counting tickets bought at the counter or online that day? No one counts sales figures the way you say Apple should. No one.

Quote:

The iPad launch as been okay but I have been to the Apple store twice this week, there are no lines 9 our of 10 sold at my local Apple store is the basic model at 499.00. They also have plent of stock.

The stock of one Apple store when you visited has about close to zero utility. It could be your store ran out of stock 30 minutes after you left. You have no way of knowing without more sampling. And your extrapolation of the stock status of one store to stores everywhere in the US is nonsense.

Quote:

I have used ti for hours and hours, its a big iPod Touch an okay device but not really all that exciting in fact the more you use it the more you discover its limitations.

As if it wasn't clear enough, thanks for putting your true motives in writing.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Apple did not approach 500k units in less then a week, they sold 450k since the start of pre orders. This article is misleading. If Apple sold 450k units in 5 days they would have certainly announced 750kl units because that would have helped the stock price.

The 450k includes all pre orders which Apple has already stated has been 300k. So since the true release they hawe sold 150k units. This is simple math.

The iPad launch as been okay but I have been to the Apple store twice this week, there are no lines 9 our of 10 sold at my local Apple store is the basic model at 499.00. They also have plent of stock. I have used ti for hours and hours, its a big iPod Touch an okay device but not really all that exciting in fact the more you use it the more you discover its limitations. I know hard to believe on this forum

First day sales of ANY product always includes pre-orders. Why are you trying to change the way the entire world counts sales?

The Wii and iPhone 3GS are the only electronic devices to sell 300,000 units the first day or 500,000 the first week. Both of those were huge successes. There's no reason to believe the iPad won't be a huge success - other than your incessant hatred of Apple, of course. And that doesn't even consider that only 1/2 of iPad customers have gotten theirs since the 3G model won't ship for a few more weeks (and pre-surveys indicated that the 3G would sell about as well as the Wifi model).

Apple stores have stock? Great. They managed to sell half a million units in the first week and STILL have some left over. As a stock holder, that's a lot better than Nintendo losing millions of Wii customers because they can't manage to produce enough.

I really couldn't care less whether you think the iPad is limited. You see, Apple is smart enough to realize that no one product suits everyone. The fact that YOU don't like it isn't an indictment of the product - it's simply an indication that it's not for you. Apparently, there are more than enough people excited about the product to make Apple very happy.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    moved