Apple iPhone OS 4.0 to introduce Multitasking, 100 other features

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jodyfanning View Post

Uh, OGG is an audio format.

Ogg is a container, that can be used for audio or video. Vorbis, FLAC and Theora are the common lossy audio, lossless audio, and lossy video codecs used with Ogg, respectively.

Quote:

Streaming is just as bad. Keeping the radio going all the time is going to eat your battery alive. A much better idea would be that the app buffers a reasonably large amount of data and then lets the radio go idle for a while before starting again.

I'm not sure how Pandora does it but I've gotten great results with their streaming app running constantly for hours on a battery. Obviously it was in the foreground, but the display was locked (read: off).
  • Reply 262 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idanceapps View Post

When you are multitasking - how do you close an app?

I have iphone 3g. I was very tempted to upgrade to 3GS, not anymore. . . Rather just wait for 4th gen and have new firmware and hardware additions - front facing camera? nice!

C-

You don't close an app unless for some bizarre reason the app itself gives you that opportunity. The phone takes care of everything and will kill a background app when it wants the RAM back. So you have no control over the multitasking and shouldn't need to.
  • Reply 263 of 273
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

You mean you don't do that? What is the point of having all that RAM if you aren't going to use it.

Everyone I have ever seen who uses a mac rarely, if ever, closes an application. Most of them don't even understand that you need to quit an app, not just close all the windows. So they effectively end up running every app they have at the same time.

On my Windows 7 PC I have 8 individual apps running and there are 79 processes running with CPU usage of 4%. And that includes having Bittorrent going in the background. So don't tell me that multitasking doesn't work.

Obviously you have never looked at activity monitor on your Mac.

And just for comparison you can get a Bittorrent client for the Nokia N900. It runs perfectly in the background even if it does use the battery quite much.

The only people using Macs that think closing a window will close the app are usually people that have switched from the Windows world, where closing a window will close the process (since generally each window is a separate process). Once they have used a Mac for enough time, they realize the difference.Not that it really makes much of one.

As for multitasking, iPhone OS and Mac OS X handle it just fine...UNIX tends to hold it's own fairly well in that regard. The point is, Apple decided the user experience on their mobile devices would be degraded if many user space apps were running at the same time. Even with this artificial limitation in place, iPhone OS is still a fully pre-emptive multitasking OS, with many processes running in addition to the user apps (just like your Win7 box has 79 processes with only 8 apps running). Apple judged, within their experience, that there were negative consequences to allowing multiple apps to run on the iPhone OS devices. From that judgement, they invested a non-trivial amount resources into designing this pseudo-multitasking framework, in order to compensate for preventing multiple running apps. Do you honestly think they did so simply to handicap users? Apple can make dick moves as much as anyone else, but generally there is a benefit, even only for them. Do you think the decided 'hey, let's piss some people off with the OS that will run the future of our company, for no reason whatsoever! Yes!"?

Perhaps, as you suggest, the new API's will include automatic buffering or other power-saving techniques that devs will automatically get by using the services...the location services is an obvious example of this were apps that do not require GPS accuracy will fall back to cell tower triangulation when using the new API for background location updates, strictly to prevent the addition draw of the GPS.

I will complain about Apple when they make unfair, dumb or anticompetitive decisions. But, in this case, at least present on argument....otherwise you come off sounding like the kid on the playground who tries to tease other kids to hide the fact his parents are on welfare...i.e. you sound like you are lashing out to compensate for inadequacies.
  • Reply 264 of 273
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The original iPhone and iPod touch models from 2007 will apparently not be supported by iPhone 4. At its release, they will be four years old.

Incorrect. They will 3 years old. Math FTW.
  • Reply 265 of 273
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is there a competing phone platform that supports three and four year old devices? How many Windows Mobile phones running 6.0 will get 7.0? I don't recall my Palm Pilot devices ever getting major OS updates. I also haven't heard of the Treos getting WebOS.

Any platform has to deal with older phones not having hardware features which are featured in newer versions of the operating systems. Newer programs might break older phones. This is a fact of life.

I am merely using the AppleInsider definition of fragmentation. The AI definition applies to all hardware platforms.

EDIT: The iPhone 3g and 2g will NOT support the crippled multitasking feature, while only the 3gs and newer iPhones will. The AI definition of fragmentation is alive and well with that condition.
  • Reply 266 of 273
    shubiduashubidua Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

That would be incorrect. All MMS needs is SMS + a data connection. Easily done with 2G.

Regs, Jarkko

Quote:

I hate to tell you this, but every other phone can do MMS with only a GSM chipset . You don't need 3G. It was just an arbitrary decision by Apple that they didn't support MMS in the 2G.

Well, from what I read a while ago, the thing with MMS is that there are a lot of custom implementations on how to do it. On the other hand the only thing being something like a standard and clean implementation is with using 3G.

I cannot give you any sources from the top of my head, I would have to dig that up again.

So instead of having to different implementations for MMS on first and second version of the iPhone , it looks like they chose one implementation and no support for the first generation. I guess there is some business strategy in that decision (i.e. selling more units)
  • Reply 267 of 273
    Quote:

You don't close an app unless for some bizarre reason the app itself gives you that opportunity. The phone takes care of everything and will kill a background app when it wants the RAM back. So you have no control over the multitasking and shouldn't need to.

You can actually close an app. If you open up the multitasking dock and touch an app icon for a while, it gets wobbly and a little symbol appears in the upper corner. Touch it again, and the app closes. Had to do this with Safari when it got stuck in landscape mode.
  • Reply 268 of 273
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shubidua View Post

Well, from what I read a while ago, the thing with MMS is that there are a lot of custom implementations on how to do it. On the other hand the only thing being something like a standard and clean implementation is with using 3G.

I don't agree as MMS was definitely designed to work in GPRS networks even before EDGE was deployed.

2G and 3G could act differently if MMS was sent via the signalling channels, but MMS was designed to be usable in multiple networks, thus they chose a simple and existing signalling channel that is the same in both access types - SMS. There is no difference in SMS when sent via 2G and 3G as far as the content of the message is concerned (which is the part MMS is interested in).

MMS encoding when it's retrieved from the MMSC (MMS Centre) over WAP may vary as the data may be adapted to fit the terminals capabilities (resolution etc.), but that has nothing to do with the technology via which the MMSC is reached (2G, 3G data, Wifi, carrier pigeons). MMS is relatively similar to E-mail. It's just a bunch of XML files in SMIL-format with data. Actually some operators allow you to convert your MMS messages to be sent as E-mail to you.

If you want to find an "Applefied" reason for MMS not being in iPhone 2G, one could eplain that since EDGE data rates are relatively low, sending large images and video may be bad for the user experience over the slow channel. If we repeat this reason (that I just came up with) often enough on this forum, it will become fact. Just wait and see.

Regs, Jarkko

P.S. Here's a link to a separate MMS-handler server product, which has some raw data snippets to give you more detail: http://www.ozekisms.com/load-balanci...age_number=495
  • Reply 269 of 273
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Lets hope that some of the 'OTHER 100 FEATURES' are good enough to put the ANDROID & NEXUS ONE to SHAME!! or at least to be considered VALUABLE!
  • Reply 270 of 273
    mshockmshock Posts: 21member
    WWDC has been all about the iPhone OS and App development the last 2 years. With the iPhone OS 4.0, SDK, and iPad already out the door, there is only 1 thing left to focus on: Mac OS X. I'm betting there will be a preview of 10.7 which will include the following:

1.) Full resolution indepedence

2.) BluRay support

3.) New Filesystem (similar to iPhone OS (just a catalog, most apps store the data as opposed to the whole fs, and the fs searches through the app) but with ZFS like features such as cloning, pooling, etc.)

4.) WebKit2 Safari

5.) New UI (like iPad)

6.) Ability to use some or all iPhone, iPad apps natively

Obviously, this would mean new developer tools and SDK for developers. I hope there is more opensource development as well, like with the Filesystem.
  • Reply 271 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MShock View Post

WWDC has been all about the iPhone OS and App development the last 2 years. With the iPhone OS 4.0, SDK, and iPad already out the door, there is only 1 thing left to focus on: Mac OS X. I'm betting there will be a preview of 10.7 which will include the following:

1.) Full resolution indepedence

2.) BluRay support

3.) New Filesystem (similar to iPhone OS (just a catalog, most apps store the data as opposed to the whole fs, and the fs searches through the app) but with ZFS like features such as cloning, pooling, etc.)

4.) WebKit2 Safari

5.) New UI (like iPad)

6.) Ability to use some or all iPhone, iPad apps natively

Obviously, this would mean new developer tools and SDK for developers. I hope there is more opensource development as well, like with the Filesystem.

Digital downloads/streaming is more profitable and considerably more prolific than Blu-ray, so I think the inclusion of Blu-ray looks even more grim with each passing year (until well after Apple feels threatened by it).

A new filesystem and RI would be nice. I doubt we'll see a UI designed for a 10" touchscreen as the Mac U and WebKit2 can come with a Safari update, it's usually released independently of Mac OS X.

Gruber was stating that Mac OS X Preview may be delayed until 2011 because of the work with the iPad and iPhone v4.0 OS. I hope not, but Apple does have a track record here.
  • Reply 272 of 273
    Sounds like the trailer for some Hollywood action-blockbuster...

"This summer...(wooosh!) ...from the people who brought you iPhone...(wooosh!)...iPod touch...(wooosh!!)...and iPad..."
  • Reply 273 of 273
    mi_satmi_sat Posts: 39member
    Hello