Apple's iPhone Software 4.0 multitasking feature demoed in video

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think many people are already using double home for things like camera or iTunes control. I use the later and I like having the immediate access to cut the audio as quickly as possible when necessary.

Yeah, I do too. I'd prefer single tap to get to multi-task, double-tap for itunes and hold the button for longer than a tap to get to icon view (does anyone seriously use the Voice control that only understands a certain type of American accent?)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpcg

I know I can navigate between them with double tab on Home but how do I specifically quit Safari? Maybe slide it of the Dock or something (would be Mac like sort of)?

The open application won't cause any problems until another app needs the RAM its using but the application switcher could end up getting quite clogged up with lots of low memory apps and require lots of swipes to get to the one you want. Also they won't be ordered so hard to train muscle memory. I think I'd have preferred a list view that scrolls with the names and icons of open apps and then swipe the name and close to kill an app.

It really isn't that difficult to understand a task manager like that. Still, it's not needed as going back to the icon view won't quit apps. If you go back to the icon view and select an app that's open, it will just open at its suspended state as it would from the launcher. The application launcher is actually a bit superfluous and the OS probably would have been less confusing without it.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Why can't I run a twitter or IM feed in the background Apple, you know, like you can do with Android?

Because push notifications are better than continuous polling. "I want the stupid thing" is not a very compelling argument.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post

Scott Forstall said in the iPone OS 4.0 keynote Q&A that there's no need for users to close Apps as the OS will take care of it. Something akin to OS X: Apps that are open but aren't being used lie dormant but remain alert at the same time.

But I would want Skype to be open *all* the time! Hopefully there will be some settings...
  • Reply 24 of 31
    extensorextensor Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Scott Forstall said in the iPone OS 4.0 keynote Q&A that there's no need for users to close Apps as the OS will take care of it. Something akin to OS X: Apps that are open but aren't being used lie dormant but remain alert at the same time.

The second video clip starting at 2 minutes and 18 seconds shows the quitting of apps.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Extensor View Post

The second video clip starting at 2 minutes and 18 seconds shows the quitting of apps.

Yeah, it is funny how many posts there can be about something that was shown rather clearly in the video.

For those who don't want to watch the video, it showed the user holding a finger on an icon for one of the open apps for about a second. Only that app would then highlight with the familiar "x" and a short tap on the icon would close the app.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Proper multi-tasking...

Why don't you wait until v4.0 before you start complaining about how it doesn't work for you.

Or you can always marry Android if you love it so much.

Because iPhone apps are all widgets+

You really don't understand what a widget is, do you?
  • Reply 27 of 31
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post

Because push notifications are better than continuous polling. "I want the stupid thing" is not a very compelling argument.

I really don't see how anyone could reach that conclusion.

Try a twitter client on the iPhone, then try one on Android. See the difference?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Unimaginably efficient investment as usual.

Almost nothing actually changes, just Apple's stuff already running in background becomes system-wide servers accessible from third parties. Third parties are allowed and welcomed to the party only because iAd is so and is gonna generate the cash flow.

And sexy-ass fans of Pandora are finally absolutely happy... That's what should be called big achievement.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Extensor View Post

Cool! Which video clip dude?
  • Reply 30 of 31
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyinscotland View Post

Exactly what I was thinking.

It will be a shame to lose the ability to quickly change to a new song with only a double click and a tap but I would personally choose multitasking over it any day.

Don't you guys use your iPhone with the headphones? I feel like the headphones are the most powerful accessory....Talking on the phone and websurfing are a breeze...and it's the easiest way to control music

Headphone controls:

1 tap pause/play

2 taps skip song

3 taps repeat song

I never use my iPhone without headphones. Perhaps one of the most important reasons to do this is that it keeps the headset away from your head. With the radiation debate on all mobile phones not settled yet it's just a good precaution.

So yeah, I'm psyched about this new double tap the home button to multitask, I think it makes a lot of sense.

Personally, I use voice control many times a day... It's a bit limiting for playing music, but I haven't opened up my contact list in ages...just so much faster... .

I'm SO psyched for all these new updates! THANK YOU APPLE!!
  • Reply 31 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Cool! Which video clip dude?

Here's a video clip of the multi-tasking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqfpEVITtrA

It shows closing the apps after 2:25. Interesting, that guy appears to have emails from Kasper.