Apple's iPhone 4 SDK license bans Flash, Java, Mono apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 198
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    This seems like a very bad move to me. I have no objection to restricting shovelware apps that have little or no value from the app store, but preventing developers using preprocessing tools that help them write the apps the way they want to is a bit dodgy. They might as well be saying "we'll only let you sell an app on the app store if you don't also sell the same or similar app on any other mobile platform", which could soon get them in hot water for being anti-competitive.
  • Reply 22 of 198
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

This developer clause does not prevent Adobe or anyone else from creating a SDK which translates the language used (e.g. Flash) into C, C+, or Objective C. Then the output can be compiled in XCode into a working app.

It does prevent 3rd party apps which create native apps which then hook into Apple's APIs without going through XCode for compilation. But this is easy to work around using the above described process.

Flash is written in C and C++.

Apple will never support Flash executables.

They are pushing, and thankfully successfully so, HTML 5, WebGL, CSS2.1/CSS3, SVG and more OPEN STANDARDS.

The only rant people have is Apple won't back Ogg/Theora.

They don't even realize if they test Safari with http://html5test.com that MP3 isn't also natively supported.

Apple doesn't have patent rights to natively support MP3 inside Safari and therefore don't pass that test, but they do have copyrights to AAC and pass that test.

99.9% of the HTML5 spec doesn't deal with Audio/Video. It deals with so much more to make publishing far easier and uniform. Form support is going to be such a refreshing change and so much more.
  • Reply 23 of 198
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    So in addition limiting what apps you can install on your Apple devices, now they have decided that how the apps are developed is also their business.

I am sorry, this is just plain silly.

I see the mobile market going to same way as the desktop market. Apple will do well, making a nice living off the drones that don't mind their draconian operating practices, meanwhile the bulk of the market will go to other companies that don't want to act as your nanny.

-kpluck
  • Reply 24 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I wish someone with greater knowledge of the whole thing than the article's author would chime in with an explanation.

I am no coder, but it seems to me that if the resultant code is the same then there is no way to tell what the thing was "originally" written in. Conversely, if Apple can tell what language things were "originally written in," then the resultant code is not equivalent and they have every right to argue for it not being used.

Apple can simply add a flag to the compiler that the OS checks for. Adobe could try and reverse engineer something, but it'd be palm pre + iTunes all over again. Also, Adobe engineers don't have access to the low level stuff Apple does. I'd be surprised if they can write a compiler that works just as well as Apple's
  • Reply 25 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

So in addition limiting what apps you can install on your Apple devices, now they have decided that how the apps are developed is also their business.

I am sorry, this is just plain silly.

I see the mobile market going to same way as the desktop market. Apple will do well, making a nice living off the drones that don't mind their draconian operating practices, meanwhile the bulk of the market will go to other companies that don't want to act as your nanny.

-kpluck

Wrong.
  • Reply 26 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napabar2 View Post

And you think Flash is the solution to multi-platform apps????

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Can I have what you're smoking?

What's your qualification in re: to programing?
  • Reply 27 of 198
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

NO.

This clause insures that developers who build multi-platform apps will create apps that are best-in-class for the iPhone platform - not just hacked Bizarro Java apps.

This insures that iPhone users will get BEST TREATMENT from developers and are not treated like second-class citizens.

Actually, I think exactly the opposite will happen. The App Store drives iPhone sales, and this hurts the app store. In addition, it DRAMATICALLY impacts the ability to do custom vertical solutions based on pre-existing frameworks. I think this decision will quickly turn the iPhone into a second-class development platform that gets bad ports months after the fact, just like apple did to the Mac.

Tools like Unity3d can now no longer be used to create top-shelf games (C# based), and sone innovative no-programming dev environments that were coming out will likely go to android. With every decision like this that Apple makes they drive away dozens of good developers from the platform.
  • Reply 28 of 198
    My qualification is that writing apps is not like the federal government. One form DOES NOT fit all. Applications should be written in their native development kits, and not cookie cutter crap like Flash.
  • Reply 29 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Actually, I think exactly the opposite will happen. The App Store drives iPhone sales, and this hurts the app store. In addition, it DRAMATICALLY impacts the ability to do custom vertical solutions based on pre-existing frameworks. I think this decision will quickly turn the iPhone into a second-class development platform that gets bad ports months after the fact, just like apple did to the Mac.

Tools like Unity3d can now no longer be used to create top-shelf games (C# based), and sone innovative no-programming dev environments that were coming out will likely go to android. With every decision like this that Apple makes they drive away dozens of good developers from the platform.

Yes, because the app store is doing soooooooo poorly in contrast to other apps stores.

The iPhone OS's success is NOTHING like what happened to the Mac.

People like you said the same thing about the iPod. 9 years later, still 70% market share.

The iPhone already has a greater market share in smart phones than the Mac ever had in desktop.

Two totally different platforms, two totally different histories.

Sorry about your luck.
  • Reply 30 of 198
    Quote:

NO.

This clause insures that developers who build multi-platform apps will create apps that are best-in-class for the iPhone platform - not just hacked Bizarro Java apps.

This insures that iPhone users will get BEST TREATMENT from developers and are not treated like second-class citizens.

For new apps, in the short term, yes. For anything that is multi-platform it will now be much later for iphone versions to become available. There will be even less incentive to program a completely separate app for the iphone first once Android passes the iphone by in marketshare which is inevitable.
  • Reply 31 of 198
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    And yet interestingly, when we were getting the live update on the announcements here on AppleInsider this afternoon, it was via something using that eeeeeevil Flash, cutting out all the poor new iPad owners who might want to know about iPhone OS 4.
  • Reply 32 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jgibson24 View Post

For new apps, in the short term, yes. For anything that is multi-platform it will now be much later for iphone versions to become available. There will be even less incentive to program a completely separate app for the iphone first once Android passes the iphone by in marketshare which is inevitable.

Wrong. There are three devices in this platform now.

Everyone always forgets about the iPod Touch. It actually sells more than the iPhone does. Now we have iPad in the mix. I do not see Android surpassing these 3 devices combined anytime soon.

Also, their apps store has FAILED to keep up with Apple's app store growth, by gross and percentage.
  • Reply 33 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napabar2 View Post

Wrong.

No, he's quite right, fanboy. This is Apple desperately trying to create a monopoly again, like when they locked up their hardware in the 80s. Jobs still hasn't learned from Gates.

Filtering out crapware is great, but restricting how it's developed is irrational.
  • Reply 34 of 198
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Flash is seeing its last days as the Big Standard.

The times, they are a-changing.
  • Reply 35 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randytayler View Post

No, he's quite right, fanboy. This is Apple desperately trying to create a monopoly again, like when they locked up their hardware in the 80s. Jobs still hasn't learned from Gates.

Filtering out crapware is great, but restricting how it's developed is irrational.

No, you're both wrong. Go troll elsewhere.
  • Reply 36 of 198
    benthicbenthic Posts: 8member
    heh .. its a ploy to drive down Adobe stock price so it can be really cheap for Apple to buy it up
  • Reply 37 of 198
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has updated its iPhone Developer Program License Agreement in the iPhone 4.0 SDK to specifically prohibit the development of apps using "an intermediary translation or compatibility layer or tool," which would include Adobe's Flash, Sun's Java, or Microsoft's Silverlight/Mono.

Ridiculous. Original language must be Objective - C? As long as the finished product meets apple's standards they shoudn't care.
  • Reply 38 of 198
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randytayler View Post

You know, people bitch about how newcomers aren't made to feel welcome unless they drink the koolaid.

I wonder why.
  • Reply 39 of 198
    Quote:

There will be even less incentive to program a completely separate app for the iphone first once Android passes the iphone by in marketshare which is inevitable.

Has the word "inevitable" taken on a new and surprising meaning? Does it now mean "theoretically possible, but entirely unproven, and not suggested by any current trends?"
  • Reply 40 of 198
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

They'll have to "inevitably" get past 15% and then they'll actually be in the running. Maybe. But then again, June is just around the corner and Apple's about to grab another chunk of smartphone marketshare. Now THAT is inevitable. Google had better hope Apple keeps the iPhone on a single carrier. Once Apple opens the floodgates in the US, it's game over for the also-rans.