New 27 iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
While I was checking out the $1,699 27 iMac at Best Buy, a customer said there may be a new version coming out very soon for the same price. I don't want to buy this computer right before a new upgraded version is released. Does anyone have any info on this?



Thanks !!!
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUDF0X View Post


    ... I don't want to buy this computer right before a new upgraded version is released...



    Then you'll never buy another computer again. There's ALWAYS a better model "just around the corner".



    That said, most people seem to thing the MacBooks are due for an upgrade very soon (this month?)... the iMacs probably not until the end of summer. But none of us outside of Cupertino really knows.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    I understand. I just didn't know if anyone had a good grasp on how early a new version would be released. Thanks again!
  • Reply 3 of 30
    I'd wait. The new model has been out a while now. 6 months?



    I'd bet a new model is due late April or by July at the latest.



    For the sake of a few months. I'd wait. And maybe they'll drop that ancient core2 duo cpu and make quad core computing on the Mac reasonably priced which it currently is not. Shockingly not.



    Plus, you'll probably be able to get a better gpu as standard.



    And who knows, they may even trim the price. But don't hold your breath on the last point.



    At the least, you should get more for your money, which can be the case. Unless Apple decide a 'side grade' with negligible improvements. Something which is not beneath them.



    Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,436moderator
    We're on the 32nm die-shrink of Nehalem currently and that's what the mobile chips have, which will go in the MBP. The iMac got the 45nm Nehalem chips last year for the high-end.



    The problem is, although there are i3 and i5 32nm chips they can use, a 32nm i7 won't be out until Q3 with the i7-970, which might be a Gulftown 6-core with 2 cores disabled.



    Plus, the i3 and i5 32nm chips are only dual core not quads. So they can't change the top end model but the 3 lowest iMac models including the base 27" can switch from a Core 2 Duo to a Core i3 or i5 32nm. The i3 doesn't have turbo-boost nor hardware virtualization so i5 is a better choice.



    If they went for the 3.2GHz Core i5-650 for example, they would bundle it with a better GPU that can switch off to give overall lower power consumption. This chip gives hardware virtualization and turbo-boost to 3.46GHz. It's definitely a good update to wait for.



    Only problem really is there's nothing else coming until Sandy Bridge Q1 2011 so they might hold it back for a while until the MBP goes 32nm, pretty much on Tuesday. I think the Mac Pro will update on Tuseday too up to the 6-core Xeons to give 12 CPUs.



    That takes care of the Pro line and in time for NAB this week where Apple are rumored to release a 64-bit Final Cut Studio with a little more than what they put in FCS3. They could bump the consumer line - iMac, Mini and Macbook in May before the iPhone in June but they could hold that consumer line back until afterwards for the back-to-school season.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Just to overlay some history on that very informed analysis, over the past 4 years or so iMac updates have ranged between 7 and 11 months. The last update was on Oct. 20, so by that pattern the earliest update would be late May and the latest would be September.



    Given the Intel schedule Marvin outlines above, seems reasonable to start looking for new iMacs in the fall, which isn't exactly "very soon." However, as Marvin points out, this update bodes to be a good one, so might be worth waiting for.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Am I the only one that thinks when the next iMac speed bump happens (hopefully this summer), we'll see the Lynnfield Core i7 870 as the high end BTO for the 27". It's the next (and final) logical step forward, while retaining the 45nm die. It's 2.93 GHz with a turbo boost to 3.6 GHz. and retains the current 95W temperature . Just my two cents worth. Take care!



    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2832
  • Reply 7 of 30
    mode 5mode 5 Posts: 59member
    There's also slightly cooler versions (82W) of the quad i5 & i7 available now that will hopefully make their way into the 21" iMac. From 65W C2D to 82W parts, wishful thinking?



    i5-750S (2.4GHz) i7-860S (2.53GHz)
  • Reply 8 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,369member
    The problem is pretty clear Apple can only update when Intels has offerings that provide for clear advantages. Frankly it isn't all crystal clear at this point, that there are real oportunies available. As we saw with the 13" MBP some of Intels new offerings force manufactures to give up to much design freedom. That can be due to the terrible integrated graphics or things like the lack of virtualization hardware outlined above. We might see an AMD based iMac before we see new Intel hardware in them.



    Given all of the above I'd simply go for a midrange machine. Either I5 or I7 based.



    Dave
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUDF0X View Post


    While I was checking out the $1,699 27 iMac at Best Buy, a customer said there may be a new version coming out very soon for the same price. I don't want to buy this computer right before a new upgraded version is released. Does anyone have any info on this?



    Thanks !!!



    I won't say that you wouldn't benefit in some way from getting an updated version if it came out reasonably soon, but honestly, I just got a 27 " iMac with the i7 quad core processor and that thing is smoking fast. I guess it depends on what you are seeking to be better in an upgraded version.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,737member
    The processor argument is iffy with Apple now looking at AMD for potential supplies of parts. Any speed increase to the integrated graphics alone will be worth more than the CPU horsepower. Again, it is a question of how long you can afford to wait.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I do not expect the iMacs to be updated anytime soon. There are no compelling newer CPUs from Intel and Apple have their hands full.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    ryan_khooryan_khoo Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    Just to overlay some history on that very informed analysis, over the past 4 years or so iMac updates have ranged between 7 and 11 months. The last update was on Oct. 20, so by that pattern the earliest update would be late May and the latest would be September.



    Given the Intel schedule Marvin outlines above, seems reasonable to start looking for new iMacs in the fall, which isn't exactly "very soon." However, as Marvin points out, this update bodes to be a good one, so might be worth waiting for.



    It is already May, still no news of the new 27" iMac ?



    We really have to wait until Sep ?
  • Reply 13 of 30
    pbpb Posts: 4,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryan_khoo View Post


    We really have to wait until Sep ?



    If statistics is of any use here, then this cannot be ruled out. There are two recent examples with update intervals of 11 months. Since the last update was on October 2009, we may see the next one around September 2010 if this is repeated. The fact that we had two updates during 2009 makes me feel that this is quite probable now.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    I will buy one in near future, i am also in dilemma for waiting or not. I am not in the CPU or GPU power but in screen dimension and SSD.



    Could there be an update on screen like 30'' ?



    Or may be a SSD update. And who know what we cannot think know... But for me these are the decision points.



    Any rumor or insider info about this? or even a speculation
  • Reply 15 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post


    The processor argument is iffy with Apple now looking at AMD for potential supplies of parts. Any speed increase to the integrated graphics alone will be worth more than the CPU horsepower. Again, it is a question of how long you can afford to wait.



    As a counter point to my earlier argument, Apple could update the iMacs to new GPU's right now. Frankly that would make the machines much better values as GPU's have a bigger impact on user perceptions than some give them credit for.



    The issue for the potential buyer is the wait worth it. I'd say no if you don't currently have a usable computer. On the flip side though if your computing resources are old, creaky or nonexistent than buy now. Just buy enough i86 cores to power GCD into thee next few years. By that I mean at least 4 threads. On the iMac that means stepping up a model or two.



    Dave
  • Reply 16 of 30
    mode 5mode 5 Posts: 59member
    I don't think there's been a single rumour about the next revision of the iMac yet, but then there hasn't been any rumours about the macbook either and it's obviously about to update.



    The sparkling iPad / iPhone spectacular sucks all the rumour hunting editorial oxygen these days, which makes sense, and the ho humming of computer line updates just have to keep themselves warm in the afterglow.





    When the macbook does update it will have considerably better graphics than both the base model iMac and the mini. Add that to the mostly i5 i7 macbook pros and you'd have to expect the iMacs to move soon(ish).
  • Reply 17 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    IMO, very unlikely there will be a new iMac refresh until after the MacBook, MacBook Air and iPhone updates. So I'm thinking maybe July or even August. Apple could push it out to September even to then just prep the iMac for holiday sales frenzy.



    Right now everyone is working their a** off at Apple looking at October, November, December, they'll be planning to move at least 5 million units of iPads internationally in that quarter alone, and maybe 25 million units of iPhone 4Gs internationally in that quarter alone.



    MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac mini, I forsee, will just be minor updates through this whole year, where they happen.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode 5 View Post


    I don't think there's been a single rumour about the next revision of the iMac yet, but then there hasn't been any rumours about the macbook either and it's obviously about to update...



    The MacBook vietnam leak seemed a pretty good rumour/ leak. I expect that to go official in 12 hours.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    mode 5mode 5 Posts: 59member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post


    The MacBook vietnam leak seemed a pretty good rumour/ leak. I expect that to go official in 12 hours.



    I figured that was less like a rumour/leak and more like one of those CONFIRMED moments that used to happen on sites like this.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,369member
    One thing this old guy forgot about is back to school marketing. This could lead to a bump release around the end of June. Actually with a new GPUs across the board the bump could be rather significant.
Sign In or Register to comment.