Apple halts retail orders for MacBook Pros ahead of new models

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    cylackcylack Posts: 26member
    Movist is a great video player. Also take a look at MPlayer OSX Extended; it is 64-bit native and the developer updates the app frequently.
  • Reply 82 of 111
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I doubt it but I wonder of the 10.6.3 1.1 update (released just moments ago) has anything to do with support for tomorrow's hardware.
  • Reply 83 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iZilla View Post

Hi Everyone,

I am excited to say I just ordered my first Mac yesterday. I got a 15" 2.8G mac and it was ordered on Friday April 09, 2010. I was notified that the new Mac would possibly come out on the 13th and that is when my item is supposedly going to be shipped. Does this mean that my new mac will be one of the new computers that will be released by Apple or will it be one of the older models?

Thanks for your time!

Please let us know what you get!
  • Reply 84 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I doubt it but I wonder of the 10.6.3 1.1 update (released just moments ago) has anything to do with support for tomorrow's hardware.

Makes you wonder sometimes......
  • Reply 85 of 111
    I know Apple normally announces new products on Tuesdays but wouldn't it make more sense for Wednesday? Seeing how they will be at Nab
  • Reply 86 of 111
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

as for all the computer cracks, Apple is just going where the market is. The world is going mobile. So they have launched a mobile form, folks wanted a bigger screen on that form, they got it. Doesn't mean that they are forgetting desktops or laptops. They are just trying to give what the market wants. And remember the market is more than geeks. It's your mama's too.

I think that you are right WRT laptops; they are mobile devices. Apple is already concentrating most heavily on their mobile devices.

But clearly desktops are NOT where the market is going. Apple is a mobile device company now.
  • Reply 87 of 111
    "first significant updates...in over a year"?

wow i guess AI really expects this to be on par with the unibody introduction in october '08. otherwise the last minor changes were at wwdc last june (minor spec bumps, price drops, sd card), 10 months ago.

I guess a whole change in processor generation would be good enough reason to add other features as well. I just hope they're not all too busy with iPad and iPhone OS 4
  • Reply 88 of 111
    Store inventory managers do not order product - orders are generated based on sales. Not aware of high volume stores that manually order products and I am sure Apple does not leave it up to store inventory managers to decide how many iPads, etc. a store is going to have. Apple stores are running out of iMacs and iPads. Does that mean there is already a new iPad and iMac?
  • Reply 89 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardcashe View Post

Store inventory managers do not order product - orders are generated based on sales. Not aware of high volume stores that manually order products and I am sure Apple does not leave it up to store inventory managers to decide how many iPads, etc. a store is going to have. Apple stores are running out of iMacs and iPads. Does that mean there is already a new iPad and iMac?

It's very clear that you haven't followed Apple's hardware updates over the past 13 years.
  • Reply 90 of 111
    So how well will a 15" MBP bought last September hold its value on eBay? Time to look at upgrading
  • Reply 91 of 111
    fontsfonts Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Tomorrow's the day... YAY!

Yeah!

I can buy an i3/i5 Apple for 4x the price of a PC version with 1/2 the hardware?

Wow that logo is worth it.

Never mind I can buy the PC, install VMware and run OSX, Win 7 , Linux, etc., all at a higher speed...

Wooph de do and I only have to use twice as many mouse clicks on OSX to do anything!

And only have to use Activity Monitor to kill processes all the time!

But I do love having to use Terminal to issue Unix command line instructions if I want to do anything some "ad 'different'".

Gee I might as well buy an iPad.

Does anyone have a copy of the Apple 1984 SuperBowl commercial handy?
  • Reply 92 of 111
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cylack View Post

Movist is a great video player. Also take a look at MPlayer OSX Extended; it is 64-bit native and the developer updates the app frequently.

It can never play anything well on my powerbook g4, unlike vlc, dunno why...
  • Reply 93 of 111
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coloredtoad View Post

I know Apple normally announces new products on Tuesdays but wouldn't it make more sense for Wednesday?

Either way, today is definitely not the day. The European stores are still up. If an update was scheduled for today, they would be down by now.
  • Reply 94 of 111
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I don't know if I should get my hopes up. We're about less than 12 hours away from Tupperware Tuesday. (Why Tupperware? Don't ask. I don't know myself) ... OK make that Tantalising Tuesday Tattletale Talismanic Too-good-to-be-true-updates.

Short response: I hope its tomorrow (Tuesday morning US time)but I'm not getting my hopes up in case I feel like smashing something if it doesn't happen. I rate 50% 50% it might happen.

Howeverr... Next week that increases to a 75% 25% chance of MacBook Pros being released. Global inventory reports are starting to be convincing.
  • Reply 95 of 111
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

The raw speed is not all that important.

But of course. You have GPU, fsb and so many more things to consider. But it's time for four cores. Load logic, several instances of spectrasonics omni, drum plu in and it gives you that overload warning which I might add, does it less so in regular, good ole Leopard.

I say four cores or awesome upgrade. Why? I'm seeing a lot of my Apple nin creative pro friends sell the MacBook pro get an ipad and iMac. Apple needs something wow in laptops right now.
  • Reply 96 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Either way, today is definitely not the day. The European stores are still up. If an update was scheduled for today, they would be down by now.

If they are not down by 2PM UTC then I would say no updates. We've got a few hours to see...
  • Reply 97 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

But of course. You have GPU, fsb and so many more things to consider. But it's time for four cores. Load logic, several instances of spectrasonics omni, drum plu in and it gives you that overload warning which I might add, does it less so in regular, good ole Leopard.

I say four cores or awesome upgrade. Why? I'm seeing a lot of my Apple nin creative pro friends sell the MacBook pro get an ipad and iMac. Apple needs something wow in laptops right now.

LoL Omnisphere. What a beast.
  • Reply 98 of 111
    Too close to iPad and iPhone OS 4.0 is my worry. Which means only next week updates.

Never mind multitasking on iPhone, HOW ABOUT APPLE MULTITASKING BETTER HEY, RE: PRODUCT LAUNCHES AND UPDATES

...It's really let's focus on one thing at a time with good ol' Apple when it comes to product launches and updates.

Edit: Maybe it's for the better that way. I dunno.
  • Reply 99 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avidfcp View Post

Arrandale is only 2 cores across the whole line, except for the non-Arrandale mobile i7 which I hear is a power hungry beastly thing. With hyperthreading on IIRC Core i5 Arrandales you get 4 logical cores, hopefully OS X and apps can make the most of hyperthreading.
  • Reply 100 of 111
    I hope the get rid if the stupid and more than annoying glossy screens. I really wonder who came up with them. You can't work with them properly because it's like a freaking mirror. The worst idea ever...