Week two: Apple stores still finding it tough to keep iPad in stock

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    jaypresjaypres Posts: 16member
    This must be a deliberate attempt by Apple to create an artificial demand for iPad.

• Reply 42 of 59
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Being a cheapskate, erm, frugal - I went looking for my iPad from a source where I wouldn't have to pay state sales tax.

Turns out authorized Apple retailers often have them in stock - including online retailers. They still aren't allowed to accept online orders. BUT - they can accept telephone orders.

I cranked up Skype and called Mac Connection - placed my order last Thursday - and received it, Friday afternoon.

They had said it might take as long as 3 weeks to be back in stock and get to me - and then came up with the critter and shipped it to me next-day air. Still free freight. Still no state sales tax.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I think analysts will be surprised by how many people are waiting for the 3G model.

Or how many are buying both the Wifi model and the 3G model. Or more iPads in general for their household.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    q dudeq dude Posts: 16member
    I'm buying one tomorrow (my afternoon is wide open) if they are still in stock. I can't wait to have this around the house. The whole family will love it.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    russellrussell Posts: 296member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Posted this in another thread but it's a better fit here... This was in response to last weeks article where Apple announced 450 iPads have sold as of ... Thursday AM west coast time I guess...

Lets make this simple...

Saturday 300k 1st day (includes pre-orders)

Sunday (Easter not really a 'retail day')

Monday + Tuesday + Wednesday = 150k (making 450k total)

150k / 3 = 50k per day

50k / 24 = 2083 per hour

2083 / 60 = ~35 per minute

Or apx. 1 iPad sold every 2 seconds since the release.

Question is, can that pace continue?

To reach 10m sold in 1 year they need to maintain sales of apx ~1141 per hour at present they are tracking almost twice that AND 3G models AS WELL AS INTERNATIONAL models haven't yet shipped. These numbers are very early in the game so anything is possible but... I'm thinking 10m might not be that big of a stretch.

Doesn't anybody find Apple's claim of 300k iPads sold in 1 day misleading? It makes their daily average much higher than it really is.

Pre-sales started on 3/12, more than 3 weeks earlier. That makes it at best, 100k per week.

In reality, they held back orders and shipped 300k in 1 day. The 300k "sold" include deliveries to channel partners like Best Buy. According to Cnet, Best Buy took 4 days to completely sell out of their iPads.

It took 27 days to sell 300k iPads.

11,187.31 a day, 78,311.17 a week. Much less than what they want you to believe.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Doesn't anybody find Apple's claim of 300k iPads sold in 1 day misleading? It makes their daily average much higher than it really is.

Pre-sales started on 3/12, more than 3 weeks earlier. That makes it at best, 100k per week.

In reality, they held back orders and shipped 300k in 1 day. The 300k "sold" include deliveries to channel partners like Best Buy. According to Cnet, Best Buy took 4 days to completely sell out of their iPads.

11,187.31 a day, 78,311.17 a week. Much less than what they want you to believe.

It looks like someone doesn't understand what 'pre' means.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I wonder what his estimate would be if he knew there was no requirement to pay for a data plan.

Then why fork out the cash if you aren't getting a data plan? Essentially you have to buy a data plan or you are just throwing money away.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Then why fork out the cash if you aren't getting a data plan? Essentially you have to buy a data plan or you are just throwing money away.

I plan to get the 3g version so that the 3 or 4 times a year when I am not near a wifi hotspot, I can still get online. The nice thing about how apple and AT&T set this up (if I understand it correctly), is that you can sign up for a month at a time with no penalties.

I hate being without internet access and it would be worth it for me to fork over the $130 over the life of the device + the $30 a few times a year to be connected.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Quote:

Not having a requirement to pay for a data plan is not the same as not needing or wanting a pay-as-you-go data plan for the occasional trip.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

So you are suggesting that if they didn't have pre-orders they would have sold fewer iPads on launch day than any day after the initial launch? As the other person indicated, I don't think you understand the concept of pre-orders.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It looks like someone doesn't understand what 'pre' means.

Pre-sale basically means you can order it but we won't charge you until we ship it.

It's not like 300k people suddenly decided, on the same day, to buy the iPad.

Edit: I meant to write-

It's not like 300k people suddenly decided to buy the iPad on the same day.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Quote:

It's not like 300k people suddenly decided, on the same day, to buy the iPad.

Oy vey.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

So you are suggesting that if they didn't have pre-orders they would have sold fewer iPads on launch day than any day after the initial launch? As the other person indicated, I don't think you understand the concept of pre-orders.

I'm suggesting their claim 300k sold in 1 day is misleading. Digging deeper an finding out how they got their numbers reveals how they distorted the truth.

From the title of their April 5th press release, Apple Sells Over 300,000 iPads First Day, makes it sound like 300k or so, people bought them. When in fact they are including units shipped to wholesalers, who are not end-users.

"...These sales included deliveries of pre-ordered iPads to customers, deliveries to channel partners and sales at Apple Retail Stores..."

We know it took 4 days for Best Buy to sell all of their units. Who are these other "channel partners". How long did it take for them to sell theirs? 4 days? 5 or 6?

300k in 1 day is an exaggeration.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

The 3G version also has GPS capability, which unless I misunderstand, works whether or not you sign up for 3G service.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

I'm suggesting their claim 300k sold in 1 day is misleading. Digging deeper an finding out how they got their numbers reveals how they distorted the truth.

"CUPERTINO, California?April 5, 2010?Apple® today announced that it sold over 300,000 iPads in the US as of midnight Saturday, April 3. These sales included deliveries of pre-ordered iPads to customers, deliveries to channel partners and sales at Apple Retail Stores

How much clearer does it have to be?
  • Reply 56 of 59
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I think analysts will be surprised by how many people are waiting for the 3G model.

Very. MacConnection began taking phone orders and shipping out units on the morning of Thursday April 1st. Since they ship free ground, none arrived at their buyers until the next week.

I think the 64GB 3G model is the only one to buy. Getting mine from the first wave of shipments from MacConnection's Ohio warehouse. People are going to fill their smaller capacity models sooner than they expect. They are also going to soon realize they need a G3 connection and wish they had waited as well. Anyone care to guess how soon we get them? I'm hoping it could be as soon as next week. I receive my Apple iPad Case from MacConnection via UPS tomorrow morning.

FYI: ZAGG.com is offering up to 50% off on their Invisible Shields for iPad and anything else they sell including a new In-Ear Headset with mic and volume controls better than Apple's In Ear model if you simply enter their sweepstakes to win a free iPad EACH WEEK all this month. Last week I got a 40% off checkout code and today I got a 50% off code. So I only had to pay $20 for the Maximum Shield + $40 for the headset - free shipping.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The 3G version also has GPS capability, which unless I misunderstand, works whether or not you sign up for 3G service.

#1 reason to only buy the 3G model in my opinion. All GPS Apps won't work on non-3G iPads.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Why is it that some people think what they want and/or need is what everyone else should want and/or need?
  • Reply 58 of 59
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

GPS. data plans not required, Plus the data plan is easily invoked and UN-invoked as needed.
  • Reply 59 of 59
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

GPS. data plans not required, Plus the data plan is easily invoked and UN-invoked as needed.

iPhone and MyWi takes care of all of that. I just can not see using this thing for any sort of GPS activities. Outdoors the screen is useless. Tried using it at my kids ballgame the first day I got it, not happening.