Apple exploring enhanced online store with social networking

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    What makes this patentable (seriously?) I understand that no one has all of these features on their sites, per se, but what is exactly patentable here? The layout? The underlying functionality?

All I see is prior art, it's just all mashed together into an online storefront.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

What makes this patentable (seriously?) I understand that no one has all of these features on their sites, per se, but what is exactly patentable here? The layout? The underlying functionality?

All I see is prior art, it's just all mashed together into an online storefront.

If that is the case then they won't be granted the patent or if it is granted it won't be easily defendable in court. But you have to wonder if a company as big as Apple is wasting their time filing the patent after vetting it with their patent lawyers that their is probably something unique to it that we aren't seeing.

Case in point, many don't see how 1-Click can patentable, yet Amazon has held for 11 years and Apple has licensed for 10 years. Yeah, Apple paying a license fee to Amazon for features that already existed in some form.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Case in point, many don't see how 1-Click can patentable, yet Amazon has held for 11 years and Apple has licensed for 10 years. Yeah, Apple paying a license fee to Amazon for features that already existed in some form.

Good point.

I somehow missed this when I read it the first time:

By hovering her mouse over the product, Alice is presented with the number of people currently looking at the software and the percentage of people site-wide with that product in their shopping cart.

Don't think I've seen that before. Not sure, though, that someone should be able to patent it either.

Of course, I don't hold any patents and have no idea what is patentable and what isn't. In my mind the original iPod was just a Walkman with a hard drive, so...
  • Reply 24 of 28
    taniatania Posts: 63member
    although, i understand the appeal i do foresee this social networking to be more a burden to Apple's main function. They'll have to built a new profit mechanism should this package be offered free. not to mention how it'll be a magnet for just about every Apple hater trolls on Earth to gather. Just about any sites or forum that has any post about Apple always ends becoming vitriolic. Even the once untouchable arstechnica has fallen victim. Now Apple plans to give them a permanent home.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Don't think I've seen that before. Not sure, though, that someone should be able to patent it either.

Whether the category is patentable or not is an entirely different discussion. My feelings is that no software or ideas that will be rendered entirely in software should fall under typical patent laws, nor should they fall under typical copyright laws, yet they have aspect of each and should form a new category of protection.

Quote:

In my mind the original iPod was just a Walkman with a hard drive, so...

I never saw the interest in the iPod. It wasn't until the iPod mini that I finally said "I have to have one". I see a lot of the iPad in the original iPod. No one needed it and few saw the potential for its wide success, the major difference is that Apple under Jobs2.0 had no wins under their belt to reassure their fans and stockholders.

If you haven't seen the iPod announcement from 2001 it's an interesting watch. Note the audience seems a bit confused by Apple Computers showing off a silly music gadget.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tania View Post

although, i understand the appeal i do foresee this social networking to be more a burden to Apple's main function. They'll have to built a new profit mechanism should this package be offered free. not to mention how it'll be a magnet for just about every Apple hater trolls on Earth to gather. Just about any sites or forum that has any post about Apple always ends becoming vitriolic. Even the once untouchable arstechnica has fallen victim. Now Apple plans to give them a permanent home.

Post of the day!

I wholeheartedly agree with you. But hopefully that should rid AI of some hooligans, once they realize there's a whole new world to be had out there...

Dan
  • Reply 27 of 28
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    With the talk of virtual salespeople they still need to do something to make it closer to the real world stores actually have. In real stores, the stores with premium stuff usually have people that are pleasant, look good, are friendly and fun to chat to whilst you sort through the options. It's blatantly obvious that they're hired for those reasons. How can they recreate all of that though in their store?
  • Reply 28 of 28
    I actually sent Apple an email suggesting they add social networking to iTunes accounts centered around the content, much like YouTube is centered around video.

In the meantime we got sites like www.MacZoom.com, www.Cupidtino.com, www.MyAppleSpace.com and others.