Web use of Apple iPad already rivals Android, BlackBerry

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With more than 500,000 units sold in its first week, Apple's iPad has tracked as high as 0.04 percent of total daily Web browsing, a number equal to March averages for the Android and BlackBerry platforms, according to a Web analysis firm.



Net Applications has been tracking the presence of the iPad online since the device was released on April 3. On its launch day, the iPad took an estimated 0.01 percent of all Web browser traffic, and continued to climb to its peak of 0.04 percent on April 10 and 11.



As noted by Gregg Keizer of Computerworld, the iPad's share is nearly as great as usage of BlackBerry or Google Android on the Web. In the month of March, Net Applications found that BlackBerry had an average 0.04 percent share, while Android, split between versions 1.5 and 1.6, had the exact same figure. While the iPad achieved 0.04 percent for a couple of days, it has not yet sustained those numbers.



The statistics also show that iPhone and iPod touch devices are responsible for 0.6 percent of total Web browsing, an online presence about 20 times larger than the iPad managed to achieve in its first week.



Apple this week revealed that it sold more than 500,000 iPads in the device's first week of availability. While the overall market presence of Android and BlackBerry phones dwarfs the number of iPads in the wild, the new statistics suggest that early adopters of the iPad have been far more likely to browse the Web on their new device than owners of BlackBerries or Android handsets.







Also coming in with a 0.04 percent share, like the iPad, BlackBerry and Android, was Windows ME, Microsoft's much maligned operating system released in the year 2000. For comparison, Windows XP is a whopping 64.46 percent of all Web browsing. Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is represented by 2.13 percent of all computers on the Web, while its predecessor, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, takes up a slightly larger 2.26 percent.



Net Applications also found that Google is the dominant search engine on Apple's iPad, responsible for 97.43 percent of all searches conducted from the device. The iPad operating system, iPhone OS 3.2, has Google as the default search engine in its Mobile Safari Web browser. Users can go into the system settings and change the default to Yahoo, which carries 1.98 percent of iPad searches.







Microsoft's Bing, which has been rumored for months to potentially become the default search engine of the iPhone, was third with 0.27 percent of all iPad searches. Ask took fourth with 0.13 percent, and AOL fifth with 0.8 percent.



Early this year, the Web analysis firm found that the iPhone OS on the iPhone and iPod touch continued to grow, then taking 0.43 percent of all Web traffic. The data found that although the iPhone and iPod touch represented just 17 percent of global handsets, the two devices are responsible for 65 percent of all handheld Web browsing. Apple's ecosystem also controls half of all mobile application usage, AdMob has found.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 54
    Just out of curiousity, why is it ok to compare ipads to blackberrys? Don't they exist for two different reasons? I see android based OS being a good comparison to iphone OS, but... i dunno, i'm confused.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 31,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post


    Just out of curiousity, why is it ok to compare ipads to blackberrys? Don't they exist for two different reasons? I see android based OS being a good comparison to iphone OS, but... i dunno, i'm confused.



    It's not a good comparison.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    It's not a good comparison.



    Maybe not but their are a lot more Android phones out there and WAY more Blackberries though Blackberries are pretty much ass at anything but email.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josephwinters View Post


    Just out of curiousity, why is it ok to compare ipads to blackberrys? Don't they exist for two different reasons? I see android based OS being a good comparison to iphone OS, but... i dunno, i'm confused.



    They are both mobile devices. In that categorization, they are similar enough.



    If you want to restrict the iPad to narrower categories, it could form a category of its own in which it would have 100% of the market.



    But that yields less information.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    This just shows that iPhone and iPad owners have too much free time on their hands to watch videos of people's cats doing strange things.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post


    They are both mobile devices. In that categorization, they are similar enough.



    If you want to restrict the iPad to narrower categories, it could form a category of its own in which it would have 100% of the market.



    But that yields less information.



    It is merely an intriguing data point at this stage. We'll have to see after other similar devices come out, whether it continues to be borne out. I doubt that it will be borne out, since everything in this category is more likely than not a web-/internet-access device. Prevalence of web use will be primarily a function of market share of the device.



    However, if I was a carrier doing capacity planning, I can see why information like this could be useful: I can try and extrapolate from data use of existing mobile devices.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    considering 400,000 of those are likely on eBay and not available for surfing yet.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    I use AtomicBrowser which can broadcast your browser as Safari Desktop instead of Safari Mobile (I hate mobile websites on the ipad) That may throw off their stats a bit.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by colinwhitworth View Post


    This just shows that iPhone and iPad owners have too much free time on their hands to watch videos of people's cats doing strange things.



    this is your first comment? thanks for sharing that with us
  • Reply 10 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 7,060member
    For each day that passes it's gets harder to take the iPad critics seriously. They have their opinions and the rest of the world seems to be ignoring them. I, for one, WILL be purchasing a 3G model when they become available. I'm not waiting for the rumored camera since I really don't see the point of trying to take a picture with a device of this size. I'm also not into video chatting or social networks. The iPad will be my portable web device, with me at all times. No need for a laptop or netbook for my personal use. Contrary to the critics the iPad is indeed a game changer.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 7,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by colinwhitworth View Post


    This just shows that iPhone and iPad owners have too much free time on their hands to watch videos of people's cats doing strange things.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post


    this is your first comment? thanks for sharing that with us



    The moderators are getting pretty good at detecting drive by trolls. We all saw how long Josh B. lasted.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    boogabooga Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    For each day that passes it's gets harder to take the iPad critics seriously. They have their opinions and the rest of the world seems to be ignoring them. I, for one, WILL be purchasing a 3G model when they become available. I'm not waiting for the rumored camera since I really don't see the point of trying to take a picture with a device of this size. I'm also not into video chatting or social networks. The iPad will be my portable web device, with me at all times. No need for a laptop or netbook for my personal use. Contrary to the critics the iPad is indeed a game changer.



    I'll be getting a 3G as well, but I was really looking hoping for a front-facing camera. If I had that I could videochat with the kids while on travel and it would replace 99% of my personal laptop travel needs. (My company doesn't let us do any personal stuff on the company laptop, including personal email, Facebook, etc., which in a pre-iPad world meant two laptops on every trip.)
  • Reply 13 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    Pleased as punch with my 32GB Wifi model.



    Soon i'll buy a Cradlepoint hotspot and leverage my unlimited WIMAX connection. Then you'll see some web use coming from me.



    You know the game changer here may not even be the form factor or the software. It may truly be the battery life. I just can't get over how efficient these things are. I'll sit an watch video or run apps with a nice bright screen and the iPad just sips battery like hot tea.



    I imagine by version 3 the battery life will be up to 15 hours and by version 5 you'll have the first tablets that can last a full 24 hrs on a charge.



    Game Changer folks. Never having to worry about being away from a wall AC socket yet still be connected and using Wifi and Bluetooth.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Surprising. I have to pass on the iPad myself. For a device who's killer app is surfing the web, I just can see sitting on the couch with my shiny $499 toy and I want to visit a site that has flash content. So I put my new toy down, get up and go to the iMac and visit the site. Then go back to the couch and continue surfing see how far I get before I have to put it down again.





    Just my opinion. I'm fully aware that Flash is evil and must be destroyed at all costs.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Pleased as punch with my 32GB Wifi model.



    Soon i'll buy a Cradlepoint hotspot and leverage my unlimited WIMAX connection. Then you'll see some web use coming from me.



    You know the game changer here may not even be the form factor or the software. It may truly be the battery life. I just can't get over how efficient these things are. I'll sit an watch video or run apps with a nice bright screen and the iPad just sips battery like hot tea.



    I imagine by version 3 the battery life will be up to 15 hours and by version 5 you'll have the first tablets that can last a full 24 hrs on a charge.



    Game Changer folks. Never having to worry about being away from a wall AC socket yet still be connected and using Wifi and Bluetooth.



    A bit off topic. I read one of your other posts where you talked about getting a case becuase you were afraid of dropping it while cleaning the screen. Did you get one yet and if so are you happy with it.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 7,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post


    Surprising. I have to pass on the iPad myself. For a device who's killer app is surfing the web, I just can see sitting on the couch with my shiny $499 toy and I want to visit a site that has flash content. So I put my new toy down, get up and go to the iMac and visit the site. Then go back to the couch and continue surfing see how far I get before I have to put it down again.





    Just my opinion. I'm fully aware that Flash is evil and must be destroyed at all costs.



    It's going to happen much sooner than you think, regardless of what Adobe says or does. Flash isn't really evil. It's just proprietary and currently dominates the web, much like IE did years ago. I recall with anger and frustration all of the "Windows only" web sites. As Macs users we were told sorry, too bad, so sad. Now the shoe is on the other foot. Adobe is being told too bad, so sad by Apple and Apple has the power to influence the pace of the change. Users will be telling web sites to get with the plan and support the iPad instead of the other way around. Becasue HTLM5 is not propritary the "evil Apple is trying to control the internet" argument won't hold water. And IE no longer dictates how web sites are coded either. Time marches on. Flash is old. Apple is just trying to grease the skids.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post


    Surprising. I have to pass on the iPad myself. For a device who's killer app is surfing the web, I just can see sitting on the couch with my shiny $499 toy and I want to visit a site that has flash content.



    Huh?!!?!?!



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x58K4fA9wXI



    Flash is a really bad reason to pass on the iPad especially given the above software.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,268member
    I haven't bought a case yet. I'm still kind of waiting to see with Otterbox does for the iPad as i'm happy with their iPhone case.



    I'll give it another couple of weeks and then I've got to buy something that'll hold the iPad and Cradlepoint comfortably.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    [QUOTE Prevalence of web use will be primarily a function of market share of the device.

    [/QUOTE]



    Not necessarily. I love my iPhone and surf the web a lot. My wife loves her blackberry, but if she surfs she does it on her computer because she likes a large screen. Besides, BB sold nearly 11 million phones last quarter, and if I recall, they still have a slightly higher market share than Apple. However, for whatever reason, people do not tend to surf with a BB.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grking View Post


    [QUOTE Prevalence of web use will be primarily a function of market share of the device.





    Not necessarily. I love my iPhone and surf the web a lot. My wife loves her blackberry, but if she surfs she does it on her computer because she likes a large screen. Besides, BB sold nearly 11 million phones last quarter, and if I recall, they still have a slightly higher market share than Apple. However, for whatever reason, people do not tend to surf with a BB.



    Because the experience is that much worse on a blackberry than it is on an iPhone. The small usability functions iPhone OS gives us we take for granted, the blackberry crowd wish they had a device as well executed and as usable as iPhone OS/Mobile Safari.
Sign In or Register to comment.