First Look: Pairing the new 2010 17 inch MacBook Pro with iPad

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

You do not get it. We are not talking about content creation here. Just content consumption! The iPad cannot even properly display iWork or Office files created on a Mac, as previously explained. That is.

There are some who disagree: Computer World
  • Reply 82 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

You do not get it. We are not talking about content creation here. Just content consumption! The iPad cannot even properly display iWork or Office files created on a Mac, as previously explained. That is.

Firstly, I'm not planning on buying an iPad neartime. It will evolve, and I think quickly.

My reaction is creative, imaginative. It is ever so much more simple to use than a laptop, just look at it. How about a new simpler, more intuitive interface for ancient Word and IWork. It just screams innovation, creativity, imagination. Instead of a hard drive how 'bout making use of the concept of cloud computing, that is just in its early infancy. Somebody will figure out the answers to the many questions and problems, because they want to sell the next invention, not just an improved version of today's invention. The iPad has potential all over and through it, while the laptop already has the suspicious look of an incipient dinosaur.

I might be wrong, but not about the evolution of computing away from the fixed device to the truly mobile one. Dream a little and stop complaining!
  • Reply 83 of 86
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

I wish it was possible to use iPad as 2nd Monitor with MBP! And why stop there? Tethering for MBP + iPad + iPhone + International Roaming!!! Hey, dreaming is allowed, right?!

There's an app for that: http://www.shapeservices.com/en/prod...latform=iphone

I like the idea someone mentioned about having their 17" MBP with them for work as needed, but using an iPad for basic needs and media consumption while in transit. I'm sure there are laptop bags available that have a large main compartment that would fit a 17" and have a smaller internal pocket that would fit an iPad as well.
  • Reply 84 of 86
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

There's an app for that: http://www.shapeservices.com/en/prod...latform=iphone

I like the idea someone mentioned about having their 17" MBP with them for work as needed, but using an iPad for basic needs and media consumption while in transit. I'm sure there are laptop bags available that have a large main compartment that would fit a 17" and have a smaller internal pocket that would fit an iPad as well.

That does sound nice, but I still wonder about the lack of a file sharing scheme other than email (and iTunes - forgot). I guess if you were not using your iPad to create files except email it wouldn't be much of an issue.
  • Reply 85 of 86
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    If the camera connection kit was actually just a generic pair of SD/USB dongles and allowed for full file transfers, not just pictures, that would work. You have to hook up to a computer to sync stuff thru iTunes anyway tho, so I wonder if there is a way (yet or coming in iPad 2) to move those created files back and forth that way.
  • Reply 86 of 86
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Either learn to write a cron script with rsync or get Unison for two-way synchronization. Easy, effective, reliable thanks to OSX's Unix origins.

I'll be replacing my 17" MBP with a couple ipad's, a MacMini, and my wife's 13" MBP. Can't justify $2600 to my partners for a laptop when they get a $1500 Dell. (Interestingly, the Apple Care is what kills the sale.). Apple will get about the same money, but the "High End" gets replaced with "trinkets"

I am aware of many sync utilities, i was saying it should be bundled with the OS (a new feature for Time Machine or a much more sophisticated iSync?).

Do you really need a couple of Pads a Mini and a 13 book ? just get the book, i love it, portable, somewhat powerful ... has a usb port ...