Notes of interest from Apple's Q2 2010 conference call

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Once upon a time... it was a safe bet that Apple was strictly a 'buy on rumor/speculation' and then 'sell on news' since the buyers felt the stock had little chance of continued upward movement once the NEWS hit. (since the buyers drove up the price to INCLUDE the 'news of tomorrow' and the drop was always considered a leveling off period where the 'suckers' who were banking on AAPL to go up ON the day of the keynote sold off when the stock didn't rise.

The trick is and really always has been separating the news from the rumors. Much easier said than done at the best of times.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

A 3D iPad would rule!

That would be very cool, but I think highly unlikely this early in the product's life.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Best part of that movie. Good one...

What about Fuddruckers?
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Dear AppleInsider,

If you look at this chart, you will find that many of the 'pros' you have cited in the past for information about Apple are worse than a monkey throwing darts at a board. It's almost as bad as any tech article quoting Robert Enderle for anything. So please do us a favor in the future and refrain from quoting Shaw Wu, Richard Gardner, Kathryn Huberty, and the rest of these Wall Street know-nothings when it comes to Apple.

(Note that the people listed at the top are not professional Wall Street insiders.)

I agree 1000%... yes, I said one-thousand percent!

Team AI, just do everyone a blessed favor and quote only Turley Muller, Andy Zaky and those few other outsiders who do not have their heads up their butts from now on. As we already know, Huberty, Wu, etc. are like poison and can't feed themselves without an instruction guide.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    sevenfeetsevenfeet Posts: 466member
    When the story of Apple is written as a part of many business school case studies in future years, one of the more interesting topics is how Apple managed to get through the Great Recession and managing to kick the living crap out of sales and profitability targets from quarter to quarter. I mean seriously these numbers any company would kill for, but during this economy in a mostly consumer-focused business? Seriously?

And of course next quarter we'll see iPad sales, new Macbook Pros and an iPhone at the tail end. This company's performance is truly scary. A $60 billion run rate is certainly possible this year. Margins are above 40%(!!!). $47 billion in the bank. The list goes on and on...
  • Reply 46 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

When the story of Apple is written as a part of many business school case studies in future years, one of the more interesting topics is how Apple managed to get through the Great Recession and managing to kick the living crap out of sales and profitability targets from quarter to quarter. I mean seriously these numbers any company would kill for, but during this economy in a mostly consumer-focused business? Seriously?

And of course next quarter we'll see iPad sales, new Macbook Pros and an iPhone at the tail end. This company's performance is truly scary. A $60 billion run rate is certainly possible this year. Margins are above 40%(!!!). $47 billion in the bank. The list goes on and on...

Jobs will surely go down in history as one of the greatest marketers and CEOs in the history of American business... that is, until they locate the body of that iPhone losing kid stuffed in the trunk of his car.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    dr.nodr.no Posts: 75member
    Any word on their German Beer expenses? I think they might take a hit on that this quarter. Like the barroom floor.

"Thish Iphfone ish GREAT - havesh yoush sheeen thish - here! Take thish from me, I'm too drunk to usesh thish thing. NO Gwaaaan take itsh home witsh you and play with it. I've got to go passh out."
  • Reply 48 of 60
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Dear AppleInsider,

If you look at this chart, you will find that many of the 'pros' you have cited in the past for information about Apple are worse than a monkey throwing darts at a board. It's almost as bad as any tech article quoting Robert Enderle for anything. So please do us a favor in the future and refrain from quoting Shaw Wu, Richard Gardner, Kathryn Huberty, and the rest of these Wall Street know-nothings when it comes to Apple.

I have repeated this time and time again.

Gartner, Wu, Munster, Huberty, and Enderle are poor barometers of the tech market and horrifically inept at predicting what Apple will do. Heck, I wouldn't even ask them for the time of day -- they'd probably be off by three hours.

If you're gonna quote someone, pick a star analyst like Marshall or Abramsky, maybe Hargreaves (not on the list).
  • Reply 49 of 60
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post

[snip]

Any word on their German Beer expenses? I think they might take a hit on that this quarter. Like the barroom floor.

[/snip]

Yea, that's what i mean...

I'm surprised no one mentioned it here before me

Dan
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

The ASP for the iphone dropped by quite a bit ($16).

Yeah. That must be why profits were up 90%.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah. That must be why profits were up 90%.

these are not incompatible statements. Give the rolleyes a miss.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

these are not incompatible statements. Give the rolleyes a miss.

Of course they are not.

(Perhaps I should have had "/sarcasm" instead of Oh, btw, I recommend that you check the history of samab's posts).
  • Reply 53 of 60
    x38x38 Posts: 97member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...]

Apple TV: "The units were up for the quarter 34 percent year over year, but the absolute number of units are small, and we still classify the product as a hobby for the company."

[...]

"A number of us love the product, use the product, and we continue to think there's something interesting there and we continue to invest in it."

[...]

If they add a DVR capability to Apple TV, I'd order one immediately. Without a DVR, I've got no use for it. This is very simple - Apple TV could be a serious product line if it had a DVR. Otherwise it will remain a niche device that will never really catch on. Apple's stubbornness on this point makes less & less sense every year.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

If they add a DVR capability to Apple TV, I'd order one immediately. Without a DVR, I've got no use for it. This is very simple - Apple TV could be a serious product line if it had a DVR. Otherwise it will remain a niche device that will never really catch on. Apple's stubbornness on this point makes less & less sense every year.

Absolutely. I thought of getting one, found it didn't do what I wanted, checked out ofther DVRs, decided the technology wasn't mature enough to get locked into a special-purpose device, the Linux options needed more time than I could justify, and eventually caved in and bought a mini for this purpose on the basis that when something better for TV surfaced, I could still use it as a computer. The existing ATV product is pointless if your main use of your TV is broadcast and playing back recordings. Some have found ways of making EyeTV work on it but by the time you've gone through all the hacks and have to worry about it all collapsing in a heap when you next do an update, it's not worth it.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

China: Added another 800 points of distribution. Through the first half of the fiscal year, revenue was almost $1.3 billion. Up over 200 percent year over year.

Guidance factors in legal expenses for pending litigation.

revenue in china went up to $1.3billion in just first half of fisyear? that is incredible. what are that 800 points of distribution?
  • Reply 56 of 60
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

revenue in china went up to $1.3billion in just first half of fisyear? that is incredible. what are that 800 points of distribution?

Definitely a sign they're locked onto a growth market! I guess for 800 distribution points, they'd have to be talking about mobile phone stores right?
  • Reply 57 of 60
    amazing sells espesially I phone sales
  • Reply 58 of 60
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Of course they are not.

(Perhaps I should have had "/sarcasm" instead of Oh, btw, I recommend that you check the history of samab's posts).

Blackberry's ASP went from $317 down to $311 quarter to quarter --- Apple fanbois are saying that this is the end of the world for RIM.

The iPhone's ASP went down much more quarter to quarter.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

Blackberry's ASP went from $317 down to $311 quarter to quarter --- Apple fanbois are saying that this is the end of the world for RIM.

The iPhone's ASP went down much more quarter to quarter.

Which Apple fanbois? Links? Are any of them posting here now about their indifference to a decline in the iPhone ASP?
  • Reply 60 of 60
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member

This review seems obliviously dismissive to criticism of the new Maps app.

In my opinion, the actual maps in the maps app are about as bad as i've seen in at least 10 years. The visual representation of information is incredibly poor. This includes horrendous accuracy, less information, lower information density, and worst of all, bad visual weighting of map details such that the map no longer provides a quick and scannable depiction of physical space.

In terms of the actual map and data represented, it would be almost impossible to build a worse map application.

But yeah, I do appreciate the turn by turn. It just sucks that the map itself is so bad.

EDIT BY TALLEST SKIL: Crap! Dang it. AI posted the story twice, I wanted to delete the one that wasn't linked to the main page, but there was a single reply. Merged it with this thread, and lo and behold, it was posted before the actual story. Don't be surprised if it is automatically replaced with the story…