Apple engineer frantically searched for lost prototype iPhone

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 268
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delreyjones View Post

It's not accurate to call it "top secret" or "marginal corporate secret". These were "trade secrets" that the owner wanted to remain secret. We don't have to call them extra strong or extra weak trade secrets. Just call them what they are: Trade Secrets

What trade secrets were violated? They showed pics of the new iphone and guess what it looks like an iphone. Wow. Better yet it looks like an LG Prada. Did they give the device to HTC, Samsung, Moto, LG, or any other phone maker? No. So no "trade secrets" were found out. The only thing that might happen is that Meizu might make a knock off of it which they would've done anyway.
  • Reply 262 of 268
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galore View Post

So much ado...

The phone was returned to the owner so there go all the theft BS allegations.

What, is it ILLEGAL to photograph a found object and write an article about it?! LOL! Of course this is covered by freedom of the press (and speech).

Photographing an object as found is one thing, and may well have been innocuous on its own. I don't know about disassembling a device they should have known wasn't theirs to disassemble.

Quote:

Oh - it's now got a second camera. BFD. I don't think that anything mind blowing was revealed.

So far, I'm in agreement on that point. I'm not convinced that any significant feature secrets were revealed either. Getting a front-facing camera was something that was going happen sooner or later. I felt they were going to get a higher res screen eventually as well, just a matter of when.

*Maybe* there would have been sales that were postponed because of this, but anyone that even half pays attention should have noticed that Apple has released a new model every summer. I recall that Apple simply quit selling the original generation of iPhones a couple months ahead of the 3G release. The product might not be seen as awesome because Steve didn't do the initial introduction, but then, Apple didn't cut Walt Mossberg off for leaking the Intel transition.
  • Reply 263 of 268
    tzeligtzelig Posts: 1member
    Most reasonable people would have filed a police report stating the phone was lost or stolen. However, if this were a set-up, and which could later be proven, they would not involve the police nor make any false report. It's all PR.
  • Reply 264 of 268
    If they'll do anything for a story, such as pay $5000 for a phone that obviously didn't belong to the seller (i.e., was stolen property), maybe they ought to be happy to go to jail for bad judgement and overzealous journalism. They knew this was no ordinary phone (see $5000 price tag) and in all probability was Apple's property, since they knew it wasn't the property of the finder and wouldn't be their property if they paid $5000 or $50,000. I see a lot of people using what equates to cheap journalism to excuse their inappropriate behavior and inaction to dutifully notify the police or Apple. I'm sure they knew how to contact either party. I won't cut them slack because I don't think they deserve any. They clearly thought they were above the law and their attitude then and now proves it. Book 'em, Danno. I'll be happy to Fed Ex them a tin cup and some magazines if needed.

On the conspiratorial "Apple did it" note that people love since it lets the mind wander aimlessly, Apple has done more to turn people off to the new iPhone if that was their plan (which I seriously doubt) because those buttons jutting out of the side are fugly. That had better be an experimental prototype they were going to dispose of. But then, maybe it was.

In case you missed it, John Gruber @ Daring Fireball wrote a good article about the legal implications of the events.

http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/gi...ototype_iphone
  • Reply 265 of 268
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tzelig View Post

Most reasonable people would have filed a police report stating the phone was lost or stolen. However, if this were a set-up, and which could later be proven, they would not involve the police nor make any false report. It's all PR.

Reasonable? I've literally heard of a couple dozen lost or found phones within my social circle. Never, not even once, has a police report been filed. I've never even heard of anyone who knows someone who witnessed that scenario.

Sure it happens. But you're claiming "most"?
  • Reply 266 of 268
    Well, for his troubles, Mr Gray Powell has been offered a complimentary business class flight to Germany by Lufthansa. Ostensibly to continue his consumption of tasteless German Lager and Germanic culture.

The sun on the meadow is summery warm.

The stag in the forest runs free.

But gathered together to greet the storm...

Tomorrow belongs to him...
  • Reply 267 of 268
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Shit just got real:

Quote:

Silicon Valley police are investigating what appears to be a lost Apple iPhone prototype purchased by a gadget blog, a transaction that may have violated criminal laws, a law enforcement official told CNET on Friday.

Apple has spoken to local police about the incident and the investigation is believed to be headed by a computer crime task force led by the Santa Clara County district attorney's office, the source said. Apple's Cupertino headquarters is in Santa Clara County, about 40 miles south of San Francisco.

The investigation is to see if there's enough evidence to file criminal charges, so depending on how that goes some people may have a bit more 'splainin to do then just internet bad-boy yuk yuk.
  • Reply 268 of 268
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Interesting, that story cites an 1872 law which would make the crime of "theft" the one to be talking about. I stand corrected.

It is hard to believe that a more specific crime hasn't been defined since then. Anyone know of applicable precedences which would dictate if this old law is still prosecuted or if a newer one overshadows it?

Edit: Not saying old laws are bad, just noting that many are still on the books even when newer ones take precedence.