Unexpected delays slow delivery of custom-built MacBook Pros, Apple says

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by M3rc Nate View Post

Its weird how almost all of you in your specs listing of your new MBP have chosen i7 and have chosen 8 gigs of ram, considering my posts on this website EVERYone has said get 4 gigs and buy new 8 gigs for cheaper down the line if you want it, and EVERYone has said how i5 is just as good as i7.

Funky.

I cannot speak for everyone, but I found that Apple's price for the 8BG upgrade was very close to OWC and others, so why not?

As for the i5 to i7 upgrade - $200 difference.

I'll take all the extras I can get as I expect this MPB to last me at least 4 yrs.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

I cannot speak for everyone, but I found that Apple's price for the 8BG upgrade was very close to OWC and others, so why not?

I'll take all the extras I can get as I expect this MPB to last me at least 4 yrs.

I dont disagree at all, its true the other 8 gigs of RAM for a MBP on newegg are $300-$450 so the $360 price point for 8 gigs from apple is good. I guess they were just telling me that you could be happy with 4, and in 2 years if you need 8, DDR3 memory will be cheaper then so it would only be like $150-200. I have had that conflict however in my head with the fact that i plan on getting apple care after 1 year is almost up, so thats 3-4 years of warranty, and i think changing your RAM voids the warranty (not sure).

As for the i5 to i7, i completely agree, i plan on getting i7 anyways. But its interesting all of them said get i5, its the same...yet everyone on this thread thinks like me, which is get i7..its only $180 more and...why not? lol
  • Reply 63 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I dont disagree at all, its true the other 8 gigs of RAM for a MBP on newegg are $300-$450 so the $360 price point for 8 gigs from apple is good. I guess they were just telling me that you could be happy with 4, and in 2 years if you need 8, DDR3 memory will be cheaper then so it would only be like $150-200. I have had that conflict however in my head with the fact that i plan on getting apple care after 1 year is almost up, so thats 3-4 years of warranty, and i think changing your RAM voids the warranty (not sure).

As for the i5 to i7, i completely agree, i plan on getting i7 anyways. But its interesting all of them said get i5, its the same...yet everyone on this thread thinks like me, which is get i7..its only $180 more and...why not? lol

I find that my 4GB is more than enough for my needs. Even if it was only $150 more I wouldn't buy it.

You can change your RAM and HDD without voiding the warranty.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I find that my 4GB is more than enough for my needs. Even if it was only $150 more I wouldn't buy it.

You can change your RAM and HDD without voiding the warranty.

Yeah i figure 4 is enough, but they say 8 is really for photo/video/music editing considering those are so taxing on your RAM, and though im not into those things, i plan on dipping a toe into the waters of editing, eventually maybe diving in.

Ok good to know thank you, im glad it doesnt.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:

This⬆⬆⬆

I am typing this on a 12" Powerbook 867MHz G4 running Leopard. It's seven years old and is used every day for hours. I built my new MBP to have everything as fast and big as I could since I will keep it for at least four years. Who knows, maybe even seven.

And remember that if Apple installs the RAM they warranty it. If you use third party RAM and have a problem, that is the first thing they ask you. They ask you to remove it before they will attempt repairs.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    I only ordered the base 13" MBP model on the 22nd April and the delivery estimate is the 11/12th May. WHY?! It's not like it has the in-demand i5/i7 processors or a hi-res screen. Not happy.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

This⬆⬆⬆

I am typing this on a 12" Powerbook 867MHz G4 running Leopard. It's seven years old and is used every day for hours. I built my new MBP to have everything as fast and big as I could since I will keep it for at least four years. Who knows, maybe even seven.

And remember that if Apple installs the RAM they warranty it. If you use third party RAM and have a problem, that is the first thing they ask you. They ask you to remove it before they will attempt repairs.

Both are good points. Thanks.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I don't understand why none of the three 15" MBP models include high res and/or anti glare screens as a standard feature. I would think 15" MBP with better screen would be more popular than offering $2200 i7-based 15" MBP.

I find the lack of HD screens to be surprising. Why isn't 1080p available?
  • Reply 69 of 83
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Finally got a call back from TNT that said my MBP had left Pudong Aiport on April 24 (after getting stuck there on the 19th), today it has reportedly arrived in Brussels, so it should only be a matter of days to get to Switzerland now. The dude on the phone said that they had a huge backlog of shipments in Shanghai because of the volcano. Must have been huge indeed, if it took a whole week to get rid of it.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    double post
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Yeeeeee MoFo Haaaaaah!

I now have my MBP 17 i7 2.66GHz screamer in my hot little hands.

Having to wait for it for over a week

Having it arrive the same day Gizmodo gets busted?

PRICELESS!
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:

Yeeeeee MoFo Haaaaaah!

I now have my MBP 17 i7 2.66GHz screamer in my hot little hands.

Having to wait for it for over a week

Having it arrive the same day Gizmodo gets busted?

PRICELESS!

Would love to hear (after you use it a bit) your thoughts on how hot it gets. Reports out now about it hitting 100C

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/c...sius-your-lap/
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:

Would love to hear (after you use it a bit) your thoughts on how hot it gets. Reports out now about it hitting 100C

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/c...sius-your-lap/

I will be happy to report my experiences. However, I never have used ANY MPB once they started using C2D without having a Zalman ZN-NC2000 twin-fan cooler platform underneath it.

They are quiet, portable and seem to do the job.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    zelf24zelf24 Posts: 3member
    Order Date: Apr 17, 2010 at 01:49 PM PDT

Not yet shipped

MBP 15.4/2.66/CTO Z0J6

\t \t

Custom configuration

2.66GHz Intel Core i7

4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x2GB

500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200

SuperDrive 8X DL

MBP 15" HR Glossy WS Display

No iWork preinstalled

No Final Cut Express preinstalled

No Aperture Preinstalled

No Logic Express Preinstalled

No FileMaker Preinstalled

No MSO preinstalled

No DVI Adapter

No VGA Adapter

Keyboard/Users Guide

Country Kit

\t

\t\t\t

Ships: 5 - 7 business days \t\t\t\t\t\t

Delivers: Apr 27 - May 3

_____

I'm anxiously awaiting this MacBook Pro. It's going to be replacing my old workhorse: a 2004 15" Powerbook G4 1.33GHZ!

I can't believe that I ordered it on April 17th, and it still hasn't shipped yet :-(

And off-topic but I just realized: My join date was May of 2006, yet this was my first post! LOL! Can you say long-time lurker?
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Ordered April 13, arrived today. I'll be nice and put the blame on Eyjafjallajökull and not TNT for taking 10 days to ship it to Switzerland...
  • Reply 76 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zelf24 View Post

And off-topic but I just realized: My join date was May of 2006, yet this was my first post! LOL! Can you say long-time lurker?

It's OK, since we have been actively watching you.
  • Reply 77 of 83
    zelf24zelf24 Posts: 3member
    Quote:

It's OK, since we have been actively watching you.

Well, I would say "first post!"; but with me joining four years ago, it would just seem weird at this point... lol!
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:

Order Date: Apr 17, 2010 at 01:49 PM PDT

Not yet shipped

MBP 15.4/2.66/CTO Z0J6

\t \t

Custom configuration

2.66GHz Intel Core i7

4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x2GB

500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200

SuperDrive 8X DL

MBP 15" HR Glossy WS Display

No iWork preinstalled

No Final Cut Express preinstalled

No Aperture Preinstalled

No Logic Express Preinstalled

No FileMaker Preinstalled

No MSO preinstalled

No DVI Adapter

No VGA Adapter

Keyboard/Users Guide

Country Kit

\t

\t\t\t

Ships: 5 - 7 business days \t\t\t\t\t\t

Delivers: Apr 27 - May 3

_____

I'm anxiously awaiting this MacBook Pro. It's going to be replacing my old workhorse: a 2004 15" Powerbook G4 1.33GHZ!

I can't believe that I ordered it on April 17th, and it still hasn't shipped yet :-(

Hey Zelf, I also have the same configuration. I ordered it on 19 and it hasn't been shipped also. Guess our MBP will be shipped together on the same cargo. Any update on shipment. Please tell me !!! Can't wait putting my hand on this beauty \
  • Reply 79 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangogo

Hey Zelf, I also have the same configuration. I ordered it on 19 and it hasn't been shipped also. Guess our MBP will be shipped together on the same cargo. Any update on shipment. Please tell me !!! Can't wait putting my hand on this beauty \

Mangogo, you'll be happy to know that I checked my Order Status at 8PM EST tonight, and it now says "Prepared for Shipment"!!!! I am willing to guess that yours is either on the same cargo, or very very close behind!

I can't wait! FINALLY! After ALL these years, I will finally be able to make the leap from PowerPC to Intel! I can't wait to play games- oh how I can't wait to play PC games,

Guess I should get started with Half-Life, and work my way up to Crysis? hahaha
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:

Mangogo, you'll be happy to know that I checked my Order Status at 8PM EST tonight, and it now says "Prepared for Shipment"!!!! I am willing to guess that yours is either on the same cargo, or very very close behind!

I can't wait! FINALLY! After ALL these years, I will finally be able to make the leap from PowerPC to Intel! I can't wait to play games- oh how I can't wait to play PC games,

Guess I should get started with Half-Life, and work my way up to Crysis? hahaha

---- Post twice please remove this one ---