Police investigating Gizmodo's iPhone prototype story

Comments

• Reply 201 of 402
    dr.nodr.no Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

This thread is everything that's wrong with AI.

(shhhh - you'll give it away)

• Reply 202 of 402
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post

A person who won't put "Gawker in jail" because he's not in NY holding a phone - getting it?

Who is talking about NY? I am talking about who is holding the iPhone in CA?

This is your third and last chance or you loose the jackpot.

tick tock tick tock
  • Reply 203 of 402
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talus View Post

Does this help?

How Checkbook Journalism Gave Gizmodo Its iPhone Scoop
    "Asked whether he's concerned his company may have committed a crime in buying the phone, Denton says that Gaby Darbyshire, Gawker Media's chief operating officer, researched the relevant case law and came away satisfied that Gizmodo was in the clear. Moreover, Denton says Gizmodo, having reaped its page view harvest, is working to learn the identity of the person who lost possession of the phone and will return it to that person, or to anyone who establishes a legal claim to it."
    There is Nick Denton admitting that his company bought the phone. It's too bad he asked a former British barrister for a legal opinion on California laws.

Perhaps - but returning it kind of invalidates "stolen" right? Every link mentions returning. They did. So far, I haven't gotten anything returned to me that was stolen from me to date. You think that might be hard to prosecute?

"He stole it after finding it lost in a bar. Then notified us - then didn't move it anywhere - then gave it back to us when we requested it to confirm who we were and what we were talking about - and returned it. - but ya - he stole it."

I think there's a disconnect in there.
  • Reply 204 of 402
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStud View Post

Who is talking about NY? I am talking about who is holding the iPhone in CA?

This is your third and last chance or you loose the jackpot.

tick tock tick tock

now whose copy and pasting - bzzt - no response for you!

• Reply 205 of 402
    Quote:

Perhaps - but returning it kind of invalidates "stolen" right? Every link mentions returning. They did. So far, I haven't gotten anything returned to me that was stolen from me to date. You think that might be hard to prosecute?

"He stole it! Then notified us - then didn't move it anywhere - then gave it back to us when we requested it to confirm who we were and what we were talking about - and returned it. - but ya - he stole it."

Ah, but now you agree that they actually were involved! Whereas up until now you denied they were at all involved!
  • Reply 206 of 402
    talustalus Posts: 10member
    And predicting your answer, I have a question:

Is it your contention that a business owner in NY (whose business is also based in NY) can authorize and fund an illegal activity in another state and be immune from prosecution?
  • Reply 207 of 402
    Quote:

Is it your contention that a business owner in NY (whose business is also based in NY) can authorize and fund an illegal activity in another state and be immune from prosecution?

Well that is exactly what the bottom line of his "argument" is.

I think at this point is pretty clear that he is completely baseless.
  • Reply 208 of 402
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:

Does this help?

How Checkbook Journalism Gave Gizmodo Its iPhone Scoop
    "Asked whether he's concerned his company may have committed a crime in buying the phone, Denton says that Gaby Darbyshire, Gawker Media's chief operating officer, researched the relevant case law and came away satisfied that Gizmodo was in the clear. Moreover, Denton says Gizmodo, having reaped its page view harvest, is working to learn the identity of the person who lost possession of the phone and will return it to that person, or to anyone who establishes a legal claim to it."

page view harvest indeed

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry...e-scoop-2010-4
  • Reply 209 of 402
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    the guy who stole the prototype has absolutely no legal defense. he took money for something he in no possible way owned (he "appropriated" it). his legal bills are going to be a lot more than the 5K he got too. what a fool. serves him right.

industrial espionage is a very serious matter in Silicon Valley. the law there is not going to laugh this off. no company there or elsewhere wants its prototypes sold on the black market to rivals or the tabloid media. and no pro media would buy them either, both as a matter of law and of ethics. even the National Inquirer would know better (thanks to experience). they would buy photos and pay the guy for his story, yes, and maybe even have some engineer look at it to figure out its specs that they could then blab. but they would never be so stupid as to actually pay cash for and take possession of the merch itself.

Gizmodo/Gawker is about to learn a very hard lesson. what stupid fools. serves them right too.
  • Reply 210 of 402
    Quote:

"He stole it after finding it lost in a bar. Then notified us - then didn't move it anywhere - then gave it back to us when we requested it to confirm who we were and what we were talking about - and returned it. - but ya - he stole it."

You're ignoring the laws in question again. It doesn't matter if you give it back. Buying something you know/suspect is stolen is illegal. That's the act in question for Gizmodo. Can I buy your lost, then stolen car for a couple days, knowing it didn't belong to the guy I bought it from, then take it apart and put it back together hoping it still works (fingers crossed!), and then finally once it's all public, give it back? Cool? Thanks. Leave your keys on the seat. My source will be by in an hour or so.
  • Reply 211 of 402
    Quote:

You have proof he directly participated as opposed to - sent money for the rights to photos and published the photos? They were published here too - should AI be arrested?

Dude - that's a scoop! Run that baby!

• Reply 212 of 402
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Oh I see you turn to humor now that you know how wrong your initial comment was. Based on your logic I can steal stuff from our neighbor state and never worry since I don't live in that state. I am sure you will make an excellent defense lawyer

Thank you. I was reading this whole thread and beginning to wonder if anyone was going to say that.
  • Reply 213 of 402
    Quote:

You have proof he directly participated as opposed to - sent money for the rights to photos and published the photos? They were published here too - should AI be arrested?

The bottom line is that there is plenty of evidence that he directly participated into it, whether you decide to ignore it or not, it is irrelevant.

You lost the jackpot, could not answer my final question. You were almost there, perhaps next time as Tekstud or any other of your aliases
  • Reply 214 of 402
    grouty2grouty2 Posts: 42member
    I know it is tempting to respond when we see errant nonsense such as Dr.No is spouting. However, if we all take a chill pill and realise that trolls like him get their kicks from how much response they can elicit we can act accordingly. The only way to make characters like this leave the adults alone is to ignore them. Can we suck it up for a bit and stop responding? Please?

I agree too with a previous poster who suggested some filtering of posts containing quotes from those on our "ignore" lists as well as their actual posts. I don't know if this can be done but it would be a huge improvement.
  • Reply 215 of 402
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    We have a Legal battle on our hands here:

Endgadget Legal Counsel says it's a no go!

Gizmodo's unofficial Legal Counsel Dr.No says it's a no show!

In matters of Information counterfeiting, after all, they both should know...
  • Reply 216 of 402
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Whole thread: VOID
  • Reply 217 of 402
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

page view harvest indeed

http://www.businessinsider.com/henry...e-scoop-2010-4

Did you even read that link or the one I quoted above? They both quote Denton admitting that he/Gawker/Gizmodo bought the phone and may have to pay legal fees to defend himself. That's not even in question here.

But of course you didn't read them. You are entertaining yourself by, how did you say it, "pushing people's buttons". Make sure not to give it away again your ban will be forthcoming.
  • Reply 218 of 402
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grouty2 View Post

I know it is tempting to respond when we see errant nonsense such as Dr.No is spouting. However, if we all take a chill pill and realise that trolls like him get their kicks from how much response they can elicit we can act accordingly. The only way to make characters like this leave the adults alone is to ignore them. Can we suck it up for a bit and stop responding? Please?

I agree too with a previous poster who suggested some filtering of posts containing quotes from those on our "ignore" lists as well as their actual posts. I don't know if this can be done but it would be a huge improvement.

You are correct. I will stop feeding him.
  • Reply 219 of 402
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grouty2 View Post

Another sure way to invalidate an argument - call someone a troll and walk away.

Hey whatever echo works best in the echo chamber - knock yourself out.

• Reply 220 of 402
    Quote:

Another sure way to invalidate an argument - call someone a troll and walk away.

Hey whatever echo works best in the echo chamber - knock yourself out.

Sorry NoNo boy. No more food for you today. You've been a bad troll, bad troll!

Until we cross paths again!