RIM unveils BlackBerry OS 6 with iPhone-like multitouch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple 1984 View Post

"All-new" to the Blackberry user.

So ... I bet quite a few will think, 'well if BBs are kind of like iPhones now I may as well get a real one'.

Playing the let's copy Apple game isn't too smart plus they are never going to catch Apple's R&D any more than M$ did with the computer GUI.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    A multi touch interface, how innovative.

Funny, at work there have been a few iPhone vs Blackberry "wars" and the argument against the iPhone was always "I gotta have a real keyboard."

Now everyone just copies Apple. Too bad Fergie couldn't be in the commercial.
  • Reply 23 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Playing the let's copy Apple game isn't too smart plus they are never going to catch Apple's R&D any more than M$ did with the computer GUI.

But this is surely the "iPhone Killer."
  • Reply 24 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

It's surprising that they titled this "All New User Experience", then had three different people dancing to a song that had to be "bleeped" several times.....but barely showed the actual user experience. Yeah a few things swiped and a couple of virtual keyboard taps, but in the grand scheme of things, what was all new about it?

One of the things I love most about the iPhone commercials is that they aren't flashy or blown out of proportion, just a person doing things on the iPhone that I might do in my day to day. The experience you see in the commercials matches what I experience on my own iPhone in real life.

These companies throw together a bunch of hype videos with a bunch of bling to distract from the fact that the interface is still no where near as slick as the iPhone. Steve Jobs was right when he first introduced the 1st gen iPhone & said trying to use the existing smart-phones on the market was a frustrating experience. Today I think it is still mostly a frustrating experience, these companies just don't get it.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    The ad is now posted at this "sure to be successful" site:

www.iphonekiller.com
  • Reply 26 of 76
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Just curious as to how long the iPhone has had multi-touch?

Apple applied for one of its most significant multi-touch patents in 2004. The patent was awarded 2 months ago.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Look closely. The cover-flow like interface lives up to its name: cover-notflow.
  • Reply 28 of 76
    Nobody can do better mutitouch as apple . IPhone supports 5 touches and iPad 11 touches . All mutitouch on apple products are used in apps and smooth. Blackberry only has zoom in and out .. Baby mutitouch !!!
  • Reply 29 of 76
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    So does this mean all new Blackberry OS 6 users are going to turn into those type of people I always see at the gym that are motioning their workout to the music they are listening, and look like fools while they're doing it. Cause what really oozes cool is dancing along, and playing invisible drums to music no one can hear ...
  • Reply 30 of 76
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    "Try typing a web key on a touch screen on an iPhone, that's a real challenge. You cannot see what you type. The iPhone has severe limitations when it comes to effortless typing. Of course you have more screen space, with more artistic interactions, but that's not enough. We've seen this before when Palm tried virtual keyboards. When they launched the Treo they licensed our keyboard." -RIM CEO Mike Lazaridis, Nov 2007

I guess things change. You have to give them credit for not giving up, but I wonder how much they have learned from their attempt with the Storm.
  • Reply 31 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I kept trying to get a look at the girl but these annoying overlay images kept getting in the way
  • Reply 32 of 76
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djbeta View Post

Too funny, one of the lines in the song is "I'm so 2008!"

LOL LOL LOL oh man..

Haha, I picked up on that strait away too!
  • Reply 33 of 76
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I kept trying to get a look at the girl but these annoying overlay images kept getting in the way

The only thing I still remember from the advert.. that and the whole "boom boom I'm so 2008" line.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I guess things change. You have to give them credit for not giving up, but I wonder how much they have learned from their attempt with the Storm.

Someone at RIM finally woke up and saw the future. I fear they are entering the real game a little too late though.
  • Reply 35 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

The only thing I still remember from the advert.. that and the whole "boom boom I'm so 2008" line.

Sounds like RiM is projecting a bit with that song choice. They really are so "2007" with the capacitance multi-touch.

Seriously though, I'd like to see what they have without all the misdirection that ad presents. I hope they have something great because it looks like about to beat them on the last thing metric they had over the iPhone, the unit sales per quarter.
  • Reply 36 of 76
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Too bad Fergie couldn't be in the commercial.

I guess you missed her in all bells and whistles.

Images of TBEP appeared throughout, but Fergie got the most, including several seconds of prominent video time.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    It looks like they took the iPhone UI and simply changed the font.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    I have a Storm 2. It's a vast improvement over the Storm - there's enough RAM and processor to finally deal with the dog that is OS 5 (4.7 was much, much worse).

The experience is the anti-thesis of Apple. There's an official store where you can sell your apps, there's a variety of open stores where other vendors can sell their apps direct, and you can even download stuff directly off the web through Over The Air links.

I've been a BlackBerry user for years and there are only two reasons why I still am using one. 1. BlackBerry redirector keeps me in touch with my exchange server even though IT won't let me throw the phone on our BES, and 2. BBM - hands down the best mobile IM client out there.

My faith, however, is waning. Even with 6 coming, it'll be third quarter 2010. After seeing Gizmodo's thiefed photo-op I think the combination of iPhone 2010 and OS 4 is going to be too great to pass up.

I've had the freedom of open apps and... it's crap. The quality of my experience on the BlackBerry outside of the core communication features is garbage. Waiting to launch 6 until after OS 4 is too little, too late - and it pains me to say that. Give me my walled garden! I'm comin' home Stevie!
  • Reply 39 of 76
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,962member
    At first RIM and its fanboys dissed the iPhone, now they copy it. The truth will out.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    At least a dancer/model got a days work out of that, good for her it was chin down not much to boast about there.

Now for the "Iphone-iness" of it all. Three full years after the fact, what are they saying we are catching up as tech leaders? Apple has defined the GUI for smart phones the way it did for the desktop. Don't see the point of this "me too" product.