Apple releases iTunes 9.1.1, fixing VoiceOver, Genius Mixes issues

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Still does not address the syncing issues with Outlook/MobileMe (i.e. all day appointments a day out, other appointments shifted by one or more hours) that 9.1's release introduced.

The slap in the face for people who really make use of their Outlook calendars on their iPhones continues?
  • Reply 22 of 30
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Wow, now only 4 times bigger than songbird and supports about half of the file formats! That's what I call progress. I'm not saying songbird is especially high quality, but iTunes is definitely stagnating due to Apple's absolute lack of competitors in this category.

I'd love it if Apple would blow up iTunes, and come up with something about half as big that supports FLAC (if my TV can read and play FLAC from a USB stick, then iTunes should be able to as well, sorry) and can deal with a library over 100GB without constant interface lagging. It feels like they just keep adding junk onto it like some sort of music frankenstein, while the underlying problems just keeping getting more crap piled on top of them which they in turn cause problems with.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I long for the day when Apple will finally realise iTunes on Windows is a bloated, unreliable, incredibly poorly written piece of junk and re-write it from the ground up.

iTunes is the only PC application I've ever seen that can totally lock up even the most powerful PCs for many minutes at a time when syncing a USB device. How is that even possible? Apple must have tried incredibly hard to write something this awful.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    Since I updated, iTunes doesn't work. Or rather, it boots up, and then gets stuck 9/10ths of the way through "Updating iTunes Library".

Anyone else have this, or a suggestion about how to fix it? I'm not impressed.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

... iTunes is the only PC application I've ever seen that can totally lock up even the most powerful PCs for many minutes at a time when syncing a USB device. How is that even possible?

Maybe you have a USB driver issue. I know people who don't have "the most powerful PCs" and don't have this problem.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

Since I updated, iTunes doesn't work. Or rather, it boots up, and then gets stuck 9/10ths of the way through "Updating iTunes Library".

http://www.google.com/search?aq=1&oq...+library+hangs

Some of the above links may help you.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Wow, now only 4 times bigger than songbird and supports about half of the file formats! That's what I call progress. I'm not saying songbird is especially high quality, but iTunes is definitely stagnating due to Apple's absolute lack of competitors in this category.

I'd love it if Apple would blow up iTunes, and come up with something about half as big that supports FLAC (if my TV can read and play FLAC from a USB stick, then iTunes should be able to as well, sorry) and can deal with a library over 100GB without constant interface lagging. It feels like they just keep adding junk onto it like some sort of music frankenstein, while the underlying problems just keeping getting more crap piled on top of them which they in turn cause problems with.

Why would apple throw in a lot support for codecs that the iPod/iPhone doesn't support? iTunes is primarily written for Apple products. Why complicate it with formats that their devices don't play? As to Songbird vs. iTunes, if you don't like iTunes, use Songbird. Not a difficult decision.

Perhaps when songbird gets the full feature set of iTunes (can it even rip music yet?), it will increase in size.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    tquilatquila Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

Well, this update did not fix the extremely slow sync with the iPad. It still takes a LOT longer than to sync with the iPhone.

This AM I stopped my sync at 43 minutes. Before it never took more than 5 minutes. And this is on an intel iMac using 10.6.3, itunes 9.1.1 and iphone 3.1.3. This is unacceptable.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    iTunes 9.1.1 - this must have been an emergency update in the US!
  • Reply 30 of 30
    hschenckhschenck Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

Yes, I have the same problem. After updating to 9.1.1 I get the "Updating iTunes Library" and before it completes iTunes crashes.