Authorities waiting to analyze data seized in iPhone prototype case

Comments

• Reply 21 of 183
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    None of us know how this will ultimately play out. But I don't think it's wise for any group to be told that it's above the law. Once that happens, then unethical people will try and don the mask of that group and believe they can do anything they want, indulge in any malice that comes to mind, with the smug knowledge that no one can stop them.
  • Reply 22 of 183
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

No, because Chen might have found out or anticipated the seizure and destroyed evidence.

I suppose that makes sense, I suppose a ruling from the AG might not be available as quickly as it would need to get everything first.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Forensic evidense? History of websites visited perhaps?

It might have a DNS look-up table, other than that, I don't know what it could store. Consumer routers generally aren't that smart.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

None of us know how this will ultimately play out. But I don't think it's wise for any group to be told that it's above the law. Once that happens, then unethical people will try and don the mask of that group and believe they can do anything they want, indulge in any malice that comes to mind, with the smug knowledge that no one can stop them.

For the most part, I don't think shield laws are that lax.
  • Reply 23 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Shouldn't they have worked out this journalist issue before doing the seizure? Seems fishy to seize equipment to risk finding they cannot do anything with it but return it. A bungled investigation would feed right into Gawker's M.O.

But anyways, I'm currently thinking that the Gizmodo story about the provenance of the device is probably a cover.

Hmmmm, I'm thinking that denying Chen the ability to wipe up after himself isn't such a bad idea before weighing the journalist issue. If anyone at Gizmodo had gotten wind of the investigation before the property was seized, how would the Police even know what property was present at Chen's house before the investigation started.
  • Reply 24 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

"We are waiting to see if it's protected and if it's not we're gonna wait some more."

WTF?

If it's not protected, what would Gizmodo use as a basis for their injunction?

With lawyers, everything is debatable until a judge rules, finally.
  • Reply 25 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

They also took his electric toothbrush, his CD collection, some jewelry, his dog, a rug, art, and his girlfriend...

And taking the girlfriend was a GOOD THING since he came home from dinner with his WIFE!
  • Reply 26 of 183
    Quote:

Shouldn't they have worked out this journalist issue before doing the seizure? Seems fishy to seize equipment to risk finding they cannot do anything with it but return it. A bungled investigation would feed right into Gawker's M.O.

But anyways, I'm currently thinking that the Gizmodo story about the provenance of the device is probably a cover.

Good points. Moreover, it seems somewhat silly, and a tad unfair -- if ultimately shown that Chen is a 'journalist' -- that the wares that make his livelihood (not just what he types on, but his files, past data, references, sources, notes of work-in-progress, etc) are being sequestered until this is all legally sorted out.

I think the police pulled the trigger first and decided to ask questions later. Not a good move.

I predict that the courts will throw this out.
  • Reply 27 of 183
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

It might have a DNS look-up table, other than that, I don't know what it could store. Consumer routers generally aren't that smart.

I wouldn't claim to know what is stored in the router and god help me if the wife figured out how to look that up.

They probably take anything remotely related to what would have been used to or may have evidence of the crime that was within the scope of the warrant. Instead of kill em all and let god sort it out, in this case, it's more along the lines of seize it all and let the techs sort it out.
  • Reply 28 of 183
    Quote:

After seeing pictures of him I suspect it was more that the time he paid for was cut short when she saw cops in his house.

Just kidding.

No, you're not. People that say that are rarely kidding.
  • Reply 29 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why would they take an AirPort Extreme?

Probably the cops didn't know what it was or thought it was a time capsule.
  • Reply 30 of 183
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I honestly do not believe that he bought or paid for a girlfriend. As it has already been noted that he came home with his wife.
  • Reply 31 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post

Doubtful. I think Josh Topolsky of Engadget refused to purchase the phone after the seller initially approached Engadget. Smart move by Josh.

He's probably had to identify the seller of the phone to authorities. Poor guy will probably end up in court to testify when the case goes to trial. At least he was wise enough to not buy the phone though.
  • Reply 32 of 183
    Quote:

Quote:

I honestly do not believe that he bought or paid for a girlfriend. As it has already been noted that he came home with his wife.

Rarely != Never

(clinically proven by the two statements above)
  • Reply 33 of 183
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    regardless of what the investigation and the law say, jason chen is no journalist.
  • Reply 34 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

regardless of what the investigation and the law say, jason chen is no journalist.

Well I'm glad that you are here to give us the final word on what does and does not constitute journalism.
  • Reply 35 of 183
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,008member
    Quote:

I think the police pulled the trigger first and decided to ask questions later. Not a good move.

I predict that the courts will throw this out.

I think we are looking at this with a narrow view. The police probably have proceedures that they follow. I suspect that it is only logical that if there is potential evidence in a suspect's custody, it must be seized as soon as possible. If their are legal questions*, they can be sorted out after the evidence is secure. To look at this one case and say "well, they should have waited because he (Chen) can be trusted not to destroy or hide evidence" is just naïve.

If there are tricky legal issues to settle, waiting weeks, months or even years for lawyers to hash it out would be stupid

*by "legal questions" I don't mean questions about the seizing itself, but questions about the admissability of the evidence gained from the seizure
  • Reply 36 of 183
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Well I'm glad that you are here to give us the final word on what does and does not constitute journalism.

you are welcome.
  • Reply 37 of 183
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Hey I have several blogs, does that make me a journalist too?
  • Reply 38 of 183
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Why would they take an AirPort Extreme?

... it was connected to the big, silver, shiny cheese-grater is my guess
  • Reply 39 of 183
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Jason "Pongo" Chen can always fall back to his previous gig.

His new gig will be Bubba's new b**ch down at the Fed Pen...
  • Reply 40 of 183
    I still think that if they had not taken the phone apart and published pictures of the phones internals and not required the letter from Apple and simply returned it when asked then this may have been avoided. I do not have any legal training or experience in law but logically it seems to me that those pictures of the inside of the phone was the precise moment the shot themselves in the foot. And smugly posting on the web every little detail certainly provided direction for the police to investigate. \

I realize that this has been and will continue to talked about endlessly but wanted to share my own worthless legal opinion.