LG Innotek may supply 5MP camera for Apple's fourth-gen iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Not me, same surname, different person.

My bad. Apologies for the mistaken identity.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjnjn View Post

I'm from Europe, never seen a phone with front facing camera.

Then open your eyes... If you really are "from Europe"...

Almost ALL consumer 3G phones for the non-US GSM markets have had front cameras and native videocalling capability for the last SEVEN years.

As has been mentioned, all it takes to make a video call is to dial someone's number and press video call. It does not go over an IP connection, and no iChat-alike appliations needed, it's native and built in. Almost all European networks have supported this for the best part of ten years. Try finding a consumer 3G handset without a front camera in those regions.

I'm in the UK and have been getting 100 free videocall minutes a month with my contract for the last five years. Apart from pissing around for the novelty factor, I've never used them, and nor has anyone else I know.

This is one tech flop that nobody ever cared about and would've been best staying in the movies along with cyber VR and furiously bleeping magic image enhancing mainframes with huge green fonts.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The SonyEricsson Satio has been out for quite some time now.

Usual poor performing Symbian OS.

What's with the screen limitation to 640 x360 (x480 in the N810 tablet) pixel maximum?

Winmo, Android, iPhone OS (iPad) and others easily surpass this limitation.

Symbian finally seems to be getting transparency, one of those small things taken for granted in the first iPhone had almost three years ago.

The three homescreens came from Android 1.6 and Samsung's feature phone OS.

It's still not enough Nokia is doomed to selling cheap, feature stripped smartphone's to the lowest common denominator.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Never say never.

For unretouched photos from the development version of a phone that has a sensor roughly 30% bigger (1/1.83" vs. 1/2.5") than most point-and-shoots with 12 Mpix and Carl-Zeiss optics,720p video capture and HDMI out:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...-n8-untouched/

SE is rumoured to do the same soon. The Koreans will copy quickly (Samsung already has 12Mpix but with a smaller sensor).

But those are only features that nobody wants

Regs, Jarkko

• Reply 24 of 39
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

My bad. Apologies for the mistaken identity.

Regs, Jarkko

No problem at all.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You must have missing the part about the N8 have the largest sensor size in a mobile phone?

Quote:

What's with the screen limitation to 640 x360 (x480 in the N810 tablet) pixel maximum?

Winmo, Android, iPhone OS (iPad) and others easily surpass this limitation.

Wait, you are comparing the screen resolution of the N8 to the iPad? Ok, while we are at it, what is up with the screen limitation of the iPhone 320x480.

Quote:

Symbian finally seems to be getting transparency, one of those small things taken for granted in the first iPhone had almost three years ago.

It is a pretty brave, or a fairly stupid, man that compares the current feature set of Symbian to the original iPhone.

Quote:

The three homescreens came from Android 1.6 and Samsung's feature phone OS.

And your point?

Quote:

It's still not enough Nokia is doomed to selling cheap, feature stripped smartphone's to the lowest common denominator.

So when you walk past a Toyota dealer, so you laugh at them for selling the Yaris, or Corolla? Or when you are cleaning the shelves in K-Mart do you have a little cry about the stuff they sell?
  • Reply 26 of 39
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Nokia 6700, E65, 2730, just a few 3G phones without this most underwhelming of features, Networks don't even bother including video calls in the features any more after several failed attempts at building up some hype.

My first attempt ended up with a very poor quality, low frame rate view of my fathers ear, he's a bit of a luddite and didn't quite get it.

Haven't really used it since.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ectoplasmosis View Post

Almost ALL consumer 3G phones for the non-US GSM markets have had front cameras and native videocalling capability for the last SEVEN years.

As has been mentioned, all it takes to make a video call is to dial someone's number and press video call. It does not go over an IP connection, and no iChat-alike appliations needed, it's native and built in. Almost all European networks have supported this for the best part of ten years. Try finding a consumer 3G handset without a front camera in those regions.

I'm in the UK and have been getting 100 free videocall minutes a month with my contract for the last five years. Apart from pissing around for the novelty factor, I've never used them, and nor has anyone else I know.

This is one tech flop that nobody ever cared about and would've been best staying in the movies along with cyber VR and furiously bleeping magic image enhancing mainframes with huge green fonts.

• Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

(... remaining irrelevant rant deleted)

Please actually read what was written. Like I said before, I used the N8 as an example of a phone with a sensor size larger than on an average P&S to counter a specific argument. It's useless to get into a feature war in general, there are no winners.

Feature wars are especially useless when very few people know all features of all devices. Someone will always come back and bite you proving you're wrong just like you proved that not all 3G phones have front facing cameras. Still a very large number do especially if it's a higher spec phone.

If you want to talk about multiple homescreens, tell me when did the first Maemo and/or Symbian with different homescreens come to market? Well before Android. I've had one in my pocket for two years and I don't know when the first ones were shipped. The N900 has several screens. Does Ã*Phone. It's still a pointless fact in view of built-in cameras on phones (the topic at hand).

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 28 of 39
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ectoplasmosis View Post

What? Are you telling me that my NOKIA 6300 right next to me has a front facing camera even though it doesn't?
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

What? Are you telling me that my NOKIA 6300 right next to me has a front facing camera even though it doesn't?

Naturally it doesn't as it's a 2G only phone... Videocalls are a 3G feature as mentioned before. But there are low-cost 3G phones without as well.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does that mean you are aware of the quality of these camera modules?

No I am not. I was just commenting on the tentative nature of the headline (which now has been changed, apparently).

Why, does that mean you are? If so, please tell us?
  • Reply 31 of 39
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    imo phone should go for super high MP to compensate for the lack of a zoom. Its pretty amazing how you can zoom in 12MP pics and still have plenty of details.

a 12MP digital zoom will be the same has a 5MP camera with a 3x optical zoom.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No I am not. I was just commenting on the tentative nature of the headline (which now has been changed, apparently).

Why, does that mean you are? If so, please tell us?

Not at all. I was sincerely hoping you had some insights you could share.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

imo phone should go for super high MP to compensate for the lack of a zoom. Its pretty amazing how you can zoom in 12MP pics and still have plenty of details.

How about a good sensor and qality pics at a given resolution instead of just a excessively high image sizes that are shitty.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Yes, but are iPod touch users going to get an equally effective camera? There are a lot of us who don't want or can't justify AT&T's pricey plan who'd like a productivity device with a decent camera. If nothing else, create a high-end iPod touch with both a camera and GPS.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Apple finally looks like catching up with my Samsung Jet S8000, which was released last July.

Now I just wish Samsung would catch up with Apples OS
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Yes, as it's a 2G phone.

Of course 3G handsets without videocalling capability exist, however they are few and far between and are mostly corporate environment-oriented or budget models restricted to pre-paid bundles. I also used to own an oddity called the Nokia 6630 that, aside from being styled after a pregnant Anne Widdecombe, supported videocalling but had no front camera.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

Yes, but are iPod touch users going to get an equally effective camera? There are a lot of us who don't want or can't justify AT&T's pricey plan who'd like a productivity device with a decent camera. If nothing else, create a high-end iPod touch with both a camera and GPS.

What's to stop you buying a SIM-free/pre-paid iPhone? Don't know about the US but in the UK one can buy any model of iPhone on several different carriers outright without a contract for a reasonably justifiable price, and get a year's free "unlimited" data to boot.

• Reply 36 of 39
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Not at all. You obviously don't understand how digital cameras work.

Each pixel in a 12 MP array is smaller than the pixels in a 5 MP array - if everything else is equal. That degrades the low light capability and increases the noise (exponentially, IIRC).

Given the quality of the lenses in most cell phones, anything above about 3-5 MP is going to reduce the quality of the image, not improve it.

Read the reviews when each version of the iPHone came out. They universally said something like "while the resolution of this iPhone is lower than the competition, the pictures taken by the iPhone are at least as good as anything out there - and better than most).

You're doing exactly what everyone attacking Apple is doing. They pick their one pet specification and assume that if Apple simply increases that one item, the product will be better. Unfortunately, in the real world where there are tradeoffs, that's not the case.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Honestly, I'm more interested in quality than megapixels.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The problem of course is that these high MP cell phone cameras often leave a lot to be desired. Frankly though I have little use for the camera on my iPhone.

Speaking of which Apple could go a long way to improving the iPhones camera by adding an advanced mode. Give us control over exposure and other parameters so we can compose decent shots.

In any event here is hoping for a real improvement inquality which ought to be possible given the rapid pace of innovation. The other thing I'm wondering about is does the vendor change reflect a falling out with the current vendor over the bungled Touch launch? I'm left with the impression that the last minute Touch changes really pissed off management at Apple.

Dave

I use my 3G camera a lot. I've gotten a lot of use out of it. What I find is that in good light and without motion, the pictures look good. Add motion (even move the camera too soon after shooting) or low light and forget it.

I don't need DSLR quality images. I need decent consumer quality...something that can replace a separate consumer grade digital camera and perhaps even take the place of my miniDV camera (the first one being the priority).

Right now, whatever camera it has will be a huge improvement. People that don't have 3Gs or original iPhones tend to forget: There's no zoom or video recording whatsoever, and we still are at 2 MP.

So excited to upgrade!
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Networks don't even bother including video calls in the features any more after several failed attempts at building up some hype.

But they are still available for use