Apple begins shipping iPad 3G preorders before Friday's launch

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    vsighivsighi Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This may seem odd to many here but I was considering the 15" until the update so I'm going with a 13" MBP again. The 10 hour battery, the much better IGP, the C2D speed bump as well as the other new features for $1,099 (student discount) work for me. If they went with Core-i with an Intel HD IGP I would have gone with a 15" MBP. Adding 1 TB HDD and an 80GB Intel X25 SSD as a boot drive should give me a very nice bump over my current system.

Have you read much about the new MBPs? Their new new switchable graphics has the potential for being the best in class but right now it's just as unintelligent as Nvidia's Optimus. I know it's new and we should expect some hiccups but it's still needs some work. They also need to allow you to turn off the dGPU to conserver battery power. I've looked and looked for a hidden switch. They really seem to have not made that an option.

Yeah, I did. This is a birthday (from April) and Mother's Day gift. I've honestly never seen her get excited about any piece of technology, except a new car, but she is gaga for the iPad.

I'll sure I'll end up getting another iPad for myself. 3G this time. When I get it depends on the HW breakdown from iFixit (hoping for more RAM) and OS updates it gets (can't stand the Safari page reloads).

No manual GPU switch... the switch is inside the Snow Leopard OS. 15" MBP will turn on nVidia dedicated graphic if your system needs more horse power.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shanghai View Post

Mine .... just flipped to shipped. ....... Now it looks like Christmas is truly April 30 this year.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Whee!!!

Just got my tracking number. ......

/kid at Christmas

My day (and impending loooooong weekend) grows steadily worse with such news..... I think I know how some of our Canadian/foreign bretheren feel now......
  • Reply 43 of 59
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Apple quaetly shipped iPads to distribution centers all around the country because my iPad is coming from PA location, unlike other iPad coming straight from China.

I can't wait for it to arrive tomorrow!
  • Reply 44 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My day (and impending loooooong weekend) grows steadily worse with such news..... I think I know how some of our Canadian/foreign bretheren feel now......

I am H-Y-P-E-R-V-E-N-T-I-L-A-T-I-N-G as I write this:

"Dear ______,

We are pleased to inform you that one or more of your items has shipped. Please see the details of the shipment below. If you ordered more than one item, they may ship separately.

- The Apple Store"

(Memo to self: Need to get a life).
  • Reply 45 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Solipsism-- how old are you? I get the impression from your last few posts that you are quite young. From your prior posts you seem experienced and knowledgeable in the ways of the world.

I am a 70 2/3 year-old kid (I was 40, and in the room, when Steve Jobs said he didn't trust anyone over 30).

I'm over 30 so I guess I can be trusted.

Out of curiosity, what part of my post made you think I was "quite young"? Is being "experienced and knowledgeable in the ways of the world" mutually exclusive to being young, even if it often unlikely?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vsighi View Post

No manual GPU switch... the switch is inside the Snow Leopard OS. 15" MBP will turn on nVidia dedicated graphic if your system needs more horse power.

There is a manual switch to keep the dGPU on at all times, just not one to disable the dSPU. Other switchable graphics options do have this capability.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    i ordered ipad wi-fi/3G on 4/19 along with power adapter, dock, case, and camera kit.

power adapter, dock arrived yesterday.

case arrived today.

cam kit should arrive next week??

order for ipad says that it will be shipped by 5/7. can it be shipped earlier??

i am soooooooo psyched like kid at xmas!!!
  • Reply 47 of 59
    My grandson, Braden, has a report on "Kentucky" due tomorrow.

He (with the help of his mom and sister) has been entering it into Pages on the iMac.

He needs a few hundred more words, so, yesterday, they went to Barnes & Noble to see what books they had... the only thing was a $15 Atlas (We live in California).

Braden's mom, Patti, planned an after-school trip to the library (and I would babysit his brother and sister). On a whim, Patti asked if the iBook app on my iPad had any books on Kentucky.

Long story, short: There are 24 iBooks in the store on Kentucky: 20 Free and 4 Pay.

So, we downloaded a few KentuckeBooks to the iPad. (see what I did there?)

Braden can interchange Pages docs between the iMac and iPad and copy/paste data between the iBook and his Pages report.

Not perfect, yet, but it saved a trip to the library (and released the pressure that Braden was sharing with us all).

Braden's sister, Marlowe, graduates middle school. Patti is considering a laptop or an iPad... from what we know, an iPad is a better match for Marlowe's needs. And it's less expensive, has longer battery life, runs all our existing iPad and iPhone apps, weighs less... yadda, yadda, yadda!

My iPad 3G arrives tomorrow. Patti gets my iPad WiFi, and it looks like Marlowe will get an iPad in June.

...only 2 grandkids to go

Now, if only the textbook publishers would get creative, and offer the money-challenged school districts a way to provide electronic textbooks, while simultaneously maintaining profits, lowering their costs, and reducing the whole textbook distribution/warehousing/management costs of the struggling districts. It can be done. The iPads are the razors and the electronic textbooks are the razorblades (that never wear out).

/rant

• Reply 48 of 59
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You would be able to get service with your local provider in Canada. Then, when you come to the US, you will be able to access AT&T via whatever roaming plan you have.

I don't know what it's like in Canada, but I would rarely, if ever, use my in roaming in another country. Our roaming fees are humongous, so I wait until I have WiFi access.

I know that, roaming fees are humongous to for Canadian outside Canada, but I was hoping to be able to get a card of ATT to put in my iPad to get internet during vacation and only paid the 15 or 30$ for the month.

Also, I was in decision to go in the USA to get a 3G iPad. Did this iPad will work in the network in Canada?
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ravensbhind View Post

i ordered ipad wi-fi/3G on 4/19 along with power adapter, dock, case, and camera kit.

power adapter, dock arrived yesterday.

case arrived today.

cam kit should arrive next week??

order for ipad says that it will be shipped by 5/7. can it be shipped earlier??

i am soooooooo psyched like kid at xmas!!!

If you always have the ipad in the case, the dock is useless. The Ipad cannot dock while inside the case. I made the same mistake and returned the dock. Also the ipad comes with a power adapter. Unless you need an extra one, you can return that too.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:

I'm over 30 so I guess, thought just by a little, so I guess I can be trusted.

It's not a matter of trust, rather your ability to focus on what's important, and deflect what is not... and to see/enjoy humor!

If you thought that 21 or 30 were big birthdays, just wait...

Your 40th birthday is when you realize that if you want to "do it your way", it's time to do it!

...take that last big chance & change the world

[QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what part of my post made you think I was "quite young"? Is being "experienced and knowledgeable in the ways of the world" mutually exclusive to being young, even if it often unlikely?

I don't know... talk of your mom and returning/trading-up the iPad.

If you consider history, Alexander, Jesus, JFK, Jerry Lee Lewis, and many others had conquered their worlds at very young ages... Chronological age means nothing if the years are wasted.

• Reply 51 of 59
    etsleeetslee Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Because TMobile uses an unusual frequency. However, it's not the case that it only works with AT&T. It will work with any carrier globally that uses the supported frequencies and has the infrastructure in place to allow iPad 3G data plan signup, which will be most of them. You'll just have to get a micro-sim for a local carrier and sign up. Unlike, for example, most phones, where just putting in a sim isn't enough, because the phone is still locked to a specific carrier.

Thanks!
  • Reply 52 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Me neither.

I didn't order until April 12th and mine is going to the Southeast US. When did you put in your order and what area is it going.

PS: I have to wait until next Tuesday to get my new MBP and i have my 1TB HDD (OptiBay) and Intel X25 SSD sitting here waiting to go into it. It's killing me!

The only 1TB notebook hard drive I see is 12.5mm, how is that going to fit into an MBP?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

I emailed that site and told them that the Safari user agent can be altered to make it appear as if itś a iPad accessing the web.

Nearly any browser can be altered like that. But that what's the benefit or interest in doing that on a wide scale?
  • Reply 53 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

I know that, roaming fees are humongous to for Canadian outside Canada, but I was hoping to be able to get a card of ATT to put in my iPad to get internet during vacation and only paid the 15 or 30$ for the month.

Also, I was in decision to go in the USA to get a 3G iPad. Did this iPad will work in the network in Canada?

I thought I read somewhere that Rogers was considering a multi-device data plan, where one plan covered both an iPhone and an iPad-- the theory being that you probably wouldn't (or couldn't) be using the cell on both at the same time.

• Reply 54 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The only 1TB notebook hard drive I see is 12.5mm, how is that going to fit into an MBP?

I was shocked to find out this was possible.
    Note the edit at the end of the first post if you decide to read the replies.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    I'm a university instructor in Central Missouri, and one of my students, who ordered her 3G iPad early, received her kit several weeks ago and her 3G iPad today. She brought it to our afternoon class. No, I don't have pics, and no, I don't know when exactly she ordered it, but I HAVE seen it, and it DID arrive early.

Let the nay-saying commence,

wmt
  • Reply 56 of 59
    The precious is here!! Muahahaaaaaaaa!
  • Reply 57 of 59
    VoIP does not work with 3G. A major disappointment..... and somewhat crippling.

Otherwise, loving my iPad.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    At 11:39 am EDT a bouncing baby iPad was delivered - it's sweet!
  • Reply 59 of 59
    to clarify an earlier post - a sim card for AT&T is in the slot, smaller than the iPhone card - it is using a very small card - larger sim cards don't seem to fit - so it may be prepping for the 4g fun a little later on and the switch to the smaller sim card format - was easy to get the 3g connection going.