Boot Camp and WinXP SP1?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is it possible to install XP at SP1 with Boot Camp? I have both the SP2 and SP3 updates, but it's not clear if I can run them after installation of SP1. Apple's instructions on this are vague and confusing.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3777

In my opinion, unless your running 3D games or something, better off using a virtual machine software like VMFusion or Parallels.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    You need to Slipstream SP3 into your Win XP SP1 cd.

http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstr...nstallation-cd
  • Reply 3 of 25
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Unfortunately slipstreaming requires a Windows PC, and if I had one of those I probably would not have much reason to install Windows on my Mac. Any other workarounds? I've seen suggestions for installing the demo of Parallels, which does support SP1 and using it to slipstream, but some have said this does not work.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    You won´t need to slipstream if your running a virtual machine software.

Install VM Fusion or Parallels > File >New Virtual Machine

Insert XP SP1 > follow instructions

Once you got Windows running in a window on OS X you can either

1: Start Menu > Windows Update

or

2: Tell Fusion or Parallels to designate the Superdrive to Windows and insert the disk with SP2 then SP3 and run the update from the disks. Just like running a program.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Well, I don't want to buy Parallels or Fusion. I know both can run SP1. Problem is, I want to install Windows under bootcamp. Does anyone have any experience slipstreaming in the demo versions of either? I think the problem is disc burning when you're done. Windows being Windows, I presume additional software is required.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    stefanstefan Posts: 24member
    I'd install XP SP1 in a virtual machine and get nLite and CDBurnerXP. Download the SP3 exe from microsoft and slipstream it using nLite and then just burn the ISO using CDBurnerXP.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stefan View Post

I'd install XP SP1 in a virtual machine and get nLite and CDBurnerXP. Download the SP3 exe from microsoft and slipstream it using nLite and then just burn the ISO using CDBurnerXP.

That's probably what I will try. I've seen some work-around procedures for getting SP1 to run in Boot Camp but they look quite complicated and not 100% effective.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Another (free) option is VirtualBox. It works well as long as you care not about graphics. It worked well for me while experimenting with Windows 7 Beta and Release Candidate. I run Leopard on an iMac 20 from mid-2007.

My experience with BootCamp was odd at best. Windows 7 is not supported in Leopard. I had issues with the Realtek audio drivers. They didn't work at all with W7 Beta, but eventually did with W7 RC. The audio did not work well. Sound was too loud, and I couldn't seem to find a fix. Also, my bluetooth keyboard and mouse would not work correctly. Keyboard was fine, but not recognized as bluetooth. Mouse worked, but would not scroll.

It is possible XP will work for you, especially if you are using USB input devices. I would give XP a try. Don't install the extras from the Mac OS X DVD if they are not necessary. In my case, lost input because the bluetooth drivers were installed.

Just don't register Windows until you are sure it works for you.

I hate to say this, but if you want to run Windows, do it on a PC. Rumor is downgrade rights to XP Pro from Windows 7 Pro may come to an end when Windows 7 SP 1 is released. Rumor also is, SP 1 is now in Beta release.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Thanks, I'll have a look at VirtualBox too. The only thing I'm currently interested in running in Windows is an older game, so graphics performance is a consideration. So I when I get up enough nerve I'll try the slipstreaming route through one of the virtual machines and install the results under Bootcamp.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    For the record, VirtualBox would not allow me to play the games included in Windows. Graphics support was that bad. I love games and play many online. Sadly Flash is a problem and Shockwave is out of the question. Eventually, I will return to a PC. My eyesight is the primary reason, but there are just too many things the Mac can't do. I have tinkered with BootCamp, VirtualBox, Parallels, and Fusion. I would prefer running Windows on a PC. If you like really old DOS games, checkout Boxer.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    I was not going to try running any games in VirtualBox or any virtual machine. I just needed it to slipstream XP SP1 to SP3 so it installs on Bootcamp. I think that should be doable, but it also sounds like a day's work.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    When I installed Windows 7 into VirtualBox, it would often lockup if I used the dynamically expanding virtual disc option. It takes a little while to construct the fixed disc, but will probably be worth the wait. Good Luck!
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I was not going to try running any games in VirtualBox or any virtual machine. I just needed it to slipstream XP SP1 to SP3 so it installs on Bootcamp. I think that should be doable, but it also sounds like a day's work.

If you're still going to try the slipstreaming route then use a product called nLite. Its free and is a dream come true for managing Windows installs
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Finally getting around to trying this. I am in the process of slipstreaming XP using nLite (in VirtualBox) for the purpose of adding SP3 and installing in BootCamp. Do I want to customize the install in any way? I presume BootCamp will automatically take care of issues like the driver for the iMac video card (Radeon HD 2600 Pro). Or should I download and add it to the slipstreamed installer?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Finally getting around to trying this. I am in the process of slipstreaming XP using nLite (in VirtualBox) for the purpose of adding SP3 and installing in BootCamp. Do I want to customize the install in any way? I presume BootCamp will automatically take care of issues like the driver for the iMac video card (Radeon HD 2600 Pro). Or should I download and add it to the slipstreamed installer?

No need to add drivers, your Snow Leopard DVD has all the drivers you need and they're certified to work with your iMac. In fact, I wouldn't update drivers even after Windows is installed. Only when/if Apple releases new Boot Camp drivers would I consider upgrading
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

No need to add drivers, your Snow Leopard DVD has all the drivers you need and they're certified to work with your iMac. In fact, I wouldn't update drivers even after Windows is installed. Only when/if Apple releases new Boot Camp drivers would I consider upgrading

The iMac's native screen resolution wasn't available until I installed the drivers from my Snow Leopard disc -- otherwise you get 1024x768 or some other standard resolution stretched to fit 1680x1050. Ugly! The problem I have now is that I can't set any other resolution in Windows without it stretching to fit. Installing a game which runs in the standard SVGA aspect ratio, it gets stretched to fit horizontally. No pillar-boxing as in OSX. That's not going to work. ATI does have some newer Bootcamp drivers available, which I will probably have to at least try. This can't be an isolated issue.

FWIW, this entire exercise took nearly an entire day. Installing Windows in VirtualBox was the easy part. The hard part was figuring out how to burn an ISO disc in VirtualBox. This turns out to be impossible as nearly as I could tell. The suggestion of CDBurnerXP didn't work, because the iMac's optical drive isn't supported, at least not in that environment. I ended up using ftp to copy the slipstreamed file to OSX and Disk Utility to burn the ISO disc.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    I am pleased to see a follow up on this. Thanks Doc. I have access to Windows XP prior to SP1. Sounds like this endeavor is more trouble than I would consider it worth. Not that I totally dislike Mac OS or my iMac, I need something better suited to my eyesight. Rather than attempt something like this, I will return to Windows completely.

I don't understand how BootCamp works, but I don't understand why XP SP2 is the only option. I realize Windows 7 will not function correctly with Leopard. I have and hate Snow Leopard, so I am with Leopard until my Mac is history.

I am curious to know if it is possible to format my iMac's HD for MS-DOS entirely and install Windows as the only OS?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    I don't know if it's possible to run Windows as the sole operating system on Mac hardware, but it's really not a major issue since Bootcamp allows you to set the size of the partitions for both and also to set the default OS on startup. I understand you have sight issues, so I wonder if you haven't tried Universal Access, or if so, why that doesn't work for you. I know a Mac user who is legally blind and I have never heard him squawk about the Mac's display of text.

As far as which version of WIndowsXP is required for a direct install, the minimum is SP2. If you have SP3 that will work too. Unfortunately for me, all I had was SP1, which required the long detour into VirtualBox.

Incidentally I did finally find a solution to the stretched display in Windows. First I installed the current Bootcamp drivers for my Radeon graphics directly from ATI. After doing that, digging deeply into the Windows Display control panel I found a new tab for ATI settings, and digging even deeper, found one for maintaining proportionality on laptops. Why it was in this place was a mystery, but I found the setting, guessed what it must be for, and it solved my problem. Getting things right in Windows is so much about coal mining and guesswork.

If you go back to Windows, I wish you luck. I'd forgotten how much I hated it.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    My eyesight issues are brain related. As I was told at UC Berkeley, I have 20/20 vision, but can't use it. Eyesight is gently but constantly blurry. Most low vision users are just fine with Mac OS as you say. I used Windows 7 Beta and RC, and it looked better on this very iMac. I did have to bump up the DPI to 125% or Windows would not be any better. For some reason, the DPI bump works better for me than any of the tools in Universal Access. I have indeed, tried them all. I do use the larger mouse pointer feature. Poor thing looks like an 8-bit graphic, with jaggies galore.

Yes, I too have been a Windows user since 3.0. It was nothing but trouble in the past. The biggest trouble I encountered with Windows 7 Beta and RC, were BootCamp issues. Because of my desire to learn, I often mess things up along the way. Mac OS is no better than any other OS in that regard. Getting help is not all that easy.

I don't see a difference between Mac OS and Windows, when it comes to exploring, and running into trouble. I want to learn Ubuntu. It will run without all the problems associated with programs like VirtualBox. Don't ask me why, but VB works much better on a PC than a Mac. So do other programs not originally designed for the Mac. HDMI is just now coming to the Mac. I have to use it. I am going to be forced to use a 720p screen soon, either a 22 or 26 inch.

I don't like the mini, or Snow Leopard. Windows 7 is just fine, and Ubuntu runs natively on a PC. The Mac is a bad fit for me. Eyes won't do anything but get worse. So, I really don't have a choice.

I will miss the voice Alex when he is gone.

I can promise, when my iMac is gone, I will not be trolling this website. I too will be gone.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    I presume you've tried setting the fonts to larger sizes. Out of curiosity, why is that not helpful? You can do this in the Finder and most everywhere else that matters. What about changing the screen resolution, as you've done in Windows?