Apple announces iPad sales top 1 million in less than a month

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    tumme-tottetumme-totte Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Actually this is what I wanted to clarify. Do you and your wife share the same account, i.e., some sort of a family account, and pay just "one" even if ported into several portable devices? I am indeed considering a server as a common porting device.

CGC

Well, I buy most music, but I do that out of my own pocket/credit card. And she has her own account tied to her own credit card. You now - never let the women use your credit card...

No, but we do share some music and music where the taste differ we have agreed to pay for separately. But you can authorize more than one account on one computer. Then it's just a matter of syncing music to your computer and then on to your other devices.

One thing most people don't keep in mind in this debate is that music is often DRM free and you can share them among computers. Today it's the other media, in our case mostly movies and TV Shows, where the account thing is important. And since you can authorize 5 computers to the sae account there's seldom any practical problems. At least I haven't stumbled in to any.

Ohhh - and the third account - my own second - is always loaded from american gift cards. Otherwise the iTunes eco system is relatively dull, i e if there's only music and apps to dive into. But this is probably more due to move and music industry rights than Apples intentions. If there would be ONE iTunes store thru out the world with all media - that would be awesome indeed!
  • Reply 82 of 102
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I don't think so. People know that they need some memory. The first iPhone started with 4GB and 8GB. The 4GB was dumped shortly after.

The Apple Store I was at on Friday to buy mine was sold out of 16's in both models, for whatever that's worth.
  • Reply 83 of 102
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I fully agree! And I use my iPad outside the home for all of those things as well (aside from the kids... no kids).... great for notes, presentations, meetings, movies, etc. in coffee shops, planes, airport terminals... etc... but the conversation was about storage capacity and again... for all of the above use cases... 16GB is plenty. You only need a movie or two or three for plane travel... and kids will happily watch the same cartoons over and over again. I personally don't see the need for an iPad to house your entire collection of music and videos. Then again... if you can aford the 64GB... why not right?! Personally... I just couldn't justify the cost. The 64GB iPad end up costing almost as much as a "real" computer! (i.e. low end MacBook)

As indicated in the other article after this, while I doubt the statistical sampling, I agree that more than likely many people can do with the lower disk storage. Of course, more than likely, Apple is likely to increase the base disk storage in the next generation. I would not be surprised if they also lower the price, since most likely the R&D cost would be recooped by then, and also the impact of economies of scale. Also, the price of components, including disk storage are likely to go down.

There are users actually, like myself, who could use the iPad as storage of raw photos (instead of carrying another external drive). The same is true with video. The advantage is that with the widescreen of the iPad, it is easier to view the quality of the digital images, and even make minor edits. If the images are not good enough, with the digital camera, you can make more photos while still in the field. I could also use the iPad to updload the raw images to archive them in internet sites I use for that purpose. This will serve as backup.

One concern I have with the iPad, if what I read is correct is that it automaticallly compresses images. If this leads to a decrease in resolution to the raw images, then the IPad will not work for the specific purpose I outlined above.

I am sure there are other people who have more use for the iPad that will require larger disk storage. For example, there was a You Tube video where a more tech DJ, used two iPads to mix and edit dynamic DJ music. This is a niche application, of course. However, many people in different fields are thinking of such uses for the iPad.

The examples given are beyond consumption use of the iPad, but for its potential creative use, depending on the field and interest of the individual.

I was thinking about the price of the iPad, especially the 3G version at $629. After you add the cover (which I consider a must), a physical bluetooth keyboard, the video adaptor (??) the total cost is just a few hundred dollars less than the MacBook.

The lighter weight of the iPad is an incentive though.

CGC
  • Reply 84 of 102
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

This is just the US ad it is just the beginning. Apple will sell way more than one million in May when they release it world wide.

Suddenly the naysayers disappeared

Yes you are right about the numbers, but it is far from a world wide release that is coming up, world wide won't be until the end of the year, if not next year.
  • Reply 85 of 102
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

That may be true. If my recollection is correct, after the initial orders in March, I believe they secured a contract with another company as source for the alternative of the large multi-touch screen.

Aside from supply availability of the individual components, another key factor, if it is to be production is the amount of space (more likely separate physical factories) devoted for the production of the iPad. This will take time, even the existing factories already reached full capacity and 24/7 operation (2 or three shifts).

CGC

I just hope they crack on and get some more on the shelves - I can't find one anywhere!
  • Reply 86 of 102
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:

I don't get the i - tablet, what's it's purpose, apple won't sell, we are in a recession.

1 million devices in a month.
  • Reply 87 of 102
    carson o'geniccarson o'genic Posts: 1,279member
    I'm betting that the iPad will be one of the most-wanted gifts come this Christmas. They are going to make a bundle on this product.
  • Reply 88 of 102
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

e-textbooks

hospitals using remote access software for bedside data retrieval and updating

on set PDA for filming, news stations etc

POS for farmer's markets, flea markets etc

I even saw a guy on the promenade here with an ipad doing those cartoon portraits and emailing them to buyers. making money hand over fist.

there's lots you can do with it. if you have the imagination

Quite true.. We have a similar discussion in another thread here about the varied uses and potential of the iPad in various fields.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

Well, I buy most music, but I do that out of my own pocket/credit card. And she has her own account tied to her own credit card. You now - never let the women use your credit card...

So far, I have not really bought much music itself. I have not had a chance to upload my entire CD collection yet. I have more than 100 CDs still to upload.

It would be the Apps and the eBooks, and more than likely some of my favorite movies that I may actually buy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I just hope they crack on and get some more on the shelves - I can't find one anywhere!

Come to Boston, the last time I visited the Apple Store in Boylston, I got the impression they still have some stocks of the Wifi. It was the Apple iPad cover that was backordered. It was quite crowded about two weeks ago, considering that it was past 7pm when I was there, and still crowded when I left past 8pm.

I have not had a chance to visit the store yet since the iPhone 3G was released.

CGC
  • Reply 89 of 102
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Walt Mossberg on Charlie Rose mentioned 1M as a signifiicant milestone for the iPad. Unbelievable!
  • Reply 90 of 102
    idreamzidreamz Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Just curious. Can you have more than one of the iPad, and have just one account for the iTunes, iBooks, etc. the share the Apps and the eBook content?

This will save me a bundle.

CGC

I'm pretty sure you can. I don't have the Ipad but when I got my iPhone 3gs, I gave my 1st gen iPod Touch to my son. I have one iTunes account and we share all of the music, movies and apps, etc across both devices no problem. In fact, he has settings for when he syncs his Touch and I have settings for when I sync my iPhone. iTune keeps the settings separate for each device. For example, I don't want all of his games that he has downloaded from the app store on my iPhone so I uncheck them and it will not sync them on the iPhone but will sync them when my son plugs in his Touch. The same goes for song libraries, movies, etc. I'm pretty sure you can do the same things with the ipads.
  • Reply 91 of 102
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:

Just curious. Can you have more than one of the iPad, and have just one account for the iTunes, iBooks, etc. the share the Apps and the eBook content?

CGC

Yes. Everything is licensed for the household. This saves you a lot of money if you have multiple devices. This is the same for iBooks, iTunes, and apps. You can have unlimited iPods, iphones, and iPads in your household, but are limited to only five computers to sync your devices from. You can sync multiple devices from the same computer if you have more then five people in your house. They all have to be tied to the same iTunes account. iTunes 9 made this very easy by letting you transfer your purchases to your other computers automatically. You can also sync from multiple accounts to the same device. That could be handy if you give your kids their own accounts. There is still the five machine limit, but it doesn't have to be the same five machines.
  • Reply 92 of 102
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    Looks like the IPAD is almost unstopable! 1 million in 28 days, supply can NOT keep up with demand, International sales have been pushed back by 1 month. LIMIT IS STILL 2

This item is hot. It has its functions (basically as a Media device) However, it's not taking over your desktop nor was it intended to.

It's a nice new toy. gaining momentum by the day. Fight it all you want but this IPAD is 'HIP' The people love it and it's in.

Last point: Mr. Munster making estimates, my question is what is he basing his figures on??????? I know APPLE is NOT providing him or anyone else with info. Nice to be an analist

whoops was that a spelling error???
  • Reply 93 of 102
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    Very impressive apple!
  • Reply 94 of 102
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevin Winsness View Post

One million without 3G or international sales????? By Christmas time I think we will be sitting at around 5-6 million sold!

Nah!

We haven't, yet, seen:

-- International Rollout

-- Killer app related buys

-- graduation buys

-- summer travel buys (navigation, Movie player)

-- large corporate buys

-- large institutional buys (education, hospital, etc)

-- back to school buys

-- holiday gift buys

I suspect the sales by Jan 1, 2011 to be 10,000,000 units.

Here's one way it permeates a family:

-- I got my 64GB WiFi on WiFi-day 1

-- I got a 64 GB 3G on 3G-day 1

-- I gave the WiFi unit to my daughter

-- She competes for time on it with her three kids

-- Her daughter will get one when she graduates middle school in June

-- her 2 younger boys compete for use of mine

-- the 5th grader is doing a geography report: researching using free eBooks and surfing; writing using Pages.

-- all use for Movies, TV, Games

-- the 2 boys will each get one for Xmas (or when the stock hits $300).

So, each of the 5 people in this extended family will have one by year end.

It's insidi..., er... magical!

• Reply 95 of 102
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

CGC

-- You can share an iTunes account downloads (pay or free) among multiple iPhones iPads

-- an iPad can synch with multiple iTunes accounts

For example. my daughter bought an eBook for her iPad, on her iTunes account.

While synching her iPad wit my iTunes account, she got the apps I bought & I got the books she bought... both iPads have access to all the apps, ebooks, movies, etc.

I think the limit is 5.

But, as others have mentioned, if you have a repository of movies on a Mac somewhere, you can stream them to multiple iPads.

• Reply 96 of 102
    steve_artssteve_arts Posts: 25member
    way to go apple ,now lets wait for the international sales shall we?
  • Reply 97 of 102
    minimalisminimalis Posts: 1member
    Good news, im waiting new models iPad with more functionality.

Godsmack discography
  • Reply 98 of 102
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Nah!

I suspect the sales by Jan 1, 2011 to be 10,000,000 units.

The netbook market was 20-30M last year. Even if Apple just gets 5-6M, that is 20-25% compared with the netbook market in its very first year. 10M will be 33-50%. That is just a ridiculous bunch of sales and completely feasible if Apple can make supply match the demand.
  • Reply 99 of 102
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Yep. See?? It fails on so many levels! It lacks so much that consumers are going to stay away in droves! Droves I tell you!

It doesn't have [fill-in the feature]...

It doesn't do [fill-in the service]...

They are lying to you! The analysts and the pundits and especially Steve "RDF" Jobs (the Tech Satan) are lying to you! Wake up you drones of Cupertino! You are being sucked into the Vortex of Control! There is barbed wire on the walled garden! Freedom! And Flash! And...and...and...freedom!

APPLE IS DOOMED?

*This rant is brought to you as a service of the regularly scheduled contributors. Normally the usual group of nay-sayers would be filling this role, but they are depressed and in denial. So we who would normally be objective or positive contributors have taken it on ourselves to add this special rant in whenever Apple is horrendously successful at a release, to ease the burden of our fellow contributors who cannot handle that success. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread*

Epic win.
  • Reply 100 of 102
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I disagree. I think the iPad will mostly be used in the home (that's where I mostly use mine)... and as such... local storage is barely needed. I can stream all my media to the iPad using Air Video or Stream To Me...

Meh, maybe I'm old fashioned but streaming sucks. And I guess I'm not as much of a homebody as I thought I was, as I upgraded in line from the 16GB model to the 32GB model and now I kind of wish I had hopped out of line and tried some other Apple stores or a BestBuy for a 64GB model. I find myself space constrained from Apps and content regularly