Apple's next-gen iPhone could record 720p high-def video

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    I see an awesome advertising campaign in Apple's future. Same crap image quality... now in high definition!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Explorer5 View Post

Did you read the part in the SDK that says all video recorded on this new iPhone will only be able to be viewed by other iphone users because apple will create a "groundbreaking, 22nd century" video/audio codec that will prevent it from being viewed on devices outside of the iphone, ipad and itouch.

That's a joke right?
  • Reply 22 of 28
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Yes, but the lenses in these camera phones are so small that they really only look good playing back on a...camera phone.

I don't agree with you. My phone - obviously not an iPhone - takes damn fine photos and very acceptable 720x480 30 fps video. Replayed on a 50" plasma they look great. Not as good as a HQ dedicated handicam, but not shabby either.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It will just render stuff a bit sharper. I don't think it was an important move, the current screen looks fine in terms of pixel density - that upgrade seems made for the spec sheet. Since the screen quality is available, they may as well use it though.

I think the aim IS quality - not the Spec Sheet since few would actually understand the real difference (not knowing what they have now).

What I heard rumored (supposedly from SJ) is that the desire is to get pixel density high enough to rival laserwriter output so that as far as sharpness goes there is no noticeable difference between iPad/iPhone and print media. It will take more than just throwing a higher dpi at it but remember that many fonts have hinting and have been optimized for 300 dpi since the majority of printers were optimized for that resolution (although they often had the capability to print at a higher resolution) since its what the LaserWriter and HP laser printer were capable of back in 1985 and became the de facto standard for other manufacturers.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Explorer5 View Post

Did you read the part in the SDK that says all video recorded on this new iPhone will only be able to be viewed by other iphone users because apple will create a "groundbreaking, 22nd century" video/audio codec that will prevent it from being viewed on devices outside of the iphone, ipad and itouch.

Unfortunately Apple will never release the code or license the codec to other manufacturers/software programmers because their software/hardware will never be good enough and will never be able to display the video in the mindboggling HD quality that only a quality apple device can provide.

Lastly, in the legal agreement of the SDK it states how apple has the right to use any video created on the iphone with their codec and sell it on iTunes, keeping 100% of the profit since they are ensuring your video gets the most amount of publicity vs closed/unfriendly/evil systems such as YouTube.

My version of said document, if it existed , would have me under non-disclosure regarding such discussions.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    EVO 4G, HD2, and Droid Incredible already do HD video and have 8 megapixel cameras, right? So this is kind of a lame update.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I don't agree with you. My phone - obviously not an iPhone - takes damn fine photos and very acceptable 720x480 30 fps video. Replayed on a 50" plasma they look great. Not as good as a HQ dedicated handicam, but not shabby either.

the new nokia has a 12 megapixel camera and carl zeiss lens. It takes fabulous HD video and photos.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    .........and the iPhone is the top phone for uploaded pix and video to Flickr.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

the new nokia has a 12 megapixel camera and carl zeiss lens. It takes fabulous HD video and photos.

• Reply 28 of 28
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

.........and the iPhone is the top phone for uploaded pix and video to Flickr.

Using your logic (sic), does that make windows a better OS than OSX?

I 'was' thinking of getting a Canon 5D Mk II - silly, I know - now I think I'll just get an iPhone 3G as it must be better.