Apple stores completely sold out of iPad 3G, furnish waiting lists

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    kbsbemekbsbeme Posts: 25member
    I bought a 3G iPad and Apple case on Saturday. It is a device that will truly impact the electronics marketplace. As a result of this purchase we will:
    • be selling our laptop,

• use our iMacs only for actual work,

• not buy the car GPS we were considering, and

• hardly ever use our iPod Touch.

Selling the laptop will cover the cost of the iPad, plus we save the expense of a GPS unit.
  • Reply 42 of 98
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I'm happy I stood in line for three hours last Friday. I was thinking of waiting until after the weekend, but now it looks like I made the right decision.

I've got a lot of programs for this already, and it's an amazing device. I haven't yet signed up for 3G though.

Everywhere I've taken it, people have played with it, and more than a few have said that while they heard of it, and even saw it on Tv or the web, this handling of it had made them decide to buy one.

I've never seen anything like that before, and that includes the reactions to my iPhone 3G. The fact that this doesn't require some kind of 2 year contract to someone makes a difference.

Yep...each one of these 1,000,000+ iPads is going to be a walking/talking billboard for Apple!

1 in every 330 people in the US have already bought one! In the first 28 days! Amazing.

I experienced a little of what you are talking about where complete strangers would come up and talk to me about the original white iBook G3, and the original iPhone. But I would have to say the most interest I ever got was the original white shuffle...white earbuds with what look like a solid white plastic 'pack' of Wriggley's gum! I can only imagine the impact of the iPad! Enjoy!
  • Reply 43 of 98
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kbsbeme View Post

I bought a 3G iPad and Apple case on Saturday. It is a device that will truly impact the electronics marketplace. As a result of this purchase we will:
    • be selling our laptop,

Selling the laptop will cover the cost of the iPad, plus we save the expense of a GPS unit.

Lol, sounds a lot like all of us who bought an iPad. I never would have guessed how much this little guy could do, or how many things it nearly completely replaces. I'll miss Steve when he goes. One of the most astute minds the world has ever seen.
  • Reply 44 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kbsbeme View Post

• be selling our laptop,

Very logical...when I get my iPad I fully expect to just let my MacBook 'die' and not replace it. I hope to end up with an iPad 3gs, my current original intel iMac, (which if it dies will replace with a 27" iMac) and debating whether to upgrade my current iPhone 3Gs to the G4 or downgrade to a Walmart Boost 'dumb' phone and forego sending ATT the extra $80/mo?

Just need to make sure the 'dumb' phone can sync contacts with Apple's Address book! Anyone know, off hand of an Verizon, T-Mobile or Walmart Boost phones that sync contacts?

If business pickups probably just upgrade to the 4G iPhone. And put it down to the 'cost of doing business!'
  • Reply 45 of 98
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    This is not looking good for International buyers.

Sold out in the USA, does not appear to mean that they have lot of stock, will this mean a further delay?
  • Reply 46 of 98
    maaubelmaaubel Posts: 3member
    At this rate the iPad will never ship in europe... And that pisses me off!
  • Reply 47 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonder View Post

This is not looking good for International buyers.

Sold out in the USA, does not appear to mean that they have lot of stock, will this mean a further delay?

Consider that it might be sold out here _because_ Apple is diverting units for the international launch. They have first mover advantage here in the US, so they can afford to let us cool our heels while they stockpile for the other countries. I assume that the number of people who are purchasing alternatives (nook/kindle, netbook, ipod touch) because they can't get an iPad is likely fairly low.
  • Reply 48 of 98
    Well, I'm living in Germany where the iPad isn't available officially yet. Got one from eBay 2 weeks ago. Amazing device. Exactly what I wanted to browse the internet on the couch or in bed. Won't be the only one I buy. Can't wait for the 3G version to be available in Germany. Trend goes for having at least two iPads per home.
  • Reply 49 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clochard42 View Post

Well, I'm living in Germany where the iPad isn't available officially yet. Got one from eBay 2 weeks ago. Amazing device. Exactly what I wanted to browse the internet on the couch or in bed. Won't be the only one I buy. Can't wait for the 3G version to be available in Germany. Trend goes for having at least two iPads per home.

Yep, my 'trend' has been to be an early adopter and then when the second gen. comes out, buying that too and giving my daughter the first gen.

But recently, she has been able to 'connive' her way to where she gets the latest and greatest and I end up with the 'old models.'

Eg. She started Med school with my original intel MacBook but after a semester came home and I had to buy her a new top tier 13" MacBookPro and I got the almost 4 year old Macbook back.
  • Reply 50 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Yep, my 'trend' has been to be an early adopter and then when the second gen. comes out, buying that too and giving my daughter the first gen.

But recently, she has been able to 'connive' her way to where she gets the latest and greatest and I end up with the 'old models.'

Eg. She started Med school with my original intel MacBook but after a semester came home and I had to buy her a new top tier 13" MacBookPro and I got the almost 4 year old Macbook back.

I know exactly what you mean.. Well, that's life with the family we love.
  • Reply 51 of 98
    Quote:

I know exactly what you mean.. Well, that's life with the family we love.

Well said, and as the old saying goes, 'a son takes a wife, but a daughter is for life!'

I like it! Apple makes me look like a genius to her!
  • Reply 52 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Well said, and as the old saying goes, 'a son takes a wife, but a daughter is for life!'

I like it! Apple makes me look like a genius to her!

And I like your post scriptum. Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam (English: "Furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed"). Nowadays this translates to "Flash has to be destroyed".
  • Reply 53 of 98
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:

I'm happy I stood in line for three hours last Friday. I was thinking of waiting until after the weekend, but now it looks like I made the right decision.

I've got a lot of programs for this already, and it's an amazing device. I haven't yet signed up for 3G though.

Everywhere I've taken it, people have played with it, and more than a few have said that while they heard of it, and even saw it on Tv or the web, this handling of it had made them decide to buy one.

I've never seen anything like that before, and that includes the reactions to my iPhone 3G. The fact that this doesn't require some kind of 2 year contract to someone makes a difference.

I agree. I went into my local Apple Store Friday and maxxed out on the 64GB, wifi 3G. Had some buyer's remorse initially but I'm over it. This device is amazing.

And, yeah, I'm making this entry on the iPad.
  • Reply 54 of 98
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maaubel View Post

At this rate the iPad will never ship in europe... And that pisses me off!

nah, Apple is undoubtedly stockpiling iPads from its limited production for the European launch. having an initial shortage is of course a classic marketing strategy for a hot new product. the harder it is to get, the more people want it. classic Apple tactics. but - get your advance order in!

we never get any inside info on the factories in China. are they running 24/7? the really big push will be in the fall of course, with full international distribution, back to school and then the holidays, and the 4.0 OS rollout hype. probably need to make 3 million a month by then.
  • Reply 55 of 98
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

nah, Apple is undoubtedly stockpiling iPads from its limited production for the European launch. having an initial shortage is of course a classic marketing strategy for a hot new product. the harder it is to get, the more people want it. classic Apple tactics. but - get your advance order in!

I hope you are being ironic.
  • Reply 56 of 98
    kernel843kernel843 Posts: 50member
    I reserved my iPad with the notify me option last Saturday. I didn't think demand would be as much as it was, so I decided not to go on Friday....went first thing Saturday morning and they were out.

Seventh business day is Tuesday....I'm going to lose my mind if it's not here by then. Only reason I didn't preorder was because I wouldn't have been here to sign for the package, and nearest FedEx office 1 hour away...same as the Apple Store.

Sigh, this turned from something I kind of wanted, to something I frantically check my email for every time I hear my iPhone go off.
  • Reply 57 of 98
    Quote:

And I like your post scriptum. Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam (English: "Furthermore, I think Carthage must be destroyed"). Nowadays this translates to "Flash has to be destroyed".

Thanks...and the above is really an 'old' saying, Cicero!

I like it!
  • Reply 58 of 98
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I watched it drop down 50 at one point.

Quote:

The problems with Greece is killing the market. Apple was down about $25 at one point.

• Reply 59 of 98
    champchamp Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post

I signed up on the 3G list in Chandler Arizona last Saturday afternoon. Still no notification.

Funny but I've sorta lost the urge to get one. Between my iPhone, Mac Pro, and 46" flat panel TV I am kinda maxed out consumption wise.

For road trips a 13" MBP would fit the bill better than an iPad. I'm not denying both would be nice but unfortunately my budget is currently limited.

Doug Dolde

www.douglasdolde.com

I have feeling your still going to get one.
  • Reply 60 of 98
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    My (wife's) mothers' day present is all set. With a nice red leather case too.

And, speaking for myself, I am addicted to my 3G/64. Brilliant device.