Road to Office 2011: New looks, support for Exchange, VBA

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I recently installed Office 2007 on my work machine (windows xp) and almost immediately had to switch back to 2003 for Word and Excel - primarily because I use macros extensively and while they function on 2007 - there is no way to customize the toolbar and include custom icons and keyboard shortcuts for my macros. Yes you can put them in the quick access toolbar but no custom icon or keyboard shortcut. Yesterday - for just one customer - I had to open 25 word docs and run a custom macro against that doc - which I can do VERY quickly form the keyboard alone with Word 2003 - but which requires me to mouse to a tiny target in 2007 - a target which thanks to the way windows handles menu bars is in a slightly different place all the time.

It did take me awhile to figure out where they had moved stuff to in 2007 and that you can get to a lot of stuff with right click and much of it seemed rather arbitrary as to why they moved things as they did. For a decade+ use of Office the switch to 2007 is rather painful. on the flip side folks who start with 2007 have a hard time using 2003 and older versions.

On the mac side I don't use Office extensively though it will be nice to have some feature parity - especially when it comes to VBA and macros - that way I can test my code and such - or get some work done on the native Mac side when my windows machine is not working.

Office 2007 on my wife's 10" netbook is awful when the ribbon is on - takes up a third of the screen so tools and menus and status etc.

Well you obviously do not understand the road map of the office suite. What you describe is nolonger done through VBA. VBA is on the way out. And everything will be done through .NET. Where one can design his own ribbon communicate through web services and of course all the the other things you can do through .NET.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Well you obviously do not understand the road map of the office suite. What you describe is nolonger done through VBA. VBA is on the way out. And everything will be done through .NET. Where one can design his own ribbon communicate through web services and of course all the the other things you can do through .NET.

So the literally millions of existing VBA spreadsheet macros are going to be obsoleted? I guess that's one way to get a new type of Office lock-in to whatever the new .NET version might be.

But, still, strange behavior for a company that insists on keeping around a method of volume naming that dates back to CP/M in 1967.

I guess they only move forward for the stuff that gets marketing dept. approval.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed, I made a promise awhile back that I would never have an MS product in my house, place of business or on my Apple computers...ever again!

Just FYI, every apple computer, iPhone OS device and SNOW Leopard upgrade has an MS tax...u do know Apple, and by extension you pay for an exchange active sync device license for each of those, right?
  • Reply 44 of 46
    riklarriklar Posts: 5member
    it is a very bad software
  • Reply 45 of 46
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    remove
  • Reply 46 of 46
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    stupid me... tricky linking back to such an old story....