Nokia sues Apple over alleged patent infringements in iPad 3G, iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

And you are ignoring that that is what Apple says (in their countercomplaint to be exact). So far without a shed of proof. Kind of "he said, she said". And you believe them? And not the other company in question? Fanboyism is fine but believing what any company says blindly is kind of silly.

F/RAND also means two different things in GSM/3G licensing in N.America/Europe than what it means in Asia. Could it be that Nokia wants NAM/Europe prices (like every NAM/European company pays) and Apple wants Asian prices? That would easily explain the conflicting statements. They would both be correct in a sense.

We'll only know if this a) ever goes to court b) isn't settled outside of court and c) documents are made public.

Regs, Jarkko

Moro, moro Jarkko.

BPE = Best post ever. You nailed it. Next time you are in Helsinki flag me and I will by you a beer.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Nokia is required to charge everyone the same license fees but they want MORE from Apple. Apple agreed to pay what Nokia charges everyone else and Nokia refused.

Said who exactly?

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 23 of 68
    zorinlynxzorinlynx Posts: 170member
    It's good to see Apple getting some of their own medicine after the crap they started with HTC/Google. The only downside about all this is these stupid lawsuits cost money, which will drive up the cost for both Apple and Nokia products in the long run.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Nokia is required to charge everyone the same license fees but they want MORE from Apple. Apple agreed to pay what Nokia charges everyone else and Nokia refused.

Has this been proved? I know that this has been Apple's defence but has it been verified by an independent 3rd party?

I'm guessing we won't know the truth until the court case.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

And you are ignoring that that is what Apple says (in their countercomplaint to be exact). So far without a shed of proof. Kind of "he said, she said". And you believe them? And not the other company in question? Fanboyism is fine but believing what any company says blindly is kind of silly.

F/RAND also means two different things in GSM/3G licensing in N.America/Europe than what it means in Asia. Could it be that Nokia wants NAM/Europe prices (like every NAM/European company pays) and Apple wants Asian prices? That would easily explain the conflicting statements. They would both be correct in a sense.

We'll only know if this a) ever goes to court b) isn't settled outside of court and c) documents are made public.

Regs, Jarkko

Maybe you could read and try to understand the public documents. It is illegal for a company to flat-out lie in a public document, so they tend not to do that. Instead, they spread FUD and make misleading statements. You need to be able to read for comprehension - and look for very clear statements - which apparently a lot of people are unable to do.

Apple specifically stated that they offered to pay Nokia the same fees that Nokia was charging everyone else. There's very little room for interpretation there. Apple either DID offer to pay the reasonable and non-discriminatory terms or they didn't. If they didn't, it's a flat out lie which gets them in trouble with the SEC and shareholders. Thus, it's likely that they're telling the truth.

Nokia has never stated otherwise. You will not find a single Nokia statement saying that Apple refused to pay the same licensing fees as the rest of the industry. Instead, Nokia's public statements have been that Apple has not licensed the technologies - which is NOT inconsistent with Apple's statement. If Nokia were asking for $10,000 per phone and Apple refused to pay it, then Nokia's statement would still be true.

So, the ONLY scenario which would support the view that BOTH companies are telling the truth is the one I stated - that Apple offered reasonable and non-discriminatory payments and Nokia wanted more than that. (In fact, I think Apple specifically stated that this is true).

Now, if you have evidence that Apple is lying, you'd better turn it over to law enforcement personnel. Note that I'm NOT accusing Nokia of lying - just making misleading statements.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Everyone who builds a cell phone almost certainly needs to license patents that Nokia owns.

Apple just doesn't want to pay what Nokia is asking.

A key point in Apple's counter suit is that Nokia asked for way more than what everyone else is paying. and that's against the rules.

all of this is moot anyway cause there's a guy in Texas suing them both cause he claims to have a patent on the cell phone.
  • Reply 27 of 68
    Quote:

Maybe you could read and try to understand the public documents. It is illegal for a company to flat-out lie in a public document, so they tend not to do that. Instead, they spread FUD and make misleading statements. You need to be able to read for comprehension - and look for very clear statements - which apparently a lot of people are unable to do.

Apple specifically stated that they offered to pay Nokia the same fees that Nokia was charging everyone else....

What jragosta said. With emphasis on the part about what Apple specifically stated. If I could vote and add points to your post, I would, sir (ma'am?).
  • Reply 28 of 68
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

What you're ignoring - even though it has been pointed out to you - is that Nokia is part of a consortium which requires reasonable and non-discriminatory licensing of their patents. They are asking Apple to pay a much higher fee than they charge anyone else - which is a violation of that agreement. Furthermore, they are insisting that Apple license some non-related patents - even though Apple has never agreed to reasonable and non-discriminatory licensing.

In effect, by participating in the consortium, Nokia no longer has the right to demand what they're asking.

Apple never licensed their iPhone technology to anyone and allege that HTC stole it. Apple certainly has the right to try to prove that.

I assume you meant your reply for the O.P. (Ricardo Dawkins). Otherwise you misunderstood my point (that's ok. It was kind of figurative)
  • Reply 29 of 68
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    Quote:

How many times do you need to be told?

Show me.

1) The specific patents under question (patent #s).

2) That these patents are specifically included in a consortium agreement.

3) That the consortium agreement works the way that you claim.

I doubt that you are completely right, or Apple wouldn't have responded to Nokia's patent suit with a patent countersuit that has the risk of invalidating Apple's patents.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

What are you talking about?

Nokia thinks a company has violated their patents, and is suing them.

Apple thinks a company has violated their patents, and is suing them.

Looks like a single standard to me.

Please explain?

Apple is fighting the good fight - to avoid the unlawful, despicable theft of its valuable intellectual property rights.

Nokia is a lazy whining bully using unfair tactics to bring a good company down.

Isn't that simple?
  • Reply 31 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiced View Post

Stop all the crap about suing! Nokia, for that matter some others too, look at your own creation is it up to usable, reliable and loved by your users. If not you lost the creditability. So what good if you have chest load of patents and they aren't put to good use. Go back to your labs and come clean with a game changer to better iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, then you talk about your patents.

Welcome to the forum, Spiced. I will enjoy your posts.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

A key point in Apple's counter suit is that Nokia asked for way more than what everyone else is paying. and that's against the rules.

Who's rules? Who's jurisdiction?
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Quote:

What you're ignoring - even though it has been pointed out to you - is that Nokia is part of a consortium which requires reasonable and non-discriminatory licensing of their patents. They are asking Apple to pay a much higher fee than they charge anyone else - which is a violation of that agreement. Furthermore, they are insisting that Apple license some non-related patents - even though Apple has never agreed to reasonable and non-discriminatory licensing.

In effect, by participating in the consortium, Nokia no longer has the right to demand what they're asking.

Apple never licensed their iPhone technology to anyone and allege that HTC stole it. Apple certainly has the right to try to prove that.

Is Apple part of the consortium?
  • Reply 34 of 68
    zenteczentec Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pslice View Post

I just wonder if Edison, et al, has sued the makers of those inventors/companies that have improved the light bulb.... Nokia is struggling to survive.

Actually, no. But only because his competitor used a different bulb and base in order to avoid the patent problem.

See how Tesla lit the World's Fair with bayonet based florescent bulbs.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    Quote:

So, the ONLY scenario which would support the view that BOTH companies are telling the truth is the one I stated - that Apple offered reasonable and non-discriminatory payments and Nokia wanted more than that. (In fact, I think Apple specifically stated that this is true).

How is Nokia obligated to accept Apple's offer? By contract? What contract?

If Nokia rejected Apple's offer, why did Apple use Nokia's stuff?? Shouldn't they have gotten a judgment on the contract first?
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

What rules?
  • Reply 37 of 68
    spicedspiced Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Welcome to the forum, Spiced. I will enjoy your posts.

Appreciate your welcome note . Have been reading lots of post here and not airing my views is doing injustice. A first step in posting my frustration of phone manufacturers like Nokia who needs a good beating by Apple who is new to the mobile phone but created such a game changer in just 3yrs. Cheers Apple !
  • Reply 38 of 68
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

If you can't beat 'em, sue 'em.

Alternatively, if you can't beat 'em, steal from 'em.

I've no idea how this is going to work out, but this isn't really news. The fact that there is a suit against the iPhone means iPad 3G was likely to be included as well.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Who's rules? Who's jurisdiction?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

How is Nokia obligated to accept Apple's offer? By contract? What contract?

If Nokia rejected Apple's offer, why did Apple use Nokia's stuff?? Shouldn't they have gotten a judgment on the contract first?

Nokia is part of a consortium that was set up to standardize cell phone intercompatibility. It was apparent that cell phones wouldn't work together well unless there were some standards - and a number of different companies (Motorola, Nokia, RIM, etc) all had relevant technology. They formed a consortium to allow all companies to cross-license each others' patents to help the industry move forward. As part of that consortium, they agree to license their technologies to anyone who wants them at the same reasonable and non-discriminatory rates.

Apple is not a member of the consortium, so they don't have to license their technologies. In fact, IIRC, even if they WERE a member of the consortium, they still wouldn't have to license all of their technology. The agreement says that IF YOU CHOOSE TO LICENSE A TECHNOLOGY, that you have to give everyone the same price. It doesn't require you to license any technology that you choose not to license.

There's no rule that you must be in the consortium to license the technologies, so it doesn't matter if Apple is or isn't.

Nokia agreed to the terms, but now that they're getting their rear end kicked in the market, they're trying to renege.
  • Reply 40 of 68
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spiced View Post

Appreciate your welcome note . Have been reading lots of post here and not airing my views is doing injustice. A first step in posting my frustration of phone manufacturers like Nokia who needs a good beating by Apple who is new to the mobile phone but created such a game changer in just 3yrs. Cheers Apple !

Evolution so far has shown that humans that can change as the decades roll by and adapt to current technologies and not stagnate will always be more successful than the apes that are stuck in the previous century. This would be companies like Palm/RIM/HP/Nokia/Microsoft/Dell etc etc. These subset of humans have all stagnated and can no longer learn and evolve with technology/humanity, because they lack this gene, they obviously turn to the only tactic in their mind that worked for them from the previous century, and that is to ride the tail of your superiors.

This is why those companies lack the ability to innovate, they're last centuries old aged technology/mentality/culture that is about to be phased out in favor of new tomorrow's tech.