Update for Apple's MacBook Air rumored to arrive Tuesday

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Following a refresh of its MacBook Pro line of notebooks in April, Apple could update its lightweight MacBook Air this week, with a new model expected to arrive on Tuesday.



In April, the Australian Macworld correctly reported the arrival of new MacBook Pros. The same source has come again to the Aussie publication, this time to send word of a MacBook Air refresh allegedly set to happen Tuesday.



The source said a new product will arrive Tuesday with the model MC516LL/A K87 BETTER BTR-USA. The "better" distinction reportedly means it is likely to be a Mac product, leading the tipster to suggest the refresh is a MacBook Air.



The report noted that there is "some potential" the listing could instead refer to a new 27-inch Cinema Display. But the source said there are several thousand of the product headed to Australia, "which suggests a major new product." In March, AppleInsider reported that Apple was working on a larger version of its LED Cinema Display, with a new 27-inch screen known by the identifier "K59" expected to arrive by June.



Further evidence for the MacBook Air refresh was provided by the Australian Macworld, with "whisperings" that the current model is "difficult to come by." However, the lightweight notebook, starting at $1,499 U.S., still ships within 24 hours from Apple's online store.



In January, it was suggested that the MacBook Air refresh might have seen a delay due to limited availability of Intel's Core i5 ultramobile processors. Those reports suggested Apple could adopt the ultra-thin 18W TDP processor. The Core i5-520UM has a maximum processor speed of 1.86GHz, and an integrated GPU with 500MHz of processing power. The 32nm dual-core chip also includes 3MB of L3 cache.



Apple last updated the MacBook Air in June 2009, dropping its entry price to $1,499 for a 1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-based system. Apple's full line of MacBook Pros are also based on the Core 2 Duo processor.



In April, Apple updated its MacBook Pro line of notebook computers, with the high-end systems receiving Intel's latest Core i7 and Core i5 mobile processors and new automated graphics switching technology.
«13456

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 103
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    My hopes are for a better battery, much lower heat, and maybe a design tweak? Been a long time since they pioneered the unibody design.
  • Reply 2 of 103
    matmat Posts: 1member
    A new mini with an HDMI out????
  • Reply 3 of 103
    alwayssalwayss Posts: 6member
    I wonder if they will change the bezel to black this time, so it matches the MBP line. And a little price-drop would be cool too.



    Nice tho, product updates are always nice. Especially Apple ones.
  • Reply 4 of 103
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    does this product make sense anymore with ipads entering market?
  • Reply 5 of 103
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    Will it get the one button mouse and 4gb of ram ... maybe it doesn't need that much.

    I read the L2 Cache might be 3MB on the possible update, isn't the current an L2 6MB ?
  • Reply 6 of 103
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post


    does this product make sense anymore with ipads entering market?



    Yes.



    I own an Air and ordered an iPad today. They are different beasts.
  • Reply 7 of 103
    Could you imagine. Touch screen?



    I'd have one right away. It would have Flash too - great for using todays websites.
  • Reply 8 of 103
    cedriccedric Posts: 28member
    Please no! I bought mine last week after waiting for three months hoping for it to be updated.



    @Stevetim you can't compare the MacBook Air to the iPad. One is a fully featured small computer, while the iPad... isn't. They are just used for different things.



    If you have a digital camera, there's no way to plug it into the iPad, transfer the photos and send them out. That's where you need a MBA. Also for text editing I prefer using a MBA instead of an iPad. Some applications to build websites don't work on the iPad. There is no FTP application to edit HTML on a server. How do you charge the iPhone with an iPad? And more...
  • Reply 9 of 103
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    The air has been surprisingly stale for me. Now that we have an iPad I see less and less reason for it. Macbooks are more powerful and have the same 13 inch screen, one more usb port and cost less. I'm sure air has its fans, but I think it might be killed off by the iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 103
    intenseintense Posts: 106member
    Thinking about it ... this could be Apple's BEST built Macbook Air, assuming all the experience they've gathered throughout the years of selling it .. product updates = A+ ! (I am a student)
  • Reply 11 of 103
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post


    @Stevetim you can't compare the MacBook Air to the iPad. One is a fully featured small computer, while the iPad... isn't. They are just used for different things.



    If you have a digital camera, there's no way to plug it into the iPad, transfer the photos and send them out. That's where you need a MBA. Also for text editing I prefer using a MBA instead of an iPad. Some applications to build websites don't work on the iPad. There is no FTP application to edit HTML on a server. How do you charge the iPhone with an iPad? And more...



    Actually you can transfer pictures from a camera to an ipad using the camera connection kit. Apple demonstrated this.
  • Reply 12 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post


    Please no! I bought mine last week after waiting for three months hoping for it to be updated.



    @Stevetim you can't compare the MacBook Air to the iPad. One is a fully featured small computer, while the iPad... isn't. They are just used for different things.



    If you have a digital camera, there's no way to plug it into the iPad, transfer the photos and send them out. That's where you need a MBA. Also for text editing I prefer using a MBA instead of an iPad. Some applications to build websites don't work on the iPad. There is no FTP application to edit HTML on a server. How do you charge the iPhone with an iPad? And more...



    You mean the iPad Camera Connector kit doesn't actually exist? It's the same one as the iPod Camera Connector Kit that has been around for ages. I know what you mean though, frankly, I find the 13" MacBook Pro to fit the needs that the MacBook Air filled for a period of time. If anything kills off the Air it would be the 13" Pro, it is more durable, has more connectivity, it's faster, more powerful, less expensive and has a battery that lasts twice as long as configured currently. The MacBook Air has a lighter weight and that's about it, I think it is just one of those "Gee Whiz" designs that Steve Jobs wants to hold onto for a while like the Cube was. The 13" frankly is just as easy to haul around, it has a slightly smaller footprint really.
  • Reply 13 of 103
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    The air has been surprisingly stale for me. Now that we have an iPad I see less and less reason for it. Macbooks are more powerful and have the same 13 inch screen, one more usb port and cost less. I'm sure air has its fans, but I think it might be killed off by the iPad.



    I sold my MBA to buy my iPad.
  • Reply 14 of 103
    nycmacfannycmacfan Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post


    Yes.



    I own an Air and ordered an iPad today. They are different beasts.



    I own both. Like each. But you really can use the Macbook Air as an everyday machine. Ipad is nice, but not so much.



    I have a new imac as well at work to compare with the MBA.



    The only downsides of the macbook air for me are an (a) small hard drive (pain for moving thing on and off an external drive, especially if you have a lot of movies, music, pics), (b) overheating/slowdown problems on my particular machine and (c) processor is slower - only notice when using handbrake.



    I have the external optical drive, which I've used twice.



    So presuming its not that much slower than the new MBPs and has a bigger hard drive options, I'll probably buy it. Have no idea what performance will be like.



    But curious how it will stack up against the base 13inch mbp. Hopefully its not slower and just a bit lighter.
  • Reply 15 of 103
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,786member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post


    does this product make sense anymore with ipads entering market?



    It makes no sense. The 13" MacBook Pro is far more functional for the price, and the iPad with bluetooth keyboard is more travel friendly for road warriors.



    Kill the MBA already, and use the engineering resources for something more worthwhile.
  • Reply 16 of 103
    mariomario Posts: 345member
    Somehow I just don't see the point of the Air any more. 13'' Macbook Pro is a better Macbook Air. It's got DVD, 2 USB ports, more RAM, faster CPU and it's just as small and as sturdy. It's not as light and the battery might not last as long, but those are not that important for majority of people.
  • Reply 17 of 103
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cedric View Post


    Please no! I bought mine last week after waiting for three months hoping for it to be updated.



    @Stevetim you can't compare the MacBook Air to the iPad. One is a fully featured small computer, while the iPad... isn't. They are just used for different things.



    If you have a digital camera, there's no way to plug it into the iPad, transfer the photos and send them out. That's where you need a MBA. Also for text editing I prefer using a MBA instead of an iPad. Some applications to build websites don't work on the iPad. There is no FTP application to edit HTML on a server. How do you charge the iPhone with an iPad? And more...



    Actually apple sells the dongle that allows you to tranfer the photos directly to ipad via usb.
  • Reply 18 of 103
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post


    Somehow I just don't see the point of the Air any more. 13'' Macbook Pro is a better Macbook Air. It's got DVD, 2 USB ports, more RAM, faster CPU and it's just as small and as sturdy. It's not as light and the battery might not last as long, but those are not that important for majority of people.



    I have an Air, a MBP 13" and a MBP 15". The Air is the most used of the three. The 15" has become a virtual paperweight; it's still here just in case.



    Don't want a super drive, have never needed a second USB port; I want light and compact. Can carry an Air with a Wacom tablet and still have less weight in my bag than just the 13".



    Oh, the MBP's batteries last longer.
  • Reply 19 of 103
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post


    Somehow I just don't see the point of the Air any more. 13'' Macbook Pro is a better Macbook Air. It's got DVD, 2 USB ports, more RAM, faster CPU and it's just as small and as sturdy. It's not as light and the battery might not last as long



    The battery on the 13" MBP last twice as long as on the MBA (10 h vs 5 h), though I expect any MBA refresh to up the battery life there also (but maybe only to 7 or 8 hours).
  • Reply 20 of 103
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post


    It makes no sense. The 13" MacBook Pro is far more functional for the price, and the iPad with bluetooth keyboard is more travel friendly for road warriors.



    Kill the MBA already, and use the engineering resources for something more worthwhile.



    Right, kill a perfectly good product that sells well and is liked by many because *you* personally don't like it. Do you seriously think that's how companies make business decisions?
Sign In or Register to comment.