NPD: Android phones now outsell Apple's iPhone in US

Comments

• Reply 41 of 278
    Doesn't the title say it all... Android Phones (plural) outsell the Apple iPhone (singular)... No point in even reading the article - as I did not. Why doesn't Car and Driver say, "All GM cars outsell the Honda Accord."
  • Reply 42 of 278
    igod 2.0igod 2.0 Posts: 77member
    This isn't surprising at all. The iPhone 3GS is practically at the end of the product lifecycle and given the recent leakage of the next generation iPhone, that just boosts the effect seen here in these charts. It logically doesn't make sense for anyone to purchase a 3GS with the new iPhone just around the corner. It defies common sense...
  • Reply 43 of 278
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Doesn't the title say it all... Android Phones (plural) outsell the Apple iPhone (singular)... No point in even reading the article - as I did not. Why doesn't Car and Driver say, "All GM cars outsell the Honda Accord."

A poor analogy, considering the oil companies don't have produce different types of gasoline for different brands of car; the biggest market of phones running the same OS will get the most developer attention in the end.
  • Reply 44 of 278
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Baloney.
  • Reply 45 of 278
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

iPhone OS would be open for use by other phone manufacturers Droid would not exist.

A common but mistaken notion. Google is essentially paying handset manufacturers to build Android phones, so the idea that licensing iPhone OS would somehow mean they would all pay for that rather than have Google pay them to build Android phones doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • Reply 46 of 278
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

I´ve mentioned a while ago that Apple needed to diversify it´s iPhone line like they did with the iPod.

Three versions,

1: Flip

2: Regular iPhone

3: Larger iPhone with more features, storage and connectivity

4: Buy outright and pay as you go options.

5: More carriers

Oh well, I think Steve is just grooming Apple for purchase/merger to Google anyway.

Why so they can join the race to the bottom,

The only way more Android phones were sold was to give them away, gee we saw this strategy before it faied and almost took out Motorola in the process. All this does is devalue the phone and people expect it for free.

What you will see with Android is people will drop the extra service since they could not afford the phone in the first place.

Apple is only going after that people who can afford to pay for the phone and pay for all the services that come along with it.

BTW even Motorola is not doing any new flip phones and they were the originator of that idea (grant it the idea was taken from Star Track) has abandon the idea these days
  • Reply 47 of 278
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Verizon needs the iPhone more than the iPhone needs Verizon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Apple should quit limiting their sales world to ATT if they want those numbers to change in their favor.

• Reply 48 of 278
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

yeah thats why. it doesnt have anything to do with people being sick of apples crap and the newest android phones being miles better at the same price point. couldn't be that.

No, It could not be that. Nice fantasy though.
  • Reply 49 of 278
    You have to have two lines that are eligible for a two year upgrade to get the buy one get one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

it would be interesting to know, how many people who receive a free phone then sign up for service for that phone and make a 2 year (guess) contract with the provider?

there may be lots of unused free phones sitting in the dust bins.

• Reply 50 of 278
    Good luck with that. Your phone may have the functionality and OS version needed to run any particular app. No one Android phone is the same.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

I will be dumping my iPhone and getting an Android device - the reason I have more control over what apps I can run - my choice

• Reply 51 of 278
    An entirely different business model. With entirely different pros and cons. Because Droid is open source its apps store will never equal the iPhone's.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

iPhone OS would be open for use by other phone manufacturers Droid would not exist.

• Reply 52 of 278
    alandailalandail Posts: 757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

and so history repeats itself. Apple has always said it would rather design and build a better device than be number 1 seller.

I will be dumping my iPhone and getting an Android device - the reason I have more control over what apps I can run - my choice

how does substantially less apps mean more apps?

The reason Android has surpassed iPhone in unit sales is it's available on more carriers. Apple needs to get on Verizon this year and get Verizon's marketing working for them instead of against them.
  • Reply 53 of 278
    They are only looking at smartphones. That excludes the iPod Touch and iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Are they taking into account iPhone OS running on iPads recently? that device will only serve to boost iPhone OS market share that should eclipse the Android OS.

• Reply 54 of 278
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    In other news, Firefox downloads outnumber Mac sales...
  • Reply 55 of 278
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    "Sales of the Droid, Droid Eris and BlackBerry Curve helped kept Verizon..."

??? Come on guys! Very unprofessional! You need to proofread.
  • Reply 56 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Verizon needs the iPhone more than the iPhone needs Verizon.

True. I can't begin to tell you how many Verizon users I know that can't wait for the iPhone to come to their carrier.

I realize that's not a valid sampling, but there most be a lot of folks on Verizon wanting the iPhone.
  • Reply 57 of 278
    etsleeetslee Posts: 18member
    I don't find the numbers all that surprising, but I still don't see them around in the Bay area. All my friends have iphones, and a few have blackberries and dumbphones.
  • Reply 58 of 278
    iPhone makes more money than all the Android phones put together. Apple isn't concerned about unit sales. They are more concerned about providing the best end user experience.

I don't know Verizon's marketing may be helping to sell more iPhones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

The reason Android has surpassed iPhone in unit sales is it's available on more carriers. Apple needs to get on Verizon this year and get Verizon's marketing working for them instead of against them.

• Reply 59 of 278
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    On one hand, congratulations to google on its success.

On the other, the current iPhone is at the end of its lifecycle and both AT&T's service and the U.S. GSM network are beyond terrible. One could make an argument for getting second best to get Verizon's more expansive network.
  • Reply 60 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by etslee View Post

I don't find the numbers all that surprising, but I still don't see them around in the Bay area. All my friends have iphones, and a few have blackberries and dumbphones.

When my girlfriend flew out to see me in February (I'm in the DC area), she was pointing out to me all the people who were using iPhone. Frankly, it surprised and shocked me at how prevalent the iPhone is in my neck of the woods.