Verizon advertising partner rumored to be working on iPhone campaign

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cxc273 View Post


    Why on earth would Verizon need an ad agency to do an iPhone promo? I mean, seriously, all they need to do is put up signs that say "Verizon + iPhone." That's it. Hell, they can have kids do in crayon and construction paper and people are going to come flocking in for it. But an ad campaign? It's like marketing water to desert dwellers.



    You underestimate the quality of phones Verizon has now, and you're just being silly. Of course they're going to have their own marketing company produce in-house materials, circulars, etc, just like AT&T does.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    How about the contract issue is as simple as a 5 year deal with the first 3 being exclusive?



    Seems the obvious to me.
  • Reply 43 of 92
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post


    I truly believe that people who have a vested ($) interest in Verizon (read employees and shareholders) are the ones who keep creating and spreading these rumors. Their goal is simple: delay the exodus of more and more customers to AT&T until Verizon gets the iPhone in 2012 (or when their LTE has a big enough footprint in 2013-2014). Apple will never create a CDMA iPhone....CDMA is slow, has no future......which is why Verizon will be forced to support parallel networks for many years to come. At least with T-Mobile and AT&T, LTE is an 'upgrade' to the current network.



    Don't get me wrong, I like competition. However, Verizon can not compete: High termination fees ($350), no concurrent voice/data, slow speeds (CDMA).



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by briandouglas View Post


    Verizon wishes they were getting an iphone this summer, but think about it really....would Apple waste it's time and money developing an iphone to run on a network that is out dated. Also, would they develope an iphone to run on a network that the carrier is switching away from? NOOOOOO!!!! I agree, i believe it's the poor share holders spreading these rumors, it's all they have. Also why would Apple give it's Ipad data over to AT&T? No it's not a mercy call, but proof that if Verizon was truely getting an iphone, the Ipad wouldn't be tied to the partner Apple just left, think about it. Plus didn't we all read the article that stated that in 2007 Apple and AT&T have an exclusive till 2012, so with that news, it just all seems to be nothing more than just verizon's wishful thinking at this point. Going forward, if i was Verizon, when some new technology comes out and they are approached with it, i'd just give in and give them what they wanted, i mean after all, wouldn't want another botched iphone miss....sorry, but can you guys hear me now?



    You guys crack me up!



    Every technical "issue" anyone would make for not having a CDMA iPhone are trivial at, best. By many of these arguments, why would anyone bother making a CDMA cell phone these days? For that matter, Apple should just stop selling the 3GS right now, too. After all, it won't magically get any faster on an LTE network (just like a CDMA phone won't get any faster when Verizon deploys LTE). I guess Motorola, Nokia, Sony, and all the rest should just stop making cell phones for Verizon now because they'll all be obsolete when Verizon throws the LTE switch. Brilliant!! (But I'm glad you aren't in charge of strategy for my company.)



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post


    Don't forget Verizon demands crippled versions of cell phones from manufacturers.



    I once sat down with a friend to pick a Verizon phone that would be best for sync'ing with his Mac.



    EVERY one of their phones didn't support the open standard sync'ing even when other phones made by the same manufacturer DID support the standards.



    Hm, odd. My Verizon phone syncs my contacts via iSync just fine. I guess I got a defective phone.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    1. No proof that the contract was amended.



    2. Apple keeps all ads in house on their products. Even the iphone. No way would they let Verizon do anything like this



    3. they turned down a CDMA phone for China etc. Despite that standard being well over half the market in that area



    4. the talk of a dual CDMA/GSM chipset which started last summer has disappeared.



    5. no claims from Foxcomn etc that they are making said CDMA phone.



    6. there is no US law requiring a company to have a limit on an exclusive contract or to unlock a device at any point. nor a law requiring a company to support both tech.



    yeah, we are getting a Verizon iphone this year. it's 100% a done deal.



    2. Not true. ATT has their own ads featuring the iPhone.



    3. But note that Apple has demonstrated a willingness to make non-standard versions of the iPhone. They still make the 3G, even after the 3GS became the standard, and they did make a wifi-less version for the Chinese market. Verizon represents an equal customer base as ATT. ATT represents roughly 1/3-1/2 of the worldwide iPhone sales. Having a Verizon iPhone therefore represents a potential 1/3+ increase in sales. Nothing to sneeze at.



    4. I actually would take that as a sign that Apple IS working on such an iPhone. Classic Apple to shut down all information flow if they are working on a new product. "We'll buy XXX million of your chips if you keep it quiet."





    5. Is there a claim they are working setting up production for a 4G iPhone?



    DISCLAIMER: I'm in no way saying that Apple will make a CDMA iPhone. Just pointing out that practically every argument against it is full of just as many holes as arguments for it.



    PS: If you are an ATT iPhone user, you should be BEGGING for a Verizon iPhone. It would slow the degradation of your network performance if the load can be shared with another carrier.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,247member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post


    ...If the furor against ATT's service I've been reading and hearing about in the last few months is any indication....it sounds like a lot of people would, indeed, 'jump ship!'



    Not me. Unlike those "disgruntled" AT&T customers, I can't complain at all about my service (though yes, it could be a little bit less expensive). I'll be staying put with AT&T and I imagine that things will improve in the NYC and SFO areas (and other congested areas as well) once those unhappy with AT&T switch to Verizon.
  • Reply 45 of 92
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,099member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Personally, I think this is the only reason for a Verizon phone if one happens. There is no reason from the point of view of sales, profitability or technology to do a CDMA phone, but at the same time, it would be an easy thing to do.



    If Verizon had an iPhone available (especially the cool techie 4.0 version coming out), Android sales at Verizon would plummet. That's the only reason to do it. A minor investment of time and money, and the return is a torpedo directed midship, at Android.



    World-wide, Apple's sales are soaring far above Android and they don't need Verizon at all so who knows, but IMO if they do it, the only reason is to destroy Android sales in the US.



    Well said!
  • Reply 46 of 92
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 4,313member
    What they are working on is ads for the competitor product, its not the iphone.
  • Reply 47 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post


    Good point. The success of the Droid may make Apple rethink their Verizon position. Who the hell knows!



    I'm not sure that is a valid reason for Apple to push a CDMA iPhone. If it was just about marketshare they would have come out with multiple versions a long time ago and never used exclusivity in countries after it was known to be successful. They also would have made the iPad work on T-Mobile with a very simple addition.



    Apple's already taking the lion's share of profits from the handset market, the lion's share of revenue and profits from the smartphone market, and has never licensed it's Mac OS X to other vendors so it's clear that profit, not marketshare are important to them.



    They are not in jeopardy of losing their iPhone OS and App Store ecosystem so whatever the Droid is doing is not affecting Apple or its customers negatively.



    PS: This never gets discussed but we read about a shortage of NAND all the time, that Apple is buying most of it and yet they still can't NAND fast enough for their products. With the iPhone popularity still growing with its current carriers maybe it's impossible for Apple to create an iPhone for Verizon's near 100 million subs. If you only have a finite number of chips for a finite number of phones you aren't going to make any more money if you they are still going to be sold out in the same amount of time.
  • Reply 48 of 92
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,099member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    Not me. Unlike those "disgruntled" AT&T customers, I can't complain at all about my service (though yes, it could be a little bit less expensive). I'll be staying put with AT&T and I imagine that things will improve in the NYC and SFO areas (and other congested areas as well) once those unhappy with AT&T switch to Verizon.



    Me too. All things being equal...I would stay with ATT too. Unless, I choose to go with a dumb phone and an iPad 3g. But even then I think Verizon would be my last choice!



    I just think $110/mo for my 3Gs and an additional $30/mo for an iPad 3G just too much. But that's just me.



    Screw it, I'm just going to go back to a yellow legal pad like my Dad used 20 years ago!
  • Reply 49 of 92
    mudpudmudpud Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Personally, I think this is the only reason for a Verizon phone if one happens. There is no reason from the point of view of sales, profitability or technology to do a CDMA phone, but at the same time, it would be an easy thing to do.



    If Verizon had an iPhone available (especially the cool techie 4.0 version coming out), Android sales at Verizon would plummet. That's the only reason to do it. A minor investment of time and money, and the return is a torpedo directed midship, at Android.



    World-wide, Apple's sales are soaring far above Android and they don't need Verizon at all so who knows, but IMO if they do it, the only reason is to destroy Android sales in the US.



    We'll see about that. I'm a huge Apple fan boy, I love my MBP, but I'm not so sure I want an iPhone any longer. Not with all the restrictions! Up until a month ago, I was convinced I wanted one and I was willing to wait a few more years/ months, but I no longer want one. And I'm not the only one.



    Everyone has the iPhone now - so the popularity factor is working against it, at least with a subsegment of the audience. Have the "Google phone" is the new IT thing!
  • Reply 50 of 92
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,099member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I'm not sure that is a valid reason for Apple to push a CDMA iPhone. If it was just about marketshare they would have come out with multiple versions a long time ago and never used exclusivity in countries after it was known to be successful. They also would have made the iPad work on T-Mobile with a very simple addition.



    Apple's already taking the lion's share of profits from the handset market, the lion's share of revenue and profits from the smartphone market, and has never licensed it's Mac OS X to other vendors so it's clear that profit, not marketshare are important to them.



    They are not in jeopardy of losing their iPhone OS and App Store ecosystem so whatever the Droid is doing is not affecting Apple or its customers negatively.



    PS: This never gets discussed but we read about a shortage of NAND all the time, that Apple is buying most of it and yet they still can't NAND fast enough for their products. With the iPhone popularity still growing with its current carriers maybe it's impossible for Apple to create an iPhone for Verizon's near 100 million subs. If you only have a finite number of chips for a finite number of phones you aren't going to make any more money if you they are still going to be sold out in the same amount of time.



    Good points...I was thinking Droid's success would have an effect on Steve Jobs' psyche...I'm sure he's still 'bent' about Schmidt/Google going into the phone business!
  • Reply 51 of 92
    ivladivlad Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudpud View Post


    too little too late - from both Apple & VZW. This is now "end of the summer, maybe" kind of situation. Android's the platform of the future



    HTC DROID INCREDIBLE with GOOGLE



    LOL! Android is not the future. Google's takeover of the world is.
  • Reply 52 of 92
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post


    How about the contract issue is as simple as a 5 year deal with the first 3 being exclusive?



    Seems the obvious to me.



    Probably the smartest comment I've read regarding the Engadget story in the past two days. I didn't even think of that.
  • Reply 53 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post


    Me too. All things being equal...I would stay with ATT too. Unless, I choose to go with a dumb phone and an iPad 3g. But even then I think Verizon would be my last choice!



    I just think $110/mo for my 3Gs and an additional $30/mo for an iPad 3G just too much. But that's just me.



    Screw it, I'm just going to go back to a yellow legal pad like my Dad used 20 years ago!



    Your dad had a yellow legal pad!!

    Back in my day we had a stick and dirt to draw with. And we were happy.

    I'd have given my best plow mule for a yellow legal pad.

    Kids these days.
  • Reply 54 of 92
    predragpredrag Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post


    Your dad had a yellow legal pad!!

    Back in my day we had a stick and dirt to draw with. And we were happy.

    I'd have given my best plow mule for a yellow legal pad.

    Kids these days.



    You may be going way too far back, but I have several living relatives who used wooden black tablets and chalk to learn to write in school. No yellow pads back then (or any other kinds of notebooks). Of course, this was in the countryside; city kids did have notebooks at that time (this was before 2nd World War).
  • Reply 55 of 92
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    I hope they finally do release the iPhone in for Verizon.



    I have no problems with AT&T as they provide Excellent service in my area.

    No Drop Calls ,and Faster Network speed then VZW
  • Reply 56 of 92
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    PS: If you are an ATT iPhone user, you should be BEGGING for a Verizon iPhone. It would slow the degradation of your network performance if the load can be shared with another carrier.



    I might break the plus key on my keyboard over this comment.



    This potentially good news for everyone but ATT.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    Every technical "issue" anyone would make for not having a CDMA iPhone are trivial at, best.



    Not true. CDMA won't allow you to browse the web while you talk on the phone. For some people that may not matter, but for others, it's very important.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mudpud View Post


    We'll see about that. I'm a huge Apple fan boy, I love my MBP, but I'm not so sure I want an iPhone any longer. Not with all the restrictions!



    What restrictions that matter?



    Sure, they restrict you from running unapproved apps, but many of those don't do anything that the phone won't already do. Other restrictions are the limitation on multiasking of 3rd party apps (which restriction will be gone soon, anyway), but I'm still waiting for someone to explain something you'd need that for that the phone won't already do.



    Most of the people whining about restrictions are being pedantic, mostly for 'attack Apple' reasons. For example, you can easily listen to music using iTunes to browse the web. For those complainers, it's somehow the end of the world that you can't use Pandora (yet) to listen to music to browse the web. Sorry, but that's not a significant restriction in my view.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Personally, I think this is the only reason for a Verizon phone if one happens. There is no reason from the point of view of sales, profitability or technology to do a CDMA phone, but at the same time, it would be an easy thing to do.



    Depends on what you mean by 'easy'. They'd need to source CDMA chips, redesign the mother board, get FCC approvals, make some software changes), get manufacturing geared up for multiple product lines, support multiple product lines, and so on. Those costs could easily be in the millions of dollars.



    Then, add in the fact that the contract is worth less to AT&T if it's not exclusive, so AT&T might pay less per phone for a non-exclusive agreement, so there would be hundreds of millions of dollars in lost revenue.



    I don't have the market research information nor do I have the contractual agreements that would allow me to say whether it's worthwhile, but Apple clearly does not think that it would pay to have a CDMA phone at this time.
  • Reply 58 of 92
    I have been wanting to upgrade my iTouch to an iPhone. Hopefully, this umpteenth rumor is true.
  • Reply 59 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Predrag View Post


    You may be going way too far back, but I have several living relatives who used wooden black tablets and chalk to learn to write in school. No yellow pads back then (or any other kinds of notebooks). Of course, this was in the countryside; city kids did have notebooks at that time (this was before 2nd World War).



    Years ago I met some great aunts that lived through the depression. Now those were some tough broads.

    Ok, I remember my dad using legal pads too, maybe 35 yrs ago. The atari 2600 had just come out, good times.
  • Reply 60 of 92
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,099member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post


    Your dad had a yellow legal pad!!

    Back in my day we had a stick and dirt to draw with. And we were happy.

    I'd have given my best plow mule for a yellow legal pad.

    Kids these days.



    Next you'll be telling me 'horses sleep standing up!
Sign In or Register to comment.