Verizon marketing exec rumored to be working on iPhone campaign

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yeah maybe someday Apple will realize there's an opportunity. All these idiots on these boards know it, but all the MBAs spinning gold at Apple headquarters haven't figured it out yet.

Of course, Apple knows there is an opportunity. But do you know Apple's strategic plan? Do you know what opportunities Apple would have to give up to partner with VZW?

It always amazes me, that after watching Jobs/Cook/Schiller perform for the last ten years, that bloggers and commenters presume to know more about how to run the Apple business than the Apple A-team. That team has studied more smartphone sales and marketing data, more technology roadmap data, and more product cost data than anyone who has time to spend on this board.

Note: I actually think the VZW iPhone is coming this year - don't know when between June and October.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    More likely this is a Verizon exec working on an ad campaign for a Verizon-Google tablet.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    They aired it for months before Christmas. It's the ANTI iPhone campaign. Too late to be leaking that, ain't it? So yeah... the misfit toy is coming... the misfit toy is coming!
  • Reply 24 of 29
    commun5commun5 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

The subsidy amount is not what stopped a deal between Apple and VZW in 2006, as there was no subsidy in the original 2007 iPhone pricing and AT&T contract.

It was control over the handset (iTunes Store, no carrier deck, no Verizon branding), activation, marketing, repairs/servicing, sales/distribution channel, and sharing of data fee.

Money is fungible. Everything you mention either could be settled with money offsets or involves one side or the other getting a larger share of the overall revenue stream. And if the subsidy wasn't a concern for iPhone v1, it would be now.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I will say it again, its a competitor's product.

Just like all the hype last year that the iphone was coming to VZ it was really the droid, the morons with the rumors gets bits and pieces of information and jump to the conclusion that it must be the iphone.

All this work going on at VZ and its ad company is for a competitor product which is their next big offering in the smart phone race.

Also, do you not think that competitors to Apple are not working on a Ipad type products too...

I also, say the Apple and VZ will not do business until VZ changes its business model right now the two companies are incompatible.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    This is so hilarious!

If this was a big, "top secret" project, it sure as hell ain't anymore!
  • Reply 27 of 29
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    iphone carriers in the US:

imo Apple need to allow other carriers to have iphone/ipad in the US. The fact is if a carrier is doing great (like verizon), they will push non apple products which hurts Apple iphone sales. They need to make the US iphone go on all carriers.

Apple running all iphone ads... not in canada

Aboud iphone ads, in Canada I see Bell and Rogers run iphone ads all the time. My iphone carrier is Telus, but its currently pushing Android phones a lot.

Network reliability: is AT&T realy that bad...

Since in Canada we have iphone on all 3G networks, I can tell you the problem is not with the carriers, its with the iphone. ALL the people I know with iphones have this problem: The cell connection drops with no warning and to top if off, sometimes the service dont come back and we get a "no service" message even if we are in FULL signal strenth area. The workaround is to put the phone airplane mode on/off to force a network scan. Sometimes I need to do this twice. This is happening on all canadian carriers, so the problem is the phone... Maybe Apple doesnt want the US to realize the cell part of the iphone is bug and have users blame AT&T instead. Well I hope the new 4G phone will solve this.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Lets remember folks...

Apple doesn't let ANYONE do ANY advertising for the iPhone.

Don't believe me?

1 - Find an AT&T comercial that SPOTLIGHTS the iPhone...

2 - How about an AT&T commercial that SPEAKS the word iPhone, even just in passing.

3 - Find iPhone in the fine print of AT&T ADs.. I haven't the eyes to read that stuff quick enough but you might get lucky... maybe

I remember watching one with the Wilson brother. Where they replace everyone's iPhone with other phones, and they won't say iPhone, but everyone just says, "Hey where'd my COOL PHONE go?!?!"

I made mention of that while watching it.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HamNCheese View Post

What difference does LTE (or WiMax for that matter) make... CDMA technology is one thing, but no international carrier wants anything to do with LTE. HSPA+ gets them much more of the global market, and (as tmo has shown) it overlays quite well on top of existing GSM based technology.

You have this almost exactly backwards. Some of CDMA's biggest adopters (Verizon and China Mobile) are already working on moving to LTE, and many other carriers are following suit.

LTE will be a more universal mobile standard than has been seen since the popularization of mobile service.