Apple A4 processor in iPhone prototype has 256MB RAM

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

No one is saying it's not possible, but it's not consistent. I can have 8 Safari pages on the 3GS open and this has never happened. I can have a 2nd page on the iPad and this happens. Try opening up the 9 pages to rich sites, like NYTimes et al. and see if you can switch between them and leave Safari to use other apps without Safari pages reloading when you go back in. I couldn't.

You can see from Mazda 3s' comment that I am not the only one who has experienced this.

Now jump ahead a few months to iPhone OS v4.0 for the iPad with multitasking in full effect. Unless they alter the software to cache and/or be more RAM efficient this problem will be increase over the next year.

Ahh... I tried several full-featured sites and see what you mean!

Now I have 2 options I'd like to see:

1) enlarge and reflow content without changing page width

2) be able to tap and save an open web page, as-is, and to return to it

I think I'll make a couple of fester requests

Except Apple may not know what a "fester" request is!

• Reply 42 of 86
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Just sell the damn thing already. Cash in hand here.
  • Reply 43 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

Wait, you mean there's no actual tabs feature on the iPad? That is such a deal breaker for me. I literally have twelve tabs open right now.

Mobile Safari has pages just like the iPhone, though they are accessed a little differently than the iPhone.

If you specifically want tabs there are at least a few iPad browsers on the App Store that offer that specific feature. Hopefully, Apple will allow that as an option as it fits well with the iPad's size and is more efficient than the Page option.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member

Six reports from the same tech forum is hardly evidence of a widespread or widely accepted problem.

Just sayin.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Six reports from the same tech forum is hardly evidence of a widespread or widely accepted problem.

Just sayin.

OK, Apple's own discussion forums

Argh! Any way to get safari to stop refreshing pages for no reason?

How to stop page refreshing?
  • Reply 46 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Just sayin.

You make a good point, but he did first post Gruber's comment and you have my comment on it so wrapping up the MR posts as a single source we now have three.

Doing a Google search for "iPad safari annoying" brings up more than enough hits. Here are couple more:
    Multitasking will make this issue more pronounced and having more RAM would lessen this issue. That said, this is unlike other HW and SW issues in that affect only a handful of users since it's a usage pattern issue. So while this is an unbearable problem for my needs, this is not a deal-breaker for the 8 people I know with iPads, mostly on my recommendations even though I retruned mine.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Turning off Java disables auto refresh in Safari on iPad. 'Problem' solved.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevegmu View Post

Turning off Java disables auto refresh in Safari on iPad. 'Problem' solved.

Mobile Safari doesn't support Java and turning off Javascript would make it even more unbearable.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    Quote:

Mobile Safari doesn't support Java and turning off Javascript would make it even more unbearable.

Really?

Those who actually have an iPad, go to Settings, Safari. Javascript setting is at the top of the 5th column. Click off.
  • Reply 50 of 86
    Quote:

Really?

Those who actually have an iPad, go to Settings, Safari. Javascript setting is at the top of the 5th column. Click off.

What are you saying "Really?" to?
  • Reply 51 of 86
    fishbertfishbert Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iFixit got an extremely close look at the A4 soon after the iPad launched in April, when they, along with Chipworks, X-rayed and dismantled the chip based on the ARM architecture.

No, they didn't... they dismantled and cross-sectioned the iPhone's processor, not the iPad's A4.

This is widely mis-reported, but is plain as day to anyone who reads the actual article from iFixit.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishbert View Post

No, they didn't... they dismantled and cross-sectioned the iPhone's processor, not the iPad's A4.

This is widely mis-reported, but is plain as day to anyone who reads the actual article from iFixit.

How would dismantling the 3GS tell them what is in the iPad?

Is Chipworks lying?
    "What we found was an APL0398 chip, presumably the next-generation processor from the APL0298 that we found in the iPhone 3GS."

SEM Cross-Section of Apple APL0398
    http://www.chipworks.com/Apple-iPAD-Teardown.aspx
  • Reply 53 of 86
    Quote:

What are you saying "Really?" to?

IPhone clearly has Javascript, hence it can be disabled.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    Quote:

IPhone clearly has Javascript, hence it can be disabled.

Yes, I said as much. You stated clearly that supports Java, which it doesn't. I then followed up that disabling JS would not make for a good web experience.
  • Reply 55 of 86
    Quote:

Yes, I said as much. You stated clearly that supports Java, which it doesn't. I then followed up that disabling JS would not make for a good web experience.

Being a discussion of the iPad, I assumed all would understand Java to be short for Javascript. On the rare occasion one would have to have 9 windows open for multiple copy and pasting, disabling Javascript would prevent the pages from refreshing.

I routinely browse with Javascript turned off. What's the problem, other than ads being disabled?
  • Reply 56 of 86
    Quote:

Being a discussion of the iPad, I assumed all would understand Java to be short for Javascript. On the rare occasion one would have to have 9 windows open for multiple copy and pasting, disabling Javascript would prevent the pages from refreshing.

I routinely browse with Javascript turned off. What's the problem, other than ads being disabled?

1) It's not uncommon for people to not know the difference between Java and JS or that iPhone OS doesn't suppose Java.

2) If JS was only used for ads it wouldn't be an issue, but it's used widely and it's use is growing.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    nollchrnollchr Posts: 2member
    I hope it's running at full 1 GHz and not underclocked to save more power. I would assume full 1 GHz since that seems to be the new baseline smart phone standard..
  • Reply 58 of 86
    Quote:

1) It's not uncommon for people to not know the difference between Java and JS or that iPhone OS doesn't suppose Java.

2) If JS was only used for ads it wouldn't be an issue, but it's used widely and it's use is growing.

Oh, I know the difference. Being an Apple site and discussion of iPhone OS, I used java as short for JS, as I have seen on here and other Applecentric sites.

Yes, but in the scenario posed- auto refreshing in Safari, temporarily turning off JS would be the best solution.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    Speaking of tabbed browsing, solipsism, have you tried Atomic Browser?

Fast as all get out, caches multiple pages, instant switching between tabs with no page refresh, auto full screen mode, other great features. Right now I am playing a video at nytimes.com, have googlenews, thenewyorker, and three or four other sites open and can jump back and forth between tabs without losing my place while I type this.

Just needs to keep imported bookmarks as default set, rather than as a subset, and it would be perfect.

Still the best buck I have ever spent on iTunes, or anywhere for that matter.

If you try it I guaranty you will be wanting that iPad back toots sweet.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 863member
    So now that we know the A4 chip and ram are the same as the IPAD will the battery life be as good as the IPAD?????