Pegatron reportedly wins Apple contract for CDMA iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quash View Post

No T-mobile? This is Sacrilege!

from what I understand adjusting for T-Mobile would be a lot easier than going CDMA so it seems like we'd have strong rumors that way first.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Why would Apple use a new company and not the tried and tested? Color me not convinced.

that's actually the one logical part of the rumor. Apple is having trouble keeping up with the ipad orders according to all reports. Adding iphones to the mix, especially two different models, would be very not pretty. so bring in another company to share the load. Just like they do with the computers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Apple has almost reached most of the GSM carriers worldwide. The technology is there to develop iPhones for other "telecommunication systems", notably those using variants of the CDMA. If true, it is possible that such an iPhone may either be for Verizon or possibly for China Mobile.

if Apple was not opposed to making a CDMA phone for China why didn't they do it from the start (as CDMA is way bigger in China than GSM). Why release a GSM phone with China's smallest company only to release CDMA months later.

Quote:

Another issue, GSM is more widespread worldwide than the CDMA. This may be resolved when the converging upgrade technologies that will be used by both AT&T and Verizon in the near future.

without a doubt. although "near" in this case won't be for another year or two. right in time for the 5 years to be up.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    dayrobotdayrobot Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

[snip]

without a doubt. although "near" in this case won't be for another year or two. right in time for the 5 years to be up.

[/snip]

It'll most likely be just another feature upgrade, since LTE is only a data standard at this point...

Verizon is the one that really needs it, since with CDMA, you can't talk and use data at the same time

The first iPhones were EDGE-only, then there's 3G, next would be 3G+LTE...and in 8 or 10 years, LTE-only, with no fallback... i mean it took years to get to the point that analog transmitters could be safely taken down. My phone from back in '04 still had the analog radio mode, which was the only thing available in very rural areas...

Dan
  • Reply 43 of 61
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexhasfun28 View Post

FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME! there is NOT going to be a CDMA iPhone! It's already proven.

Why do all the prototypes have a SIM tray?

Why does Apple and AT&T have a court document stating their exclusivity to end in 2012?

Why did Apple launch the iPad 3G+Wi-Fi with at&t's 3G network?

Why does Apple praise AT&T sooooo MUCH!

why are you guys still going around, wasting your time, doing these false rumors? they're annoying!

Because it pisses you off? Isn't that reason enough?
  • Reply 44 of 61
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Smells fishy.

No CDMA engineering hiring surge at Apple.

How do you know that they don't already have some employed?
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexhasfun28 View Post

Why do all the prototypes have a SIM tray?

How do you know it is a SIM tray? Maybe it is a R-UIM tray?
  • Reply 46 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DayRobot View Post

Verizon is the one that really needs it, since with CDMA, you can't talk and use data at the same time

As has been stated a number of times, you can use data and voice with EVDO Rev B, if Verizon upgraded they would support it.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,787member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Pegatron is not a new company. Read the article again. They are the OEM manufacturing arm of what used to be Asustek, which has been around for 20 years. I've built several PCs for friends using Asus motherboards and have been very impressed with their quality, design and features. I've also seen their CPU coolers (although I always spec Cooler Master for all the custom builds I do), DVD burners and netbooks. All quite solid. My own Hackintosh runs an Asus graphics card. Their manufacturing abilities are much better than you assume from your position of ignorance.

I mean new to Apple. Please, a little less with the name calling when you were simply misunderstanding what I said, that is a sign of ignorance if ever I saw it. Plus I said I am not convinced not that I totally don't believe. As someone deep in AAPL I would love to see them sell into new markets.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Apple will go CDMA, because the must to stem the Android tide.

Verison moving to LTE, is a non-factor. Like Telus/Bell in Canada, they will continue to run CDMA for sometime after making the switch and Apple will be in position to not miss a beat and switch the CDMA product to LTE.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

CDMA is dead technology. There will never be a CDMA iphone.

160 million customers between Verizon, Sprint, and a couple smaller companies disagree.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHKOsta View Post

I don't buy it either. With Verizon rolling out LTE so soon, this makes little business sense for Apple.

You think GSM and CDMA are just going to be shut off in a year when LTE opens for business!!?

Get a frigging clue. Apple could probably nab half of Verizon's customers in one year, all of which will be on TWO YEAR CONTRACTS.

Good way to build up a reputation and confidence, before the LTE story comes around.

It will be 5 years at least before "all" iPhone customers are on LTE instead of GSM or CDMA.

Get. A. Clue.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

160 million customers between Verizon, Sprint, and a couple smaller companies disagree.

Totally, huge untapped market. All of whom have no idea what kind of network they're on, and have no idea something better is coming, and don't care either.

If Apple did this, it would be huge, it would sell like an f'ing monster. In year or so, when LTE rolls out, Apple will do that TOO. Not instead, but TOO. Then as it covers more ground, more people will make the upgrade from 3G to 4G.

There is not one reasonable, or even close to sensible, argument against making a CDMA phone even now. Not One. They should do it, and I bet they will.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

if Apple was not opposed to making a CDMA phone for China why didn't they do it from the start (as CDMA is way bigger in China than GSM). Why release a GSM phone with China's smallest company only to release CDMA months later.

Steve Jobs, and by extension, Apple, pays great priority about "Control" not only so that Apple can do as it pleases with how Apple expects its customer shall experience every Apple product sells to the public. That is one reason why, under Steve Jobs, Apple never licensed the Mac OS, including OS X, and more than likely the iPhone OS. One of the first few things that Steve Jobs did when he came back to Apple in 1997 was to cancel the short-lived licensing of the Apple OS instituted briefly while he was in exile. It was also the reason why it spent money to sue the company that sold non-Apple product but using Apple's OS X.

Control (with intent to provide the target customers the "best experience") is the reason why Apple is refining its vertically integrated ecosystem.

Verizon, when first approached by Apple to have exclusive deal for the iPhone, attempted to impose too many rules, for the iPhone to be acceptable in Verizon's own "walled garden".

Steve Jobs (Apple) walked away from that deal. Instead, Apple decided to deal with a less well known Baby Bell at the time, Cingular, because the CEO, respected Steve Jobs and accepted all of SJ's conditions without even any iPhone prototype to demo. The iPhone was still a concept about two or three years before the iPhone was finally introduced in early 2007. It was a high risk gamble that the CEO was so proud of, and gloated about when Cingular (that became AT&T after the merger) finally unveiled the iPhone as an exclusive vendor.

Apple actually acknowledged in the past few years that it was again in negotiation with Verizon. That answers your question. My impression is that all the major telephone manufacturers, do produce phones that are tailored for GSM or CDMA, and make profit. That answers the technical issue.

Why then is there still no Verizon iPhone? If I had to speculate, it is still about control, and more than likely, about subsidy.

Now, to the Chinese arena. As an Asian, but not Chinese, I was born and raised in a country, where the elite and the merchants include many Chinese clans. In fact, the richest man in our country today is Chinese by ancestry. While they may be Chinese by ancestry, the succeeding generations usually adopt the country of their birth, much like Chinese Americans do, even if they are culturally very much tied much with their historical heritage.

With that as a background, Chinese business people are very astute and very determined. The Olympics in China is a very good demonstrated on what they could and would do to achieve their goal.

If you are on their way, you might get trampled. However, if you become an ally, you may prosper with them. From actual experiences of my own family and other relatives, Chinese business people are not greedy. In fact, they are very fair. They will even extend all sorts of loans and help even without any collateral, once they trust you. All first hand experience not only in my family as well as other relatives. You would even be amazed how they would loan to very poor people. And if these poor encounter any difficulties, e.g., farmers having lost their harvest due to flooding or drought, they would still continue lending to this poor people.

Imagine Western banks doing that.

How does all this relate to China Mobile? One thing, they know their strength, and have determined vision on how the telecom industry should be run in China -- under local control.

In fact, almost all Western companies that did business in China bowed to the demands of the Chinese.

China Mobile demanded that Apple revise the iPhone to adapt the Chinese version of CDMA so that it woould not pay royalties to Qualcom (???). It would not be a priority to Apple at the time since the iPhone was still new. If my memory serves me, I believe China Mobile did not want to enter into a "revenue sharing" also, akin to the early deals of Apple with other carriers, like AT&T.

That were not the main stumbling blocks however. I believe they were able to come to an agreement on those issues. The main stumbling block was control of the Apple Apps. China Mobile wants to operate its own Apps.

China Mobile however met its equal in Steve Jobs, when it comes to "Control".

Steve Jobs walk away.

As it turned out, it was a very good decision, because the Apple Apps is what made iPhone as popular as Apple never imagined. Now, the Apple Apps with its hundreds of thousands of supporting developers is one the main strengths of the iPhone over any other smartphones.

Note that Steve Jobs could walk away from China Mobile because it had alternatives. And, it did so only when this alternative accepted the non-negotiable demand of Steve Jobs tha Apple that has exclusive control of the Apple Apps store. As important, it does not have to alter the GSM iPhone, except to disable the wifi. [Which by the way may be lifted soon, if the recent news were accurate.]

While Apple walked out, it did not actually sever all negotiations with China Mobile. The carrier is just to big for Apple to ignore completely.

What changed since then?

At the time Apple and Google were so thick. Then came Android, and the eventual breakup of Apple and Google. As much as some zealot fans of Apple would like to believe, the Android with Google's backing is a very formidable force, not because it is "open source". In fact, the Apple OS X, is also based largely from "open source", and by extension, so if the iPhone OS.

Just like Apple though, Google has forked the Android to a variant that led to Nexus One. Sure many of people laugh at Nexus One now, or some other Android variants. But that was how many Japanese companies were once treated. Now Japanese technology is at the forefront, and so do Chinese (and Taiwanese) technologies these days, and other Asian tigers, like those from South Korea.

RIMM turned out to be another formidable competition. In fact, it is still outselling the iPhone. At some point, the the technology and ecosystem of Android, RIMM and perhaps HP/Palm would mature to be good alternatives to the iPhone.

If history is to be a guide, the best technology may not always become the standard. especially so if there is another gatekeeper, phone companies.

Both Verizon, and more so China Mobile, and other non-GSM carriers in other countries are still very huge markets. Apple cannot just cede them to the other phone systems, especially Android.

It is a "landgrab" strategy. If you did not set stake, you lose claim to the territory.

What else have changed? Verizon realized how the iPhone has siphoned some of its customers to become AT&T customers. China Mobile also realized the inroads being made by the iPhone carrier. Both carriers now are seeing the light, and may be more amenable to compromise.

Will it happen? Not a done deal yet. But, it will not because of technological reasons, as some here seem to suggest, that will derail the deal.

All the major phone manufacturers do make both GSM and CDMA phones, and make profit.

CGC
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Donathius View Post

In other news Megatron is filing a suit claiming that Pegatron is attempting to confuse consumers be using a sound-alike name in order to take advantage of the good will currently associated with the Megatron brand.

Best post of the day!!! LOL... thank you for the laugh.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    To state the obvious: why is no one considering that this phone is for the Asian market?
  • Reply 55 of 61
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    I don't think you guys are quite hitting it.

Can Apple do a CDMA phone? I am sure they could...... But.......

It would take some extra work, not just for hardware, but major software as well.

It would be a stepchild to the iPhone... No data AND voice, just one or other.

Verizon wants to be a controlling Bastar* and Apple does not like that.... (VCAST etc,)

While CDMA is limited, Apple could sell phones for a few years, especially with next gen hardware built in.

There is still much change going on in Gen 4 rules vs how it works.

IF a Verizon phone comes out, it would be a feature compromised version so would have to be cheaper than iPhones AT&T.

Verizons CEO is a total douche. :-) Steve hates a total Douche.... :-)

And many more.

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 56 of 61
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    wrong thread
  • Reply 57 of 61
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    I don't believe it either.

Having said that, if Verizon did get the iPhone, they'd probably have the same issues as AT&T in big cities once tons of people sign up. But having said that, I probably would switch back to Verizon if they got the phone, because I was definitely happier with Verizon than I am with AT&T, so I supposed I'd give Verizon a shot.

I was in London this week and I couldn't believe how much better the phone worked on O2 than it does on AT&T. I had always suspected that the iPhone itself was somewhat at fault for dropped calls, slow 3G speeds, etc. and that view was reinforced by the supposed design changes in the new phone model, but that definitely seems NOT to be the case, because the iPhone 3G worked spectacularly in London.

I should have done a speedtest, but Edge speeds in London were more like 3G speeds in New York and 3G speeds in most areas were just about as fast as most public WiFi in New York. This didn't just make email easier to use, but it made the mapping app practical. The other thing I noticed was that outgoing mail was sent almost instantly. In New York, it could take 5 to 10 minutes for that mail to be sent. I always thought that was some sort of bug with the OS, but obviously not.

The phone also worked in many (but not all) of the London Underground tube stations. When there were rumors of introducing some kind of similar capability in New York subways, I thought it was a bad idea, because I imagined tons of people talking loudly on their phones in a crowded subway car, but I actually found it quite productive -- for example, I was able to speak to a business associate whose flight from the U.S. was canceled while I was underground waiting for the Heathrow-London express train and I was able to send email while I was on the way to business meetings.

Because Cupertino and surrounding areas are so much less dense than New York, I have a feeling that Apple really doesn't have a good feel for just how bad the performance of the phone is in New York because of AT&T. Instead of bad-mouthing Adobe, maybe Apple should be taking on AT&T.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I mean new to Apple. Please, a little less with the name calling when you were simply misunderstanding what I said, that is a sign of ignorance if ever I saw it.

Ignorance is not knowing that "a position of ignorance" is not "name calling." It means simply that you don't know, which is an eminently reasonable assumption since your writing was ambiguous. We can't read minds on this or any other forum. If you can't be bothered to realize that "new and untested" can have multiple meanings, why should we have to figure it out for you? You could have saved a lot of trouble by writing, "a company that they have not used before." FYI, most companies would look at the record of a contractor rather than just saying, "we've never used them before so we never will." It's also unwise to put all your eggs in one basket. If they let Foxconn be their sole assembly provider for every single Apple product, what happens if Foxconn suddenly has problems, like labor unrest?
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Apple will release a CDMA iPhone, with GSM capability built in for overseas use - just like the blackberry 8830.

And to all those att fan boys out there, when this happens, I expect you all to eat crow.

That is all.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrownSeven View Post

Apple will release a CDMA iPhone, with GSM capability built in for overseas use - just like the blackberry 8830.

And to all those att fan boys out there, when this happens, I expect you all to eat crow.

That is all.

So this will be a larger, more expensive phone with a worse battery life?

I wonder why people who push this idea aren't wondering why all phones are made this way, at least the CDMA phones, since they see it as being an all pro solution without negative aspects.