Adobe-Apple war on Flash reminiscent of PostScript struggle

Comments

• Reply 81 of 108
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    H.264 encoding without the Flash wrapper is up 160% since the introduction of the iPad.
  • Reply 82 of 108
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Look up the definition of the word 'beta'. Flash 10.1 has not been released yet. And the beta has crashed in every demo that Adobe has done so pardon me if I assume that your standards for 'works just fine' must be awfully low.

There is nothing to lookup. The Flash player is shipping with HTC Desire. It works great. Something must be wrong on your end.

Quote:

You're even more confused than I thought. Flash has NEVER been an open standard, nor has it ever been possible for anyone to write their own Flash player.

There is specification of the Flash SWF format as a free download and Adobe encourages you to develop your own flash player without any royalties. If this is not open, what is ?
  • Reply 83 of 108
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

There is nothing to lookup. The Flash player is shipping with HTC Desire. It works great. Something must be wrong on your end.

Flash lite not the full Flash. Flash 10.1 is the full Flash that we've been waiting for.

Quote:

There is specification of the Flash SWF format as a free download and Adobe encourages you to develop your own flash player without any royalties. If this is not open, what is ?

That is the Flash player - one part of Flash. No one outside of Adobe can take the Flash source code and do whatever they want with it.
  • Reply 84 of 108
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

*snip*

Dude look at his username. Quit feeding the troll.
  • Reply 85 of 108
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    [QUOTE=jragosta;1634099]Wow. I proved that you didn't know what you were talking about and you launch into some bizarre (and ungrammatical) rant. Go figure.

How did you prove me wrong, but taking one link, I provided you and twisting the interpretation of the data for your own means. By your opinion all my links are wild guesses except for one. Sorry but I think as I said you are biased and my links show that. As I said I will read your comments in future with a LOT of salt, since your comments lack any factual support and you are not open minded. As I said previously you want to win the discussion, not have a discussion.

A lot of experts must be having wild guesses and you must be right

P.S. here is another link for you that uses Apple's company filings to show that iPhone 3GS GM 55.5% http://seekingalpha.com/article/1082...for-the-iphone
  • Reply 86 of 108
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    Quote:

Flash lite not the full Flash. Flash 10.1 is the full Flash that we've been waiting for.

Are you sure ? I tried to use a quite a few flash enabled sites and it works with all of them without any problems. Until I find a flash web site, that won't work, I just don't care what is the name of the Flash plugin in my phone. And even if you are right and this is just limited version of Flash, that is still better experience that I can use at least some Flash web sites, compared to "best web experience" on iPad, where I can see just that blue cube.

Quote:

That is the Flash player - one part of Flash. No one outside of Adobe can take the Flash source code and do whatever they want with it.

Don't get your reasoning. The Flash specification (SWF) is open and published. You (or Apple, or anybody) can take it and create better Flash player than Adobe. Adobe won't sue you, won't try to make money from you, in fact I am pretty sure they will help you with your efforts. If this is not open, then I don't know what it is.

On the contrary, HTML5 is still not there, it is yet unclear what components will make it in and it is quite possible that it will contain closed, proprietary component (h.264) that might not be even free to use. HTML5 might be the future, but it is clearly not there yet. Flash might not be the future, but it is the present. Current iPad will be obsolete before HTML5 is really relevant (i.e. replaces Flash as de-facto standard, which is massively used)
  • Reply 87 of 108
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

How did you prove me wrong, but taking one link, I provided you and twisting the interpretation of the data for your own means. By your opinion all my links are wild guesses except for one. Sorry but I think as I said you are biased and my links show that. As I said I will read your comments in future with a LOT of salt, since your comments lack any factual support and you are not open minded. As I said previously you want to win the discussion, not have a discussion.

A lot of experts must be having wild guesses and you must be right

P.S. here is another link for you that uses Apple's company filings to show that iPhone 3GS GM 55.5% http://seekingalpha.com/article/1082...for-the-iphone

I already explained why look at the margin on deferred revenue is not the same as margin on the entire product line.

If you don't understand simple economic concepts, do yourself a favor and stop making yourself look foolish. Get an education about economics first, and THEN post.
  • Reply 88 of 108
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

It will crash that one page without bringing down the entire browser. We would prefer no crashes though.

Not in my experience. When Flash crashes Safari, the entire window closes and I get a dialog asking if I want to relaunch Safari. To me, that's crashing Safari. I wouldn't know what it looks like to crash just the page because it has never happened to me, it's always been the entire Safari app.
  • Reply 89 of 108
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:

I already explained why look at the margin on deferred revenue is not the same as margin on the entire product line.

If you don't understand simple economic concepts, do yourself a favor and stop making yourself look foolish. Get an education about economics first, and THEN post.

I understand simple economic concepts, here it more simple for you http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2009/07/...gross-margins/, pity you never left kindergarden with your childish behaviour and name calling

here is paragraph taken from my link, which explains to you very simple layman terms:

This is complicated stuff, but the bottom line, as Muller points out, is that iPhone profitability has been rising to the point where gross margins on the device are over 50%.

Tell what the chart says for GM in 09 maybe over 50%. keep on coming, I am not the one looking foolish.
  • Reply 90 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I understand simple economic concepts, here it more simple for you http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2009/07/...gross-margins/, pity you never left kindergarden with your childish behaviour and name calling

here is paragraph taken from my link, which explains to you very simple layman terms:

This is complicated stuff, but the bottom line, as Muller points out, is that iPhone profitability has been rising to the point where gross margins on the device are over 50%.

Tell what the chart says for GM in 09 maybe over 50%. keep on coming, I am not the one looking foolish.

Note that you're once again using gross margins on the REFORECAST, not gross margins on the product line. You've now made the same mistake at least 3 times - even though I keep point out the fallacy in that.

Here's a tip for you - no matter how many times you keep repeating the same fallacy, it will not become true.

As soon as you have an advanced business degree and experience running several multi-million dollar companies, you can feel free to correct me. Until then, keep your mouth shut and you might learn something - instead of making the same mistakes over and over and over.
  • Reply 91 of 108
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Look up the definition of the word 'beta'. Flash 10.1 has not been released yet. And the beta has crashed in every demo that Adobe has done so pardon me if I assume that your standards for 'works just fine' must be awfully low.

Looks like this demo of Flash 10.1 on a Nexus One appears to be running just fine.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7XJI4NN7k

Multiple sites and not a single crash. Admit it, Flash is coming along pretty well for mobile devices.

Just a few more days until Google I/O that makes Flash official. What will you say then if all the live demos go perfectly well? And what about after it gets released in June and still continues running fine?

Only time will tell...
  • Reply 92 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Looks like this demo of Flash 10.1 on a Nexus One appears to be running just fine.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7XJI4NN7k

Multiple sites and not a single crash. Admit it, Flash is coming along pretty well for mobile devices.

Just a few more days until Google I/O that makes Flash official. What will you say then if all the live demos go perfectly well? And what about after it gets released in June and still continues running fine?

Only time will tell...

IF they actually release it on time and IF it actually works the way they say it will, then 1% of all smart phones will have the ability to run Flash. No iPhones on the market today will have the ability to run Flash, nor will the 99% of smart phones out there that are not running the latest Android software with Flash.

It really doesn't change much - even IF it does run well.
  • Reply 93 of 108
    Quote:

IF they actually release it on time and IF it actually works the way they say it will, then 1% of all smart phones will have the ability to run Flash. No iPhones on the market today will have the ability to run Flash, nor will the 99% of smart phones out there that are not running the latest Android software with Flash.

It really doesn't change much - even IF it does run well.

Ah, so now success means "doesn't matter much". The way I see it, Adobe showing off a working Flash 10.1 on Android acts as a stepping stone for the other companies. Besides all the usual Google partners (Samsung, LG, HTC, etc), I'm sure Nokia and RIM are closely watching Google I/O. What's to stop the other companies from jumping onboard as well?

As Android moves up in market adoption, it'll inevitablly overtake the iPhone (even the IDC predicts that). Lets say, for the sake of argument, that Nokia jumps onboard too and full Flash is working on Symbian. It's my opinion that RIM will eventually jump on too if Nokia does. Then we have the majority of smartphones being Flash enabled, while the iPhone stands alone.

The real question then becomes can Flash jump from Android to Symbian to BB OS before HTML5 takes over?
  • Reply 94 of 108
    Quote:

Ah, so now success means "doesn't matter much".

No, it doesn't.

The major issue being discussed here is whether Apple was right not to wait for Adobe to release Flash for the iPhone. Success on 1 GHz Android phones is no indication that Adobe would EVER have released an iPhone version (in fact, it supports the belief that they are incapable of doing so - since they require 50-100% more CPU power than the iPhone currently provides).

Success on high powered Android phones (even if it occurs, which isn't yet an established fact given how many Adobe demos have crashed and burned) doesn't do a thing to suggest that Apple made the wrong decision.
  • Reply 95 of 108
    Quote:

No, it doesn't.

The major issue being discussed here is whether Apple was right not to wait for Adobe to release Flash for the iPhone. Success on 1 GHz Android phones is no indication that Adobe would EVER have released an iPhone version (in fact, it supports the belief that they are incapable of doing so - since they require 50-100% more CPU power than the iPhone currently provides).

Success on high powered Android phones (even if it occurs, which isn't yet an established fact given how many Adobe demos have crashed and burned) doesn't do a thing to suggest that Apple made the wrong decision.

For the discussion as applied to the iPhone, then yes, I will agree with you. Steve Jobs has commanded that Flash will never run on the iPhone and that's that.

Like I said, if Nokia and RIM jump onboard, then the majority of the world's OSs will be Flash enabled for the duration of Flash's life on the internet. I know Symbian already has Flash Lite, so there's interest there. And being a previous BB owner, I know that there's a good deal of interest in getting Flash working. I haven't read much on MS's stance with WP7 though... Nor HP's plans with webOS (though probably nobody really knows).

I guess I'm just more optimistic than you are. The latest demos have shown that Flash runs just fine on Android 2.2. I'm willing to see what the future holds first before just writing them off based on some early beta tests. Just like the iPhone 4.0 has a good future, even though current betas have lots of bugs and causes crashes of all sorts. Personally, I'd prefer the option of having the choice open to me. If it comes with a toggle switch, I'd be more than happy.
  • Reply 96 of 108
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:

Ah, so now success means "doesn't matter much". The way I see it, Adobe showing off a working Flash 10.1 on Android acts as a stepping stone for the other companies. Besides all the usual Google partners (Samsung, LG, HTC, etc), I'm sure Nokia and RIM are closely watching Google I/O. What's to stop the other companies from jumping onboard as well?

As Android moves up in market adoption, it'll inevitablly overtake the iPhone (even the IDC predicts that). Lets say, for the sake of argument, that Nokia jumps onboard too and full Flash is working on Symbian. It's my opinion that RIM will eventually jump on too if Nokia does. Then we have the majority of smartphones being Flash enabled, while the iPhone stands alone.

The real question then becomes can Flash jump from Android to Symbian to BB OS before HTML5 takes over?

It was pointed out to me that Symbian is already running full flash on the n900. I didn't know that. My N97 test phone runs flash, And it's pretty sure Nokia will be having the new 10.1 on their phones as well. If, the player runs well, the other companies such as BB, will be looking for ways to differentiate itself from iphone, and flash player could easily be one of them. Blackberry and adobe officially announced they were working together to bring the player to BB, as did microsoft.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Quote:

snip...

Not too many developers I know who use flash, feel it was wrong to not allow flash player as it is on the current iphones. Including myself.
  • Reply 97 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

It was pointed out to me that Symbian is already running full flash on the n900. I didn't know that. My N97 test phone runs flash, And it's pretty sure Nokia will be having the new 10.1 on their phones as well. If, the player runs well, the other companies such as BB, will be looking for ways to differentiate itself from iphone, and flash player could easily be one of them. Blackberry and adobe officially announced they were working together to bring the player to BB, as did microsoft.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Interesting to read that. I know it's a broad generalization, but I'd love to see Flash be able to bring cross-platform gaming.

There are plenty of multiplayer games on the iPhone that I wish the developers would start moving to Android. But until the do, I'm stuck with waiting. Having everyone be able to run a unified set of code for games would be huge.
  • Reply 98 of 108
    Quote:

FI guess I'm just more optimistic than you are. The latest demos have shown that Flash runs just fine on Android 2.2. I'm willing to see what the future holds first before just writing them off based on some early beta tests. Just like the iPhone 4.0 has a good future, even though current betas have lots of bugs and causes crashes of all sorts. Personally, I'd prefer the option of having the choice open to me. If it comes with a toggle switch, I'd be more than happy.

Other than the fact that the public demos all crashed and ate battery charge like crazy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

It was pointed out to me that Symbian is already running full flash on the n900. I didn't know that.

Except that 9.4 is really Flash Lite, not a full version. See the top of the page:

http://www.flashlite4nokia.com/n900
  • Reply 99 of 108
    groovetubegroovetube Posts: 557member
    Quote:

Other than the fact that the public demos all crashed and ate battery charge like crazy.

Except that 9.4 is really Flash Lite, not a full version. See the top of the page:

http://www.flashlite4nokia.com/n900

Not all public demos have crashed like crazy. That is a over dramatization of things. It didn't crash at all at the demo I saw at the conference I attended. I know of several others it didn't crash at either.

You might be referring to the demo where the guy did an unplanned demo with an older version of the player. That one went around like wildfire.

As for the n900, I'll have to check. Someone posted saying it was flash 9.4. There -is no- flash lite 9.4, there's a typo on that page, and it's a question of whether it's the "lite" reference, or the version number.

Flash lite is only in version 3. But it would make sense to me if it were flash lite 3, since that's what my n97 runs.
  • Reply 100 of 108
    Quote:

The YouTube video I've link to elsewhere here show that it runs fine. From what I've been reading, that's the latest Flash code.

Your logic is on this is analogeous to watching films of man trying to create the airplane and failing a few times and then proclaiming that man will never create a flying device.

Yes those demos crashed. But the latest code hasn't crashed. On top of that, an unrelated tech blog site has managed to get their hands on Android 2.2 and ran videos and games outside of a controlled environment and it didn't crash. Google I/O starts tomorrow, so we'll all see officially how Flash will fare.

As for the battery claims, I'd like to see your sources. I'm truly interested in this.