AT&T reveals high-speed HSPA+ will reach 250M Americans in 2010

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    This is a joke right? I think AT&T accidentally might have accidentally reissued their press release from 1998. My local mobile network is running over 40Mbps and is already working on a doubling of that for 2011.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Is that a reference to an older movie with Don Johnson?

No, two recent high profile (I thought) events at Phillies games...
  • Reply 43 of 89
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

No, two recent high profile (I thought) events at Phillies games...

Oh. I imagine the perpetrators wont ever misbehave again!
  • Reply 44 of 89
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

With DSL?

25 with DSL

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpIn...Chart_Dsl.page

Up to 50 with Rogers (Cable)

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...=INTER_HISPEED
  • Reply 45 of 89
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

Really? I'd rather they didn't bother with the HSPA+ and instead focus on their crappy service! If I'm on my phone more than 5 minutes, its not a question of "if" my call will get dropped, it's just when, and how many times. Last time I called my mom my call was dropped 3 times in 30 minutes, and yeah, I had 4 bars...

It's all about marketing. They won't be able to claim "The Fastest 3G" in their ads if they don't do this. They don't claim the most reliable or the most coverage just the fastest.
  • Reply 46 of 89
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

True that, but it WAS his giant sig that got the poll started. And the poll pretty much says it all. So what's up AI??

Wizards sig might have been what prompted the recent poll, but people were complaining about the web app from the day it was first introduced.

So far it's fallen completely on deaf ears at AppleInsider and to my knowledge not a single one of the people associated with the site has even bothered to post anything about it or why they still have it when large amounts of their viewers (including most of the long-time regulars), hate it with a passion.

My best guess is that someone was hired to make the stupid thing, and it is what it is until they find the money to hire someone else to fix it. Either that or it was made by one of the site admins/owners and no one wants to tell Bob or whomever made it, what a POS it is because it's hard to tell your friend or coworker his design sucks.

On the other hand, (curiously), tech sites like this one are not alone in failing to keep up with the new mobile platform. How many tech sites have a web app for instance? Only a few have bothered to make iPhone or Android apps of their sites too. Most of them still use stupid Flash video at the same time as they are posting articles about the death of Flash.

My theory is that these guys are all road warriors with giant laptops they carry around and just don't see the needs of mobile device users because they have so much invested in the "old way." They aren't trying to post comments from the donut shoppe with their iPhone, they are sitting in the airport with their 15" MacBook Pro. They are part of the technorati that still don't "get it" (the new platform/paradigm), even as they blog all about it.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Anybody using the FCC Mobile Broadband Test app, http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/fcc-m...357119507?mt=8

taken the Consumer Broadband Test, filed the Dead Zone Report where applicable. http://www.broadband.gov/qualitytest/about/

used AT&T's Mark the Spot app http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-...338307313?mt=8

or just complaining for the sake of it?
  • Reply 48 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

With DSL?

Cable.

Novus offers up to 200 Mbits (optic fiber to the building)

Eastlink, Shaw offer up to 100 Mbits (cable)

Rogers, Videotron, Cogeco offer up to 50 Mbits (cable)

Bell offers up to 25 Mbits (DSL)
  • Reply 49 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i barely get edge in this part on rogers. \

No, that was a reply to a user talking about landline broadband.
  • Reply 50 of 89
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Boy, it seems to lay some credence to the recent CDMA and Verizon rumors, if AT&T is putting forth an announcement about high speed that will reach 250M American, nearly all, at years end?!
  • Reply 51 of 89
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    is verizon's theoretical limit more than ATT??

its all fluff, its what i get when i connect

sunday mornings i got as high as 2mb

rarely less than 800kb

so where's the speed.....in a theoretical sense

if verizon had the volume of iphones it's network would suffer, these increased speeds, how to tell?

forget speed what about coverage, drop calls and failed calls????
  • Reply 52 of 89
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    They are saying that in the Knoxville TN area they are going to have the 3G coverage expanded starting from Knoxville and then going no less than 30 miles West on I-40 by the end of summer. This was spoken directly to my coworker two months ago. It was the head guy over AT&T something another over Tennessee. It seems that AT&T is about to start making good on their investments.

It may be North, East and South too but his concern was West since he has no coverage.
  • Reply 53 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

But back on topic...

I seem to fall in the middle here, with AT&T. I almost never have dropped calls or data connection issues where I live, work or play. But my speeds are nowhere near advertised: 0.61Mbps down and 0.09 up! I get 15+ down on my WiFi...

I am in Miami, one of the first cities to get the higher speed rollout of the stated 7.2 Mbps (theoretical). Here are the results of my speedtests on different dates and times:

3GS

Down: 1.29 Mbps, 2.02 Mbps, 3.12 Mbps, .97 Mbps, 1.85Mbps

Up: .24 Mbps, .21 Mbps, .20 Mbps, .22 Mbps, .23 Mbps

WI_FI (Comcast broadband - Apple Gigabite wireless router):

Down: 5.40 Mbps, 4.20 Mbps, 6.22 Mbps, 4.22 Mbps, 4.56 Mbps

Up: 1.96 Mbps, 2.01 Mbps, 4.67 Mbps, 4.46 Mbps, 4.46 Mbps

Comments?
  • Reply 54 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

I am in Miami, one of the first cities to get the higher speed rollout of the stated 7.2 Mbps (theoretical). Here are the results of my speedtests on different dates and times:

3GS

Down: 1.29 Mbps, 2.02 Mbps, 3.12 Mbps, .97 Mbps, 1.85Mbps

Up: .24 Mbps, .21 Mbps, .20 Mbps, .22 Mbps, .23 Mbps

WI_FI (Comcast broadband - Apple Gigabite wireless router):

Down: 5.40 Mbps, 4.20 Mbps, 6.22 Mbps, 4.22 Mbps, 4.56 Mbps

Up: 1.96 Mbps, 2.01 Mbps, 4.67 Mbps, 4.46 Mbps, 4.46 Mbps

Comments?

Your AT&T speeds seem normal, but what's with your Comcast speeds? What is your maximum theoretical bandwidth with them?
  • Reply 55 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iedsri View Post

How naive can people be?

Verizon's "There's a map for that" ads weren't based on fiction, you know. Huge parts of the country still don't even get a reliable AT&T Edge signal, let alone 3G.

When they start promising something even better than 3G, I take it as a slap on the face to the vast number of their own customers who know after years of waiting that *nothing* *is* *actually* *being* *done* to improve their service. That 3G coverage map? It hasn't changed in THREE FULL YEARS . . . .

That is Far from true. In the past year here in NC they have enabled Hickory, Newton, Conover, Statesville, Asheville, Denver, Dallas, and Parts of Lincolnton. Gastonia has seen a noticable improvement in speed with the 7.2Mbps upgrade (its part of the Charlotte market)

Just because they have not upgraded YOUR area does not mean they are not expanding the 3G network
  • Reply 56 of 89
    machaymachay Posts: 11member
    It is interesting that dropped calls and cell tower capacity figure so much. I have been fortunate enough to use many GSM/UMTS networks around the world and have always noted that the towers work on the principle of 3. 3 sides with 3 panes/Antennae, or 3 panes on a pole.

Interestingly looking at many of AT&T's towers (and yes I can see one from my house) they use the 3 sided configuration, but only 6 panes. This surely must affect both coverage and capacity and seems to be unique to their network. I do understand that for certain directional masts, 2 panes at 180 degrees is desirable, but on a main tower 9 panes seems to be the global default.

This configuration also allows some of the panes to be angled to help overcome topography issues.

Often dropped calls are not signal related, but due to base station capacity and it seems to me AT&T are running at about 66% percent! This too probably impacts on data speed. Perhaps a Cell Tower engineer could enlighten us!
  • Reply 57 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacHay View Post

It is interesting that dropped calls and cell tower capacity figure so much. I have been fortunate enough to use many GSM/UMTS networks around the world and have always noted that the towers work on the principle of 3. 3 sides with 3 panes/Antennae, or 3 panes on a pole.

Interestingly looking at many of AT&T's towers (and yes I can see one from my house) they use the 3 sided configuration, but only 6 panes. This surely must affect both coverage and capacity and seems to be unique to their network. I do understand that for certain directional masts, 2 panes at 180 degrees is desirable, but on a main tower 9 panes seems to be the global default.

This configuration also allows some of the panes to be angled to help overcome topography issues.

Often dropped calls are not signal related, but due to base station capacity and it seems to me AT&T are running at about 66% percent! This too probably impacts on data speed. Perhaps a Cell Tower engineer could enlighten us!

Ideally cell towers should form a hexagon with the towers at the vertices. That would create complete coverage with no gaps. One problem with this geometric configuration is that it doesn't take into account where the streets are. If the alignment of the hexagonal sides of the cells too closely lines up with the streets, you will get a lot of hand offs which puts a lot of extra load on the system and can lead to dropped calls. So the system needs to be fine tuned to accommodate different areas of concentrated users to be efficient.

Try googling 'cell tower hexagon', there is a lot of info available.
  • Reply 58 of 89
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Those are up-to speeds. Isn't throttling commonplace in Canada? I'd also exceed the 75GB cap in a week, or less.

FIOS is the way to go, where it is available-

• Reply 59 of 89
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMackrb View Post

That is Far from true. In the past year here in NC they have enabled Hickory, Newton, Conover, Statesville, Asheville, Denver, Dallas, and Parts of Lincolnton. Gastonia has seen a noticable improvement in speed with the 7.2Mbps upgrade (its part of the Charlotte market)

Just because they have not upgraded YOUR area does not mean they are not expanding the 3G network

Probably the best argument to open the iPhone to other carriers. Then everyone can get good coverage.
  • Reply 60 of 89
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    The Fix to 3G IS THE NEXT Upgrade. Thus HSPA+ is great.