International bank switches from BlackBerry to Apple iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

The apple is doomed thing is getting a little long in the tooth guys

That's exactly what I thought after hearing it for 20 years from people that actually believed it.

... so I really don't mind hearing it as a joke.

I'll be really interested to hear an update from Standard one year from now.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    kilimanjarokilimanjaro Posts: 192member
    Wait, let me get it straight (for myself)..

With more and more support for enterprise and corporate features in iPhone OS 4.0, Apple is stepping into direction of becoming the next 'big brother' company model? (eg. 'big brother' companies like Microsoft and IBM)

And this is inevitable since Apple has to add more and more alluring features into the iPhone OS, either they're for personal or enterprise use, to compete in the market of smartphone that's every day filled with the next 'iPhone killer'.

Thus come the phrase: "Apple is doomed"..???
  • Reply 23 of 53
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Not at all. It's hauled out by the resident trolls on a regular basis. They don't use those exact words anymore but the implication is very clear. The latest incarnation is the "history is repeating itself" FUD, meaning any day now Apple will lose all of its market share and return to being "just" an overprice niche company. And then there are all of the iPhone and iPad "killer" products that are coming out "any day now" meaning, of course, that Apple is Doomed and it's only a matter of time.

ditto what you said.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

That's exactly what I thought after hearing it for 20 years from people that actually believed it.

... so I really don't mind hearing it as a joke.

I'll be really interested to hear an update from Standard one year from now.

ditto you too.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Thus come the phrase: "Apple is doomed"..???

It's ironic.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

I wonder what they will do to address Apple's (current) lack of a mobile messenger/communicator like BBM. Will they develop an in-house IM app?

I still miss the BlackBerry Messenger, and hope Apple can make something to compete with it.

From a corporate management structure, it makes a lot of sense to go with Apple rather than RIM, as there isn't a whole lot of different models, and the release schedule is well understood and not too frequent.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I still miss the BlackBerry Messenger, and hope Apple can make something to compete with it. ...

It's just a proprietary IM client. Why would anyone even want to make a competing product for something like that? It would seem like a giant *failing* in an IM client to be proprietary.

In any case, rumour has it that the iPhone 4.0/HD will have iChat which is pretty much the same thing except slightly less proprietary and using video as well.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

DOOMED is Apple (trademark applied for)?

WOE unto Apple(trademark applied for)?

Double, double toil and trouble! Beleaguered Jobs and doomed is Apple!

Lord John Whorfin: May I pass along my congratulations for your great enterprise breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined.

Lord John Whorfin: Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Sorry it was just too tempting!
  • Reply 29 of 53
    cy_starkmancy_starkman Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

As has often been pointed out, a lot of corporate iPhone adoption is driven from the top, not by IT. This basically means that the entrenched preferences of the IT staff aren't as important as they would be if left to their own, and the evaluation isn't based on, "let's see if this iPhone thing will fit our current operations, when we feel like it," it's, "we've been told to work iPhone support into our operations," which makes a big difference and tends to eliminate the foot-dragging.

Yeah and my observation of corporate IT departments is that they like things that don't work and cause lots of user frustration cause it keeps them looking special and in a job. I've yet to encounter a corporate IT person who actually delivers their skill set to the base of people they support. More likely they are never available and everything is too hard or simply not policy, or whatever else they can think up to avoid doing anything.

A company that I work for uses blackberries, they are horrible, I won't use them. I'm not saying my iPhone is without room for improvement but by gawd at least you can get to the call log in a sensible way.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's just a proprietary IM client. Why would anyone even want to make a competing product for something like that? It would seem like a giant *failing* in an IM client to be proprietary.

In any case, rumour has it that the iPhone 4.0/HD will have iChat which is pretty much the same thing except slightly less proprietary and using video as well.

Even though the iPhone will be more attractive especially with the new look, I wonder if iChat will be treated separately as something that will still get mistrusted until it gets enterprise visibility (as it's got none now).

Plus can the desktop version of iChat be installed on all those Windows 2000 computers?
  • Reply 31 of 53
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Yeah and my observation of corporate IT departments is that they like things that don't work and cause lots of user frustration cause it keeps them looking special and in a job. I've yet to encounter a corporate IT person who actually delivers their skill set to the base of people they support. More likely they are never available and everything is too hard or simply not policy, or whatever else they can think up to avoid doing anything.

Well, there may be some corporate IT departments that are like that, but what I had in mind was a more general issue...

Any group of people who work together tend to have their own set of shared biases. Additionally, most entrenched groups tend to be resistant to or feel threatened by change. A corporate IT department that currently supports BlackBerrys and is not likely to have much Apple expertise, will not, on it's own initiative, eagerly pursue an agenda of iPhone adoption. However, if the company executives tell the IT department that they will support iPhones, and need to determine how, their bias has to be put aside since the alternative is more dangerous to them.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So what you're saying is "Apple is doomed!™" is doomed!™

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That, certainly is snappier®

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Not really. You're just doomed!™ for saying/writing it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Hey Joel, just take it with a pinch of salt.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    bobrkbobrk Posts: 36member
    My company lets you pick between BBs and iPhones. Most people seem to be getting the iPhones these days, including a lot of people I never thought would.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

maybe. but for those of us who remember the '90s, when you could almost never read the phrase 'computer maker apple' with the inevitable 'beleaguered' stuck to it , it's nice to see it used this way...

Yes, some of us actually ARE long in the tooth. When you took that sh*t from M$ lovers for as long as we had to, we're never gonna tire of giving it back. Is it "he who laughs last laughs loudest or longest."?
  • Reply 35 of 53
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Maybe he was thinking of an IM system that is more secure? Like a private, internal system instead of a public one? IT types live and die by security, or think they do.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by masternav View Post

Double, double toil and trouble! Beleaguered Jobs and doomed is Apple!

Lord John Whorfin: May I pass along my congratulations for your great enterprise breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined.

Lord John Whorfin: Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Sorry it was just too tempting!

Methinks I kind of like Lord John...
  • Reply 37 of 53
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    In all seriousness, I have seen and heard of some of the most stodgy and rigid companies out there creating iPhone apps.

Which begs the question: Why would they spend the time, effort and dollars to create proprietary iPhone apps if they had no intention of switching over to iPhones.

(Hey, I may be slow and old, but don't count me out yet! )
  • Reply 38 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Nothing wrong with a little more enterprise business for Apple, but the consumer market is still much, much larger.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    They are giving the employees a choice, not switching them over.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Yes, some of us actually ARE long in the tooth. When you took that sh*t from M$ lovers for as long as we had to, we're never gonna tire of giving it back. Is it "he who laughs last laughs loudest or longest."?

Exactly. Apple has been hitting so many home runs lately, and have become the third most valuable company in the US, that some of these youngsters think this must have always been the case. (Not dissimilar to Boston Red Sox fans who became fans since 2004, who throw a hissy-fit when they lose a game, let alone do not win the World Series).

There were some very long, dark days when our noses got mightily and repeatedly rubbed in.

It's our turn, buddy.