Apple scaling Final Cut Studio apps to fit prosumers

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 104
    I run a small but high end production company and we are using the demo of Smoke for the Mac as a back up plan in case Apple has any notion of doing to FCP what it did to Quicktime. ( neutering it via X)

iMovie and FC Express are great for prosumers - but if Apple wants to maintain/hold on to some place in the Pro market it will PUSH FCS to new heights beyond the minimums: 64 bit, and Open CL support.

Smoke is 15,000$ and while a TON of money i would happily pay double the current FCS price to feel like my last 8 years building a studio around Final Cut and its great additions - Motion and the FxPlug in architecture.

NAB was painful to see how far Apple has slipped - it smelled Like Quark failing to believe the move to OS X was worth the effort.

Anyone use Quark anymore?
  • Reply 102 of 104
    cseemancseeman Posts: 18member
    Alas my production company is not so high end but I do have nearly 30 years experience having been senior editor and chief engineer at high end facilities.

I think the article is deliberately alarmist. Quicktime X is an interim step to new technology which is why 7.6 is still available. X avails itself to HTTP streaming for example, not built in to 7.6.

Both X and Final Cut Studio are undergoing radical transitions in my estimation. FCP itself was built on very old code from Macromedia and was being developed for Windows. It also moved through OS9. I suspect that's meant a very long development time. It's probably way FCS3 was only incremental from FCS2. The real resources are vested in a ground up rewrite. Apple has to juggle rushing a product to market vs doing it right. Apple's history has almost NEVER been first to market. The iPod wasn't the first MP3 player and the iPhone wasn't the first smartphone. FCP, was just a neat new NLE approach that really couldn't touch professional feature rich Avid when it first came to market. Look at how big FCS grew to.

I really think FCS is in the next "caterpillar to butterfly" and we're going to see the next butterfly. Apple tends to "survey the market" and find a "new way" to fill a need and I suspect that's what will see. I believe that's why Jobs sent me an email, when I pointed to this article, and said the next FCS will be awesome. It might be a vague statement but Apple rarely is wrong about "awesome." Their pattern is to be slow and awesome rather than hastily seeking parity competitors.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by walkerbell View Post

I run a small but high end production company and we are using the demo of Smoke for the Mac as a back up plan in case Apple has any notion of doing to FCP what it did to Quicktime. ( neutering it via X)

. . .

• Reply 103 of 104
    "I think the article is deliberately alarmist. Quicktime X is an interim step to new technology which is why 7.6 is still available. X avails itself to HTTP streaming for example, not built in to 7.6."

I guess i respectfully disagree on this re quicktime X - losing the ability to do quick in and outs as well as the ability to Export and use QT as an export tool was lost in X. Yes you CAN reload it form the Utilities folder but you can not make it the default for all Quicktime operations. Apple has placed a runtime deamon in that even if you elect to make QT Pro the default - on reboot it defaults back to X.

Most filmmakers i know who complain louder than I about this has less use for streaming functionality then In and Out quick edit & exporting functionality.

I sincerely want to be incorrect but this and no update in over a year, to 12 yr old legacy code has made us here start to get familiar with Smoke...just in case.

The next 3 to 5 months will tell.
  • Reply 104 of 104
    sasparillasasparilla Posts: 121member
    Well, here we are more than a year later and Final Cut Pro X rolls out and its....Final Cut Express 5 not Final Cut Pro 8. The pro's (with big multi-user workflows) have the pitchforks out and can't believe it.

Apple Insider called this one to a tee. Hopefully Apple brings back the pro focus in the future, but based on this article and how the rollout has been, its hard to think they will.

Its amusing Apple went through the effort to deny this way back when, even though it turns out they were doing exactly what this article talks about.