Professional Final Cut Pro users worried about upcoming changes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

I'm sure not worried...

I've been using Logic since v5.5... it was horribly unintuitive back then. 7 was OK, 8 was sort of an improvement over that...

But v9 blew my socks off.

It has all the "pro" power I need, but also evolved into a very intuitive interface, easy to use and APPLY all that power under the hood. I haven't had to sacrifice anything for turning out professional audio productions. But those changes also make it more "accessible"... prosumers, as people are calling them, find it easy to use, and they too can get great, professional results from it.

I think Apple is going to take a similar route with FInal Cut. Make it more intuitive and easy to use, but retain (and add to) all of its pro feature set.

The last couple of FCP versions were a lot like the previous couple of Logic upgrades. Good, but not major leaps.

If the next FCP is anything like the most recent Logic upgrade, I'm going to be celebrating...

just my two-cents, fwiw

Yeah. Don't get where these iMovie comparisons are coming from. Just because the guy who wrote iMovie is in charge doesn't mean that he is going to turn final cut in to imovie. Quite a stretch. I'm happy they have a real UI designer involved. FCP isn't that bad looking but it is starting to get dated and there is some quirkiness to the UI that could be made more intuitive (like Logic).
  • Reply 22 of 40
    As a professional working in the film industry, I couldn't see one reason why Apple would consider stopping development on "Shake" either. It was the leading compositing package out there. It needed a freshen up to include modern management of .exr files and 3D facility, but I think everyone was looking forward to some positve improvement on it. Then it was killed! What? Not even sold off! Just killed.

This example would be a good reason to be concerned about the future of FCPro. I choose to be positively hopeful. But this is also a concern at the back of my mind. I hope it is unfounded as these products are fantastic.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Don't you think the name of this article ought to be "Apple flatly denies our thinly sourced rumor about dumbing down FCP" rather than "Professional Final Cut Pro users worried about upcoming changes"?

Or maybe "Some people on the web react to our patently untrue story about dumbing down FCP, the refutation of which we're just going to kinda slip in while still talking about users 'worrying' about the false things we previously said, the net effect of which is to make us seem simultaneously duplicitous and possibly insane"?

Really guys, a retraction and "we regret the error" would be more appropriate.

Isn't this a little bit like Obama lambasting the government in washington?

Daniel Eran Dilger, who wrote this article, is the same "Prince McLean" who wrote the original article:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...prosumers.html

It is bad enough to [indirectly] quote yourself... But, are you now, calling yourself a liar?

I stopped reading the Daniel Eran Dilger blog because of similar tactics.

Really, AppleInsider, you need to ban this author, before he tarnishes your reputation further...

• Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Isn't this a little bit like Obama lambasting the government in washington?

Daniel Eran Dilger, who wrote this article, is the same "Prince McLean" who wrote the original article:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...prosumers.html

It is bad enough to [indirectly] quote yourself... But, are you now, calling yourself a liar?

I stopped reading the Daniel Eran Dilger blog because of similar tactics.

Really, AppleInsider, you need to ban this author, before he tarnishes your reputation further...

ulicar, is that you? I've noticed less trolling in the blog comments lately.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

I thought all of Apple's major market already edits their video right there on the iPhone they shot it with...

Well...

You are obviously joking, but there have been a lot of recent additions to the iPhone OS frameworks and APIs in this area. These provide capabilities far beyond what are needed to just "consume" data.

So, something, likely, is going on in this area, or why add the capability?

There already are a couple of iPhone/iPad apps that allow basic photo and video manipulation-- even one that can stitch together photos into a panorama.

The iPad, through its Camera Connection Kit can input input from a camera/videoCam (including the iPhone) or SD card.

There is a use for certain types of ad hoc photo or video manipulation, where the immediacy is more important than "professional" result.

One example. would be a photo, or video clip of a play in a sports event-- a stolen base, a pick and roll, juking an opponent in football or soccer. Capture the photo/clip with a camera, then a few seconds/minutes later bring it up on the iPad. Where you can tele-strate it. Frame-by-frame, zoom in/out, highlight players, etc.

You already can do the frame-by-frame and zoom in/out... highlighting and tele-strating are not a real stretch.

What if you manually highlighted a player in a clip, and automatically tracked his progress (moved the highlight) as the play evolved?

We aren't talking about the "Great American Movie" here! Rather, some perishable video that has a valuable use at the moment (a time out, the locker room at half-time).

There are similar uses for instant gratification (post processing) in the medical and educational fields... maybe even video production, at a shoot!

• Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redglittercoffin View Post

ulicar, is that you? I've noticed less trolling in the blog comments lately.

No! It's me: Dick Applebaum. I post using my real name where allowed. I suspect the blogs would be a lot more civil (and useful) if posters (and authors) used their real names and took responsibility for their comments (rather than hiding behind an alias).

• Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

No! It's me: Dick Applebaum. I post using my real name where allowed. I suspect the blogs would be a lot more civil (and useful) if posters (and authors) used their real names and took responsibility for their comments (rather than hiding behind an alias).

Oh, my apologies then.

You're making a good point about aliases. I actually post comments under my real name at DED's blog and forum.

Appleinsider hasn't really been living up to its name lately. I can't say their "insider information" has been very accurate really. I had higher hopes for Prince McLean/Daniel Eran Dilger, given his history of many brilliant posts at his own blog.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graeme View Post

This is all a big fuss about nothing. I can't think of a single reason why Apple would sabotage a strong healthy product like FCS.

Jobs is bored with it and wants to tinker.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

that said, perhaps buying some smaller company and having an Apple branded 'photoshop' isn't out of line. particularly since it would have one major advantage over photoshop in that it's not the windows version with some translation stuff slapped around it so it would probably run a lot better.

The disadvantage to such software being adopted is that it wouldn't be cross platform.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    It seems Apple likes to focus fanatically one ONE thing at a time, anyone hear anything about GarageBand lately? They tend to focus on one aspect and then it kinda fizzles for a bit, and when you think they've forgotten about it, they swoop in and make changes and tell you that everyone should be doing this because everyone else is. Personally, I hope this rumor is just that, a rumor, because there is a huge leap between a Prosumer and a Pro. I thought Final Cut Express was fine for those folks, but what they may be talking about here is the rest of the Studio Suite, not just Final Cut Pro.

It's because nice cameras are getting really affordable and most people buying them have no real idea what they are getting in to. Catering to the Prosumer is not beneficial to people who need this for a living, who have spent the time and money to do it really well.

I'm thinking that Apple is a little smarter than that though. Let's hope I'm right.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Jobs is a joke. No PowerMac update since February 2009. That's 15 months, or over 6 quarters without a refresh. Sure, my business needs determine my purchases, so I bought a lower priced iMac and Firewire RAID to prevent a purchase in old technology. Great iMac, but it was still a compromise.

Best CEO... not.
  • Reply 31 of 40

Excellent writer:

"... avid Final Cut Studio users..."

Right. Think Avid. It's different.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I don't think there is anything for anyone to worry about.

Either,

A) Final Cut sales are poor, because "pros" are not buying the expensive software, and making due with equally capable (and far cheaper) consumer software. In which case Apple will likely stop offering the same features/price, and narrow it down to an equally capable but less dense software package, at half or a a third of the previous price.

or

B) Final Cut sales are still strong, and too continue the drive Apple will cut a few unused features to bring the price down, and also offer a prosumer version of Final Cut that comes in at half or a third of Final Cut Pro's price.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    What a bizarre article. AI posted a story earlier in the week with no sources, people freaked out about it, then apple denied it.

Instead of AI just admitting that apple says they're wrong, we get this odd waffling thing that tries to throw blame around and somehow spin the original post as somehow right?

Disappointing that AI doesn't have the stones to just admit when you made a mistake and correct it.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Don't you think the name of this article ought to be "Apple flatly denies our thinly sourced rumor about dumbing down FCP" rather than "Professional Final Cut Pro users worried about upcoming changes"?

Or maybe "Some people on the web react to our patently untrue story about dumbing down FCP, the refutation of which we're just going to kinda slip in while still talking about users 'worrying' about the false things we previously said, the net effect of which is to make us seem simultaneously duplicitous and possibly insane"?

Really guys, a retraction and "we regret the error" would be more appropriate.

But phony or panicky sounding headlines generate more web traffic, which is ultimately more important than credibility, right?
  • Reply 35 of 40
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Yeah. Don't get where these iMovie comparisons are coming from. Just because the guy who wrote iMovie is in charge doesn't mean that he is going to turn final cut in to imovie. Quite a stretch. I'm happy they have a real UI designer involved. FCP isn't that bad looking but it is starting to get dated and there is some quirkiness to the UI that could be made more intuitive (like Logic).

I'm glad to hear this was much ado about nothing. However...

Some of the staff from iPhoto were moved to the Aperture team, and Aperture 3 release got a bunch of consumer-type iPhoto features (faces & places) in the next release. Based on that (very recent) history, I don't know that it's "quite a stretch" at all.

Regardless, it's nice to see Apple still has pro commitments to their pro apps, if only because it makes me feel better about the future of Logic.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Any word on the new desktop Mac Pro with 12 cores? I am holding out to replace my G5 dinosaur. I run FCP v7 on a laptop, but need a desktop.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Some of the staff from iPhoto were moved to the Aperture team, and Aperture 3 release got a bunch of consumer-type iPhoto features (faces & places) in the next release. Based on that (very recent) history, I don't know that it's "quite a stretch" at all.

Coming soon in FCP8 - automatic organizing of footage synced with your kids' soccer schedules!

Seriously though, on the subject of Apple dissing pro users, I wish they would stop neglecting the Mac Pro - the top end iMac costs $500 LESS than the low end MP yet has a comparable processor and graphics card, more RAM, and bigger hard drive. Oh, and a 27" screen. I'd love to replace my PC desktop with a well specced, semi-affordable Mac tower.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    As a Final Cut Express customer, I'm more interested in hearing why that poduct (Which actually is pitched at Prosumers) has to all intents and purposes been deprecated as 2007 code, yet is still made available. I'm hoping that they're prepping a Cocoa replacement to launch alongside Cocoa Final Cut Pro (Studio). But I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Well...

You are obviously joking, but there have been a lot of recent additions to the iPhone OS frameworks and APIs in this area. These provide capabilities far beyond what are needed to just "consume" data.

So, something, likely, is going on in this area, or why add the capability?

There already are a couple of iPhone/iPad apps that allow basic photo and video manipulation-- even one that can stitch together photos into a panorama.

The iPad, through its Camera Connection Kit can input input from a camera/videoCam (including the iPhone) or SD card.

There is a use for certain types of ad hoc photo or video manipulation, where the immediacy is more important than "professional" result.

One example. would be a photo, or video clip of a play in a sports event-- a stolen base, a pick and roll, juking an opponent in football or soccer. Capture the photo/clip with a camera, then a few seconds/minutes later bring it up on the iPad. Where you can tele-strate it. Frame-by-frame, zoom in/out, highlight players, etc.

You already can do the frame-by-frame and zoom in/out... highlighting and tele-strating are not a real stretch.

What if you manually highlighted a player in a clip, and automatically tracked his progress (moved the highlight) as the play evolved?

We aren't talking about the "Great American Movie" here! Rather, some perishable video that has a valuable use at the moment (a time out, the locker room at half-time).

There are similar uses for instant gratification (post processing) in the medical and educational fields... maybe even video production, at a shoot!

I've mentioned this several times in the past, but some of the perplexing UI decisions on iMovie '08 make more sense if you imagine Apple moving toward a touch implementation.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    As a new user to FCS (for the last year) I think that alot of these things apple is doing are overdue. I mean, FCP's interface is in need for a drastic makeover. It kinda feels like Windows XP interfaces and does not mesh well with the rest of the mac interface. I trust that Apple can refresh the suite with cocoa, 64 bit, clean up the UI, and refine all the tweaks while maintaining all AND adding new features.

I mean its sad when "lazy" adobe has the dock icons using the status bar indicators and apples own product does not. When reading between the lines of the first AI post I interpreted that they are going to bring FCS to 2010, not cripple it.