Apple's latest iPhone OS 4 beta adds customizable user dictionary

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 43
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post


    Anyone else getting this warning with AI?



    no surprises there. member email addresses, mine included, were compromised on the 16th or 17th. so it's no stretch to think other parts of the domain have been compromised.



    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=109618
  • Reply 22 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post


    Nope, my list as as follows (forgive the lack of using the proper alphabets...):[list]



    Then you are in luck. British English is indeed in v4.0, though many will surely miss it as it's 4th from the bottom sandwiched between Bahasa Melayu (Thailand) and CatalÃ* (Catalonia). There are a total of 34 choices under Setting » General » International » Language.



    That looks to be 4 more languages over v3.x. Anyone want to figure out the other 3?
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Users will be able to add and edit their own words to the iPhone's dictionary when Apple delivers the iPhone OS 4 software upgrade to the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS this summer.



    One of the many minor features set to be added to the iPhone in the latest upgrade was revealed Wednesday by Gizmodo. The custom dictionary will allow users to add their own words and unique spellings, and will automatically recommend those words as users type them.



    The new option, "Edit User Dictionary," can be found in the Keyboard section of the handsets Settings application in beta 4 of iPhone OS 4. There, users can press the plus button and add their own words.



    This will allow users to bypass the "learning" feature found in previous versions of the iPhone OS, where the software will remember when the user chooses to discard a recommended spelling from the built-in dictionary.



    When iPhone OS 4 was formally announced in April, Apple highlighted seven major features in the operating system upgrade. It also noted that the update would pack in more than 100 minor features, but did not go into detail on them.







    As new betas of the iPhone OS have trickled out -- including the fourth release this week -- various new features have been added. Beta 4 includes the ability to view photo camera rolls in landscape, new wallpaper images, an option to turn off MMS messaging, and even suggested that Internet tethering with AT&T could be a part of the new release.



    Thank god,



    I was so tired of typing "What the duck are we gonna do" or "Duck that" all the time.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    stuffestuffe Posts: 391member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Then you are in luck. British English is indeed in v4.0, though many will surely miss it as it's 4th from the bottom sandwiched between Bahasa Melayu (Thailand) and CatalÃ* (Catalonia). There are a total of 34 choices under Setting » General » International » Language.



    Excellent, cheers for clearing that up - very pleased. Out of interest, is the main one still "English" or is it now US or American English. I'm guessing Apple have appropriated the mother tongue, leaving us poor Englishmen to be reduced to a mere dialect...
  • Reply 25 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post


    Excellent, cheers for clearing that up - very pleased. Out of interest, is the main one still "English" or is it now US or American English. I'm guessing Apple have appropriated the mother tongue, leaving us poor Englishmen to be reduced to a mere dialect...



    It only lists it as English. Only in Voice Control and Keyboard to they specify US. I wonder if UK iPhones will default to British English.



    BTW, can you post screenshoots of the languages. I'd like to figure what was added and can't find these images online already.



    edit: Never mind, the reason British English is forth from the bottom is because it's the first of the four new languages added to v4.0. The other three are: CatalÃ* (Catalonian), Magyar (Hungarian) and Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese).
  • Reply 26 of 43
    stuffestuffe Posts: 391member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It only lists it as English. Only in Voice Control and Keyboard to they specify US. I wonder if UK iPhones will default to British English.



    BTW, can you post screenshoots of the languages. I'd like to figure what was added and can't find these images online already.



    Cheers - sorry, I didn't see your image before posting. I'll try to post some grabs soon.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    The article also says you will be able to edit the built in dictionary, but then implies that one will only be able to add words, which isn't actually editing at all.



    Exactly. I wish I could edit the "corrections". Every time I type "im", it corrects it to IM. I would rather it correct it to I'm. I would love a truly editable dictionary.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    I'm looking forward to this. Oh wait, nevermind. Apparently my 2G can't handle this.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post


    I'm looking forward to this. Oh wait, nevermind. Apparently my 2G can't handle this.



    Screw Apple! How dare they not offer support for a phone going into it's fourth year¡
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Well considering that the 3G can handle it, and my $600 2G has pretty much the same hardware, then yes....screw Apple. I could see them not supporting it if:



    1. The hardware could not handle it..

    2. The work required to make it work on the 2G was unreasonable



    But obviously neither of these is the case since Apple is making a 4.0 version for the 3G. The extra work required to build a 2G version would be minimal. This just goes to show that Apple is doing this only to force 2G users to upgrade. If they were not making 4.0 for the 3G, then I wouldn't have reason to complain.



    Although I will admit that it worked since I am going to buy the next iPhone when it comes out.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It only lists it as English. Only in Voice Control and Keyboard to they specify US. I wonder if UK iPhones will default to British English. ...



    This is indeed good news that they have decided to include it at all, although if rumours are true the iPad won't get 4.0 until the fall, so it will be fairly useless for writing until then.



    If Apple does what it does with it's desktop OS, the names will eventually be changed to "English US" and "English UK" just for the sake of clarity. There are many more variants of English of course, but these are number 2 and number 1 respectively and will cover the needs of at least 90% of users around the world.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    Exactly. I wish I could edit the "corrections". Every time I type "im", it corrects it to IM. I would rather it correct it to I'm. I would love a truly editable dictionary.



    Yes. This is more like a way to "create a separate list of terms that is added to the main list of terms that the auto-correct function uses" instead of a dictionary per se. it makes sense in that you don't want people editing a lot of stuff out of that built-in list and thus giving entirely different and unreliable auto-correction results. Then you'd have to include a "dictionary restore" function and it would get awfully messy and complicated.



    It's a welcome addition but I wish they would call it what it is.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post


    Well considering that the 3G can handle it, and my $600 2G has pretty much the same hardware, then yes.



    So your argument is, because they use the same CPU and RAM that Apple should support it if they are going to support to the iPhone 3G.



    That leaves two scenarios. 1) Apple should support the original iPhone for 4 years and then cut off the 3G after 3 years, thus pissing off people expecting the 4 year support precedence Apple has set. 2) Apple should support the original for 3 years and then cut off the 3G after only 2 years, thus pissing off everyone still under contract with their 3G and who were expecting 3 years of support just like the original iPhone.



    Neither of those make any sense to me. Neither does the argument that Apple can technically do a thing means that they should. I think 3 years is plenty of time for supporting a phone with rich, free updates. How many other phones have come close to offering 3 years of rich updates at the time their newer phones come out? I can't think of a single example.



    Quote:

    This just goes to show that Apple is doing this only to force 2G users to upgrade.



    That doesn't make any sense. If they wanted to force you to update then they would do what every other handset vendor has done, make it about the HW, not the OS. Note that you're complaining that 3 years isn't long enough and making an over-simplfied statement that the ARM CPU and same amount of RAM makes it as easy and cost effective to support as the 3G. Note how many more iPhone 3Gs have been sold than the original iPhone, including the sales over this past year. It makes no sense to support on so many levels. Is it about money? Absolutely, but not in the silly "conspiracy theorist" scenario you've presented.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    thespazthespaz Posts: 71member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    Exactly. I wish I could edit the "corrections". Every time I type "im", it corrects it to IM. I would rather it correct it to I'm. I would love a truly editable dictionary.



    You probably have someone in your address book with "IM" in the name because the iPhone will always correct im into I'm.



    By the way... I'm on 2.2.1 and my iPhone always says the f-word even when I type it wrong. It must have learned it on it's own.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    @ thespaz,



    I'd be saying [email protected]#k a lot if I was still on v2.x. Why haven't you upgraded?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Wow, this is great news. This is major feature to me, not a minor one. I don't care what anyone says, the "learning" system currently in place with auto correct does not work 100%. It forgets my choices and preferences often. Cannot wait to add the 2 dozen or so words that I use often, that the iPhone doesn't like.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thespaz View Post


    You probably have someone in your address book with "IM" in the name because the iPhone will always correct im into I'm.



    By the way... I'm on 2.2.1 and my iPhone always says the f-word even when I type it wrong. It must have learned it on it's own.



    I think it is because you're on 2.2.1. I remember my original iPhone USED to correct "im" to I'm, but there was a point (ver 3.0?) where it started correcting it to IM. I have no one in my contacts named IM.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    So your argument is, because they use the same CPU and RAM that Apple should support it if they are going to support to the iPhone 3G.



    That leaves two scenarios. 1) Apple should support the original iPhone for 4 years and then cut off the 3G after 3 years, thus pissing off people expecting the 4 year support precedence Apple has set. 2) Apple should support the original for 3 years and then cut off the 3G after only 2 years, thus pissing off everyone still under contract with their 3G and who were expecting 3 years of support just like the original iPhone.



    Neither of those make any sense to me. Neither does the argument that Apple can technically do a thing means that they should. I think 3 years is plenty of time for supporting a phone with rich, free updates. How many other phones have come close to offering 3 years of rich updates at the time their newer phones come out? I can't think of a single example.





    That doesn't make any sense. If they wanted to force you to update then they would do what every other handset vendor has done, make it about the HW, not the OS. Note that you're complaining that 3 years isn't long enough and making an over-simplfied statement that the ARM CPU and same amount of RAM makes it as easy and cost effective to support as the 3G. Note how many more iPhone 3Gs have been sold than the original iPhone, including the sales over this past year. It makes no sense to support on so many levels. Is it about money? Absolutely, but not in the silly "conspiracy theorist" scenario you've presented.



    So your defense is based on what time frame YOU THINK is good enough?



    Ann even you said yourself that Apple precedence is 4 years support. So I don't understand the issue.



    Moreover, it's naive to think that support for old devices wouldn't cannibalize future hardware sales. That's not a conspiracy theory. It's business fact. I'm not faulting Apple if they are doing it for this reason. I would too. BUt it doesn't mean I have to like it.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It only lists it as English. Only in Voice Control and Keyboard to they specify US. I wonder if UK iPhones will default to British English.



    I changed the language to British English and the Voice Control shows as Australian English as that's where I am!
  • Reply 40 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lionelhuts View Post


    So your defense is based on what time frame YOU THINK is good enough?



    Yes, I think 3 years is fine since NO ONE ELSE COMES CLOSE.



    Quote:

    Ann[sic] even you said yourself that Apple precedence is 4 years support. So I don't understand the issue.



    No I didn't!



    Quote:

    Moreover, it's naive to think that support for old devices wouldn't cannibalize future hardware sales. That's not a conspiracy theory. It's business fact. I'm not faulting Apple if they are doing it for this reason. I would too. BUt it doesn't mean I have to like it.



    I never said it wouldn't hurt sales to some degree. I said your argument and conspiracy theory are flawed and silly because if that was their primary then why support the G1 iPhone for 3 years. Why not make it two, which is still better than everyone else. Or how about offer no rich updates, like vendors have been doing for years, just some bug fixes. Of course, you just conceived what you thought the first two iPhones were the exact same device sans a 3G radio and decided Apple was screwing you so why would actually think it through logically.
Sign In or Register to comment.