iPad 3G remains completely sold out at US Apple retail stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonygoodchild View Post

Where are you located? I have been into 20 best buy stores while travelling in NY, NJ and CA this week and not a single iPad to be had!

Been on 'Notify me' list for almost 2 weeks with no notification from Apple. Friend ordered on line and received his in 10 days. Looks as though U.S. supply (In Apple Stores ) will not be back till after international launch.

Every company should have Apples problem of not being able to meet demand.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

Is the iPad really that great or is it an OK product backed by a lot of hype?

The iPad certainly has a lot of hype going for it, as well as the cool factor. I am very happy that Apple is having success with it as I am a fan of (most) Apple products and I wish them well.

But I would still maintain that a device whose killer app is surfing the web is hobbled by the fact it wont support Adobe's flash player, making a lot of websites unreadable on the device.

Most of the conversation I overhear about it refers to it laughingly as a large iPhone that can't make phone calls. Of course we laughingly refer to the iPhone the same way due to the exclusive cell providers spotty coverage in our area.

Personally I don't have one and will not get one. The simple fact that it is chained to AT&T's network makes it useless to me as a portable device.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Just yesterday a survey of iPad owners found that 91% were satisfied with their iPad (74% were VERY satisfied), and just 2% were not satisfied (the rest had no opinion).

That kind of says the iPad is pretty good, don't you think?
  • Reply 24 of 47
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Personally I don't have one and will not get one. The simple fact that it is chained to AT&T's network makes it useless to me as a portable device.

imo this is going to changed soon
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

I made a special trip to my local Best Buy to answer that exact question. And I can attest to the fact that it truly is a fantastic product!
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

imo this is going to changed soon

Nothing would please me more. But I think if it was going to happen, it would have happened with the iPad when it was announced. Instead they designed the thing with a microsim card that only AT&T uses. We'll see.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Just yesterday a survey of iPad owners found that 91% were satisfied with their iPad (74% were VERY satisfied), and just 2% were not satisfied (the rest had no opinion).

That kind of says the iPad is pretty good, don't you think?

Obviously the respondents to the survey had their brains soaked with hype and weren't thinking straight.

I buy products because they are good. You buy them because you are easily swayed by hype.

Logic for every occasion.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I have actually purchased one yet but have "played" - oops evaluated one in the Apple store. I must say I'm very impressed with the unit especially it's mechanical quality. After a bit of usage you quickly become impressed with just how well the thing operates with that little ARM processor.

Quote:

So to answer your question directly it is far more than an OK product. Like all products it has shortcomings that may or may not be important to you. For example:
    1. The iPad could really use more RAM in my estimation.

2. Likewise a USB port would come in handy. The thing here is to support web cams. I have a hardtime believing a built in web cam would lead to a positive user experience due to it never being pointed in the right direction. Thus a USB port supporting detached web cams would be fantastic.

3. I was not overwhelmed by the speakers. Obviously the primary intent is for the user to use headphones.

4. While the iPad is an excellent little machine it is not ideal for HD and wider ratios. I'm still of the opinion that an iPad like device with a screen optimized for movies and HDTV would be very desirable. Basically a wide screen iPad.

Now people could argue about this list for ages and add their own pet peeves but the reality is you will be impressed once you have the device in hand. I have been repeatedly and the only thing keeping me away is the coming iPhone rev.

Honestly the iPad has me thinking that maybe the 3G model is a better use of my funds than another iPhone. In many ways it is a better device for mobile web access with the one big short coming being that it doesn't fit your pocket.

In the end a products greatness depends upon how it fits your specific needs. So go check one out.

Dave
  • Reply 29 of 47
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

The iPad certainly has a lot of hype going for it, as well as the cool factor. I am very happy that Apple is having success with it as I am a fan of (most) Apple products and I wish them well.

But I would still maintain that a device whose killer app is surfing the web is hobbled by the fact it wont support Adobe's flash player, making a lot of websites unreadable on the device.

Who declared surfing the web to be iPads killer app? As far as I'm concerned that app hasn't been written yet.

As to Flash, install Click to Flash and you will quickly realize that the web is a better place without Flash!

Quote:

Most of the conversation I overhear about it refers to it laughingly as a large iPhone that can't make phone calls. Of course we laughingly refer to the iPhone the same way due to the exclusive cell providers spotty coverage in our area.

Actually it is more of a large iPod Touch in functionality. Same Idea I guess. Honestly though that is exactly what makes iPad great, it doesn't even try to be another spin on a laptop.

Quote:

this is so wrong as to be pathetic and misleading. Apple is selling the iPad unlocked, you can connect it to any GSM network you want that works on the standard frequencies. Your statement at best is trollish and at worst the ramblings of an uninformed mind. IPads unlocked nature is one of Apples best moves with the product.

As to supporting multiple radios for other 3G networks that could happen in the near future. However I think it is a stretch to believe that another provider guarrantees that everybody instantly gets better coverage. On top of all that the majority of iPads sold are WiFi only which means things like MiFi can enable the device on any network.

Dave
  • Reply 30 of 47
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    1. The iPad could really use more RAM in my estimation.

2. Likewise a USB port would come in handy. The thing here is to support web cams. I have a hardtime believing a built in web cam would lead to a positive user experience due to it never being pointed in the right direction. Thus a USB port supporting detached web cams would be fantastic.

3. I was not overwhelmed by the speakers. Obviously the primary intent is for the user to use headphones.

4. While the iPad is an excellent little machine it is not ideal for HD and wider ratios. I'm still of the opinion that an iPad like device with a screen optimized for movies and HDTV would be very desirable. Basically a wide screen iPad.

What would you think about the quantity of RAM if you didn't know how much it had? Isn't this a matter of geek expectations trumping reality?

Maybe on the USB port, but the OS would need to support a wide variety of attached devices or users would become frustrated and disappointed with every USB device that didn't work, or failed to work properly. Apple made the decision to keep it simple and make everything that does work, work smoothly (such as cameras through the camera kit). At this point, it's hard to argue with that thinking, on a reality of use basis.

I'm surprised anyone comments on the speakers. What can you seriously expect from a device this thin?

The aspect ratio debate goes on and on, but what I'd suggest is actually spending some time using the iPad and determining whether Apple made the right or wrong decision on the aspect ratio based on a variety of uses. In the scheme of things, letter-boxed widescreen movies are of little consequence when you consider the iPad's other uses and what ratio makes the most sense for those.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

this is so wrong as to be pathetic and misleading. Apple is selling the iPad unlocked, you can connect it to any GSM network you want that works on the standard frequencies. Your statement at best is trollish and at worst the ramblings of an uninformed mind. IPads unlocked nature is one of Apples best moves with the product.

Dave

As long as I live I will never understand the logic of certain AI forum posters. I don't get a good signal from AT&T where I live and work. Why the heck does that make me a troll?

As far as connecting to any GSM network, I don't know what you are talking about. From everything I have read here, the only way to use an iPad without AT&T is to take a T-Mobile sim card, cut it to fit with a razor blade, and surf at Edge speeds.

My original post was a reply to troberts question whether an iPad was an OK product or really that great. To my rambling uninformed mind, spending five hundred bucks on a device to surf at edge speed only to sites that don't support flash doesn't make for an OK product in my mind.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Had to use my netbook last night since I didn't know I could use Screen with iSSH to do some work on our server. Boy... it is awful. Every complaint I have with the iPad is easily offset compared to the total user experience of the netbook. I really do hope Apple makes some drastic (and prompt) improvements on the WiFi and file system access, and I can't imagine how they could have actually made the auto-correction worse than the iPhone...

But hey... that's just me.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    For those tired of waiting, why not order from Apple direct?

Apple shipped my 3G a week earlier than my order showed at purchase. Apple has beat the estimated ship date on everything I have ordered over the past 2 years. It beats the heck out of wasting my time at Best Buy.

Maybe I'm lucky?
  • Reply 34 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElmCityWeb View Post

Great, just when I start to think about gifting my wifi iPad and getting a 3G, there's none to be found.

Now I have time to think about it, thanks for ruining my impulse buy, Apple.

Buy a JooJoo.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Can't find a 3g model? Buy one online and if you happen to find one sooner than it arrives by mail, return the online ordered iPad when it arrives. Don't open it to avoid a restocking fee.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well if troberts above is correct, perhaps you don't really want one you are a victim of hype! On the other hand as you already own a wifi one and want another one with 3G perhaps you should answer him directly

It is pure Hype!

Apple just loves producing an unfinished, so-so product only to watch the so called tech competition wannabes spend bundles of R&D dollars and scramble to come out with their lemming version shortly thereafter and produce a tech spec sheet with an item or two better than Apple's so they can say, 'See, ours is better!'

Among the victims Steve Jobs just loves watching, Google with their Android, Palm with Android, HP, nixes the MS Slate, with their acquisition of Palm WebOS and MS will make a 180 from their previous comments and produce their version as well... Eventually! --- And all over HYPE! --- Nothing but pure Hype!!

Yep, Steve Jobs is having a good laugh right about now. --- The man is sick I tell you! --- SICK!!
  • Reply 37 of 47
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

What would you think about the quantity of RAM if you didn't know how much it had? Isn't this a matter of geek expectations trumping reality?

Totally valid point ? since the next iPhone (supposedly) will have twice as much RAM as an iPad, it will clearly benefit from the extra RAM. And most likely, the next iPad will match the next iPhone in specs.

Gizmodo's iPhone leak killed an iPad sale to me, for at least a year. Although I might get an iPhone instead.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Perhaps I'm alone on this, but until Adobe can actually put Flash to majority of the ARM-based devices being sold and can do so without a negative result to the UX then the entire "Apple won't support Flash" argument is null and void.

I'd argue that it's because of Apple taking a stance against Flash Lite's anemic capabilities and Adobe's complacency with Flash for Macs and mobiles for so many years that we even have a Beta of Flash 10.1 for one Beta version of one mobile OS that is still not publicly available. Apple has forced Adobe to "fix" Flash, not delay it.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The thing I have noticed in the case of BestBuy VS AppleStore is Applestores received a constant stream of small shipments on a daily basis while Bestbuys tend to received large shipments weekly. So if your lucky your local Bestbuy may have just received some. I recommend buying over the phone and do a pickup to make sure you have one.

I think that's probably right.

I've been stuck with using Best Buy though, since I've got a bunch of Best Buy vouchers at the moment. I actually went to my local store this lunchtime, since the website suggested they had some, and when I got there they had sold out, but they have started doing a waiting list.

Now, if I had my druthers, I would just order on-line from Apple - seems like the surest way to get one, but if you don't want to buy from Apple, I'd see if your local Best Buy is doing a waiting list. I'd say I'm probably 7th on the list, and the chap told me the wait would be no more than a week.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

it has sold 1 million plus units with increased demand by folks that are willing to wait 1-2 weeks to get one. And that's just in the US.

There are several colleges trying to arrange to give ipads to at least their uncoming students if not all of them, hospitals ordering them for their staff, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinite_entropy View Post

I wish they'd get them in stock... been calling every day.

Why are you calling when they will put you on the list and send you an email. they have been doing it since like 2 days after the wifi ones went on sale (despite Gene trying to make it sound like a new thing)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Perhaps I'm alone on this, but until Adobe can actually put Flash to majority of the ARM-based devices being sold and can do so without a negative result to the UX then the entire "Apple won't support Flash" argument is null and void..

Agreed. and I don't even need the majority. give me ONE mobile device that is running Flash (not Flash lite but the real thing) for more than one minute with no crashes, no overheating, no 10% battery drop in 10 seconds etc.

Then they can take about how Jobs is off his head with his hate talk etc.

Although a number of sites are Apping up or going to HTML5 so it could be moot by the time Adobe can pull it off.

Heck, you know how Google has been all "we love Adobe" and "Flash is awesome". anyone check out their playable pacman logo today. pulled up just fine on my ipad so I'm betting it's not Flash.