AT&T to increase iPhone contract early termination fee to $325

Comments

• Reply 61 of 136
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Yes indeed that is me. I would have answered sooner but I'm in Fairlawn and had no signal.

I don't mean any disrespect, but that actually made me chuckle for a sec. I do, however, sympathize with your situation.

Quote:

My contract is up this July and I have to jump ship. If apple is going to partner with verizon they had better hurry. Or else I will see you in two years when my new contract expires.

Well, I hate to see a fellow iPhone user jump ship because of network issues. Here's to hoping Verizon get's the iPhone in time for you to stay an iPhone user.
  • Reply 62 of 136
    Quote:

Yes indeed that is me. I would have answered sooner but I'm in Fairlawn and had no signal. I paid $299 for mine plus whatever portion of my monthly payments go towards the subsidy. I believe the 16 gig 3G model cost about $700 when the dust was all settled.

My contract is up this July and I have to jump ship. If apple is going to partner with verizon they had better hurry. Or else I will see you in two years when my new contract expires.

Off topic, but do you use Mark the Spot to let them know where the service fails? Just curious, not defending. Sucks that you have to go to Verizon. They are more expensive, generally.
  • Reply 63 of 136
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    I will be so glad if/when the iPhone makes it to Verizon.

AT&T Service is Excellent for me everywhere I have been.

ATL, NY , FLA , TN , Trinidad and Tobago , London

I will gladly sign a 2 Year contract when the new iPhone is released.

I see no reason to pay Full price when either way

Im going to pay the same amount every month.

The early termination fee doesnt bother me at all.

Verizon and AT&T both charge it.

YOU cant expect to sign a CONTRACT and then get out of it for free.
  • Reply 64 of 136
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I don't mean any disrespect, but that actually made me chuckle for a sec. I do, however, sympathize with your situation.

Well, I hate to see a fellow iPhone user jump ship because of network issues. Here's to hoping Verizon get's the iPhone in time for you to stay an iPhone user.

Thank you for your good wishes.
  • Reply 65 of 136
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Ouch, $325. Makes me happy I'm on pay as you go. When I get a 3GS some time 4G comes out I'll make sure its unlocked and will keep T-Mo as my provider.
  • Reply 66 of 136
    pabolitopabolito Posts: 1member
    Could the increase in fees be needed to offset a higher fee AT&T is paying to Apple to subsidize the new iPhoneHD? So if people sign up to get iPhoneHD and they just take the phone and pay the ETF AT&T does not lose a ton of money?
  • Reply 67 of 136
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

You don't need to quote the whole flipping article -- it's right there in the first post.

That being said, I think this is another indication that Verizon is getting the iPhone.

Bingo!
  • Reply 68 of 136
    elearnelearn Posts: 18member
    I cancelled my AT&T iPhone (2.5G) account when I got my iPad 3G. I got a Verizon mifi with unlimited consumption for $79 a month. With mifi I get to tether my MacBook pro (it supports up to 5 devices) too. Add Skype and I'm better off.

Get creative & exercise your right to choose. Dump AT&T and stick it to the man.

Sent from my iPad.
  • Reply 69 of 136
    rmm221rmm221 Posts: 29member
    The rise in the termination fee isn't that big of deal... I'm sure AT&T is paying apple $600 for the new IPHONE. Then they charge the customer $199 plus 2 year contract...

So DO THE MATH...

AT&T is actually EATING $400! And then charging you less than the cost of the actual IPHONE to cancel... you get to KEEP the PHONE... It's not like you can use the AT&T GSM Iphone on the Verizon CDMA network.. duh!

So you sell your slightly used $600 phone on ebay... and at the very least recoup your $375 termination fee.. and probably make a profit if you sell it early enough after the release this summer.

So yeah... quit whining and do some MATH!
  • Reply 70 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rind View Post

I will be so glad if/when the iPhone makes it to Verizon.

AT&T Service is Excellent for me everywhere I have been.

ATL, NY , FLA , TN , Trinidad and Tobago , London

I will gladly sign a 2 Year contract when the new iPhone is released.

I see no reason to pay Full price when either way

Im going to pay the same amount every month.

The early termination fee doesnt bother me at all.

Verizon and AT&T both charge it.

YOU cant expect to sign a CONTRACT and then get out of it for free.

My pal Sari has an iPhone in Austria. She gets more from her iPhone and service provider there than I got with AT&T and my iPhone here. There are vast (populated) areas in west and north Texas (Amarillo and Gainesville) where AT&T's got nothing. Ditto for where I work in Washington D.C., few blocks from the White House. Why is AT&T charging a $325 termination fee for smart phones? Because we let them.
  • Reply 71 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmm221 View Post

The rise in the termination fee isn't that big of deal... I'm sure AT&T is paying apple $600 for the new IPHONE. Then they charge the customer $199 plus 2 year contract...

So DO THE MATH...

AT&T is actually EATING $400! And then charging you less than the cost of the actual IPHONE to cancel... you get to KEEP the PHONE... It's not like you can use the AT&T GSM Iphone on the Verizon CDMA network.. duh!

So you sell your slightly used $600 phone on ebay... and at the very least recoup your $375 termination fee.. and probably make a profit if you sell it early enough after the release this summer.

I don't own any AT&T stock. It matters to me not one little bit that their business model sucks and they have to do this to make ends meet. I got my iPhone when they first came out because of the excellent iPhone and Mac integration. It was never because of AT&T. They can eat cake (or something significantly less palatable) for all I care. Check out the iPad and Verizon's mifi. Yeah, they got a high termination fee like AT&T. They also got something AT&T doesn't have: features (like tethering and a HUGE service area) too.
  • Reply 72 of 136
    coolcatcoolcat Posts: 156member
    Punk assed AT&T is shitting bricks about losing customers to Verizon if/when they get the iPhone. How much you wanna bet this increased EFT WON'T go for infrastructure upgrades like all the rest of the bullshit fee's they already impose?
  • Reply 73 of 136
    cherrypopcherrypop Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Right, this makes sense ???? - Because AT&T raised their ETF to $325 your going to jump to a carrier whose ETF is $350. Your the kind of customer that Verison likes - unaware.

That's flawed logic.

There are plenty of customers who will flee AT$T at the first opportunity. Many of whom left Verizon for the iPhone, and will be thrilled to return.
  • Reply 74 of 136
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    MagicJack, a spare cheap Mac laptop or a Mini with screen, a cordless phone. High speed net connection. Call forwarding.

plus a cheap pay as you go cell phone.

$20 a year plus any minutes you foolishly use on the cell.

or

MetroPCS cell $45 a month unlimited voice and text.

Why pay more?
  • Reply 75 of 136
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    A quick bit for everyone about contract law in the US -

Penalties are not enforceable in consumer contracts. Period.

If one party breaches the contract, the other party is only entitled to be made whole, not to profit from the breach. This is why ETFs are now prorated based on the amount of time left in the contract. As far as we know, AT&T pays about $400 to subsidize each new iPhone, so they're still out $75 if you cancel it right away. $325 is pretty reasonable if you ask me. It's about them recovering part of what they invested in you as a customer. And as they recoup the subsidy, it costs you less to get out of the contract. It seems fair to me. Why should you be able to dupe them into paying for your equipment and run off with it?

Also, AT&T is a publicly traded company. You're more stealing from shareholders than executives. How many 401ks have an interest in AT&T? Easily hundreds of thousands.

And you call them evil because your parents didn't have the decency to teach you that the world doesn't owe you anything.

Keep being upset that you can't steal from the "evil" corporation. Some people's kids...
  • Reply 76 of 136
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    I have been with several cell providers. They all suck one way or another. I spend 95% of my time within an AT&T 3G connection. I have maybe one dropped call a month. Calls are less important to me than a good internet connection and they have a fast network.

I'm sticking with AT&T and getting a new 2 year contract when I buy my wife and I new iPhones next month.

Yeah, they're criminals, but they all are imo.
  • Reply 77 of 136
    ndende Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmm221 View Post

So DO THE MATH...

If that's the case, I will be glad to pay $800 or even $1000 for an iphone up front with no contract. 2 Years contract is just stupid.
  • Reply 78 of 136
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

If the ETFs are required for the company to recoup subsidy costs of your phone, then why does the cost of your contract not decrease after two years? Or if you buy an unsubsidized phone, why do you still need to pay that rate? And why can't I buy an unsubsidized iPhone and get a month to month contract with AT&T? Oh, yeah, that's just MORE profit for them then.

I agree:

Price Should Drop + Phone should be Unlocked after 2 years Contract

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

..and why aren't phones automatically unlocked after the contract expires. You have paid off your commitment to them. You own the phone. But are required to continue to pay them to use it.

I Agree...

With so many politicians always looking for votes and face time on TV, this would be such a popular cause for the politicians! Unless, of course, Cell Companies pay them off, so that they can divert attention!

As to VZ vs. ATT:

Even if VZ provides Simultaneous Voice and Data on the latest Revision of CDMA, I'd still would like Carry-Over Minutes! It pisses me off that Verizon doesn't have them, and ATT does. It's my minutes, and it should be up to me when I use it! Think of a restaurant:

You pay for your food, and, if you want to finish it later, they'll wrap it up for you - a "doggie bag" to take home! That's how it works in US. I don't know if they have that concept in other countries! How stupid it would be if the restaurant told you:

Eat your food here, now, in front of us, before we close for the night, or we'll through it out! We won't let you take it home!

In US, any restaurant like that would be shamed in the media, and it would be forced to change their policy, or be driven out of business! Yet, Verizon does exactly that - no "doggie bags", no Carry-Over minutes! And, because of ATT's alleged more frequent drop calls, Verizon is portrayed as some Nobel Savior?! How naive?!

ATT 3G is currently faster and will get even faster, supposedly this year! As long as they don't do away with their Carry-over Minutes, it makes sense for MYSELF to choose them, as I will leave Verizon for the New iPhone soon, my 1st one, can't wait! But...

If VZ provides Simultaneous Voice and Data, and iPhone that I don't have to wait for another 6 months, then it would be a harder choice:

Supposedly better Coverage vs. Carry Over Minutes! Who wants to have no Coverage in the middle of nowhere during the night while driving! In an accident, or flat tire, bad weather - can't use phone!!! But then again: pick you poison -- both VZ and ATT have holes in their maps, thus it's a Russian Roulette - it depends on a location!

Like it was said earlier - all Cell Carriers stink in some ways!

Luckily we have Apple that is shaking up that whole Cell Industry and more! Google is trying to play it's politics with Android, as is RIM, and MSFT! The carriers pin phone OS's against each other, to divert attention from their greed, masked in all those accounting tricks! We all get screwed! Thus I don't buy it that VZ is a Nobel Savior for We The People! That's BS!!!!

Carry Over Minutes seems like a FAIR REQUEST to me! Please keep it ATT, and VZ should provide that too! SMS is overpriced everywhere!

I hear that Incoming Calls are Free in other countries but US.... I guess in those countries the Carriers find a different method for charging fees! No Free Ride anywhere!

Same with Dropping Price and Unlocking after 2 years Contracts! I'd love to see politicians read this Thread, and represent us!!! Death Penalty for Rubber Necking (US slang for slowing down car traffic to see an accident) could be another easy winning issue in any election! But, as I said -- politicians have to choose between donations and voters! Their own job security supersedes public's interest, no matter what they say! That's not how it's supposed to be, but that's how it is...

Can you hear me know !?
  • Reply 79 of 136
    fkayfkay Posts: 1member
    Where has the consumer found themselves amongst these communication mafias? You cannot leave these companies, else they'll have to kill you, and they do so with a termination fee.

$550 for many people puts food on the table for poor starving families. That's also a year's worth of the outrageous fee AT&T charges for their service. We've come to live with these brutal methods of forced service. Yet since no one says anything, these phone corporations will keep on raping its consumers.

I have seen that many people here have accepted these new rates. Either because it does not affect them or they have no choice. This fee in no way helps the consumer. It does not provide them with better service. There is nothing positive about this new fee, yet we're all okay with it, because again, we have no choice. It's sad, yet what can we do about it?

It's not a play fair attribute. If you want to keep your customers, why not offer them superb service and fair rates, vs a contract. A contract made ONLY to benefit AT&T. This new termination fee is a big joke. How dare any consumer here defend the company's actions in taking such actions to include a higher termination fee without giving the consumer a break in the monthly service fee which is already expensive.
  • Reply 80 of 136
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Not in the US, so personally unaffected... but I guess it is time for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju3h7yk4Hcg