HTC Incredible. Whoa. The iPhone killer for real?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Wow, great specs.

Pesonally, it would be great if iPhone HD would have a 8.0 megapixel camera, but sort of doubtful for this year. I am a web developer but don't see the need to running flash on my iPhone. it would be nice on the iPad but yeah I have always had trouble with flash stability.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Except for wired companies have been doing the exact same sort of upgrades and haven't been able to pass on additional costs for the additional capacity. Wireless companies are facing plenty of pressure from prepaid companies to keep costs lower. Data is the closest thing they have to some price control right now. I'm not saying they will, but speculation is speculation regardless of your rationales for dismissing some folks.

90% of the US telecommunications history was dominated by one company who controlled everything. There was little reason for them to pass additional costs on to consumers.

Verizon and AT&T are growing faster than every other mobile company. Prepaid carriers are feeling pressure from Verizon and AT&T, that is the reason they keep lowering their prices.

The US mobile market is nearly fully saturated. Very soon the carriers will no longer be able to use subscriber growth to generate revenue every quarter. They have to find something else. That something else will be data. That is the reason why Verizon has mandated all of its most popular phones have to have data plans. Why Verizon's newest phones all require data plans.

Quote:

Actually it doesn't because Apple felt the need to add the feature and again, Blackberry with multitasking still outsells Apple without multitasking. Focusing on one models that had some growing pains doesn't negate the fact that Blackberry still outsells Apple to this day and you can bet the quarter in which they finally pass RIM will be the quarter in which they have added multitasking.

Blackberry sales have nothing to do with multitasking and you know that. No one model of Blackberry outsells the iPhone. The reasons for this have nothing to do with multitasking.

Quote:

Except the fact that just like how iPhone OS is a subset of Mac OS X, the phone version of flash will be a subset of Flash optimized for phones. Same thing.

Its not a subset of Flash, its the same Flash as on a desktop.

Quote:

Moto Droid is being offered BOGO. For some reason people knock any other manufacturers (RIM and Motorola Droid) for offering BOGO on $199 phones which equals roughly $99 a phone while applauding Apple for offering a $99 model. How are the two not the same?

No one is knocking BOGO. Its just that some people misrepresent the fact that phones that are sold as BOGO are outselling the iPhone because people like those BOGO phones better. They do not factor in that the phone is being sold as BOGO.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Breaking the Myth of Megapixels

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShredderClay View Post

Pesonally, it would be great if iPhone HD would have a 8.0 megapixel camera, but sort of doubtful for this year.

• Reply 24 of 42
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Teno,

You've ignored the thread topic, dismissed all contrary information, and appear to just be making stuff up. The strange strawmen you set up to ignore the points you don't want to address are in term talked around by you later when they are addressed in addition to the initial points raised.

In short, the toll for your bridge isn't worth it. I'll continue to address the thread topic, but since you've added nothing to that topic, and simply dismiss all side points, I've no problem with ignoring you.

Enjoy....
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Now on to the thread topic....

New iPhone will have new processor and thus will be faster than Droid Incredible.

This video shows that might not be true.
    The two Android phones are running 2.2 and 2.1 and you can see 2.2 is trouncing the 2.1 device. On the far right... the iPad getting equally destroyed.

Sure this could be no different than the fabled Photoshop bakeoffs Apple used to do to show how optimizations can put the PowerPC chips ahead of Intel, but either way, Android is getting a lot faster on the exact same hardware as it had before.

Also one Steve down, one to go and the device that is making him go, Droid Incredible.

Daniel Lyons btw, is better known as Fake Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Sure this could be no different than the fabled Photoshop bakeoffs Apple used to do to show how optimizations can put the PowerPC chips ahead of Intel, but either way, Android is getting a lot faster on the exact same hardware as it had before.

That's the thing that popped into my mind when I saw this demo. The "other side" would cry foul because the test app wasn't a standard, third-party one.

I'm surprised none of the tech blogs have tried to duplicate the test. I've seen plenty of 2.2 vs 2.1 tests, but none with an iPad or iPhone involved.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    For everyone who isn't ignoring me.

Quote:

New iPhone will have new processor and thus will be faster than Droid Incredible. This video shows that might not be true.[/URL] The two Android phones are running 2.2 and 2.1 and you can see 2.2 is trouncing the 2.1 device. On the far right... the iPad getting equally destroyed.

The processor is one part of the system. As often its more complicated than this. Software optimization is more important. That's essentially what Google did they optimized the software so that it would run faster.

Android browser just received Google's newest rendering engine. Mobile Safari hasn't had a major update since June 2009. The story will be different once Mobile Safari has its next update.

Quote:

Another important fact to note. Android phones are using general purpose ARM processors. The iPhone/iPad are using custom processors that are optimized for their specific OS and software. The iPhone/iPad will likely get a lot faster with the next OS update.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    mkeathmkeath Posts: 60member
    In regards to multitasking, they both handle multitasking very similarly. Basically what happens is that the Operating system will allow the process to run in the background. In the iPhone's case, it freezes all background processing except for specific API-based services (music, location services, etc.) where in Android's case, I believe it lets the app developer to choose what happens. However, both do the same thing when system memory needs to be freed up. For apps that haven't been opened up in a while, it closes the app and saves relevant information. In the iPhone's case, it saves a snapshot of where you were where I believe android simply closes the app, saving any data that the application uses. Both are valid ways of handling multitasking. Both work equally well. Android also comes with a way of aggregating and visually displaying how much battery life your apps consume. Really this is just a preference issue for anyone trying to decide. I, personally, am going to get an Android device since I like having more control over my device. Sure I will miss the ability to sync through iTunes, but I won't miss iTunes itself since it is a horrible, terrible, atrocious piece of software on Windows. Seriously Apple, Windows users are the vast majority of your customers that use iTunes and you can't seem to ship good software for it. If Microsoft can ship a good version of Office for Mac, you can ship a good version of a fucking music player for Windows.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Actually this is a HUGE difference in philosophy. With the iPhone the app has no say over what runs in the background. The OS is completely in control and will only allow the API function to run. So that app uses nothing more than what it has to to perform that function.

Android doesn't control what parts of the app will run in the background that is entirely up to the developer. There are sloppy developers who allow their apps to waste unnecessary resources and drain the battery faster than they have to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mkeath View Post

In the iPhone's case, it freezes all background processing except for specific API-based services (music, location services, etc.) where in Android's case, I believe it lets the app developer to choose what happens.

• Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Actually this is a HUGE difference in philosophy. With the iPhone the app has no say over what runs in the background. The OS is completely in control and will only allow the API function to run. So that app uses nothing more than what it has to to perform that function.

Android doesn't control what parts of the app will run in the background that is entirely up to the developer. There are sloppy developers who allow their apps to waste unnecessary resources and drain the battery faster than they have to.

Yes that is literally what I said. Their implementations are still very similar since Android still kills processes in a similar way as the iPhone. Just because the philosophies are different doesn't mean that the implementation is WAY DIFFERENT omg.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

That's the thing that popped into my mind when I saw this demo. The "other side" would cry foul because the test app wasn't a standard, third-party one.

I'm surprised none of the tech blogs have tried to duplicate the test. I've seen plenty of 2.2 vs 2.1 tests, but none with an iPad or iPhone involved.

Well it was a browser test as well so someone ought to be able to get ahold of the link, file or whatever they were pulling up to use there.

This all might be for nil as there appear to now be shortages of the Droid Incredible that will last until the next iPhone is here.

Droid Shortages

Droid Shortages 2

Droid Incredible Playing Hard to Get, Will iPhone 4 Ruin Sales?

The last article tosses out some interesting points...

Quote:

I have not seen anything like that on market today that can beat Droid Incredible, yes even the iPhone 3GS or 4.0.

Here are my quick points, why you should buy Droid Incredible vs iPhone 4.0:

-Droid is faster when it comes to application handling and processor overall 1Ghz is quite fast for little gadget like that.

-iPhone 4.0 in less than 5 months is not going to support Flash , Droid ?Does? will.

-Android 2.2 (Froyo) release is going to make Droid Incredible UberIncredible!

-8MP camera on Droid is just awesome, in some photos I have taken in dark room I was not able to get it even with my DSLR! (Nikon 5000). iPhone will have 5MP from what we heard.

-Skype, um yeah you can use Skype on iPhone via Wi-Fi sure, but with Droid you can use it ANYWHERE!

Obviously the market TODAY is going to change very quickly with the next version of the iPhone. HTC's opportunity might get dented a bit due to these shortages.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    The shortages should be over soon since they were caused by Samsung's OLED division being unable to keep up with demand since they weren't profitable. Now that they have reported profitability, they should start producing these things like mad. They're going in tons of phones now.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    The results will prove to be very different in actual practice. That's because of the fact that iPhone apps won't be allowed to do anything outside of the API. Android has no such restrictions. Yes they do both shut down processes.

Quote:

Yes that is literally what I said. Their implementations are still very similar since Android still kills processes in a similar way as the iPhone. Just because the philosophies are different doesn't mean that the implementation is WAY DIFFERENT omg.

• Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

Well it was a browser test as well so someone ought to be able to get ahold of the link, file or whatever they were pulling up to use there.

This all might be for nil as there appear to now be shortages of the Droid Incredible that will last until the next iPhone is here.

Droid Shortages

Droid Shortages 2

Droid Incredible Playing Hard to Get, Will iPhone 4 Ruin Sales?

The last article tosses out some interesting points...

Obviously the market TODAY is going to change very quickly with the next version of the iPhone. HTC's opportunity might get dented a bit due to these shortages.

I don't think the release of the next iPhone will affect the Incredible too much. The only thing that would is if Steve annoucned the 4th generation iPhone is going to Verizon. Until then, they'll be exclusive to two different networks. The only group that would be affected are the ones who can readily jump from Verizon to AT&T.

However, the leak of the Motorola Shadow might put a dent in the Incredible sales. Both are on the same network, so if the Shadow is released before the Incredible shortage is over, you'll definitely see a bunch of impatient people switch.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I have Verizon. Getting an Incredible would be the $30/month data plus my current 10$/month voice as I'm on a family plan. That's much nicer than 70$/month from AT&T. So I started to look at the HTC Incredible. Wow! Looks like Google will be the Windows of mobiles and Apple will end up being well, the Apple, due to Apple's draconian control and closed model but more importantly an odd lack of Apple innovation lately. This HTC thing looks awesome. Just to run down the features, kind of to make sure I got them right:

I have to admit *sigh* I'm looking at the Incredible as well. Mind you, not because I want to. As discussed above, what are you (general sense) looking for? I highly value the integration with my media, calendars, contacts, etc. So much so that I've put up with really, and I mean REALLY shitty call service for a year now (I've owned all iPhone models starting from when it came out).

Unfortunately, the apple experience is losing

I can't take it anymore. If I'm talking to someone for more than 5 minutes, it's not "if" but "when" my call with drop. Friends and family hate calling me now because our calls constantly get dropped. In comparison, my wife has a work cell from TMobile, and she NEVER has a dropped call (yes, all from same location: our house).

So at this point I'm looking at TMobile and Verizon (and if Verizon, specifically the Incredible). I'm not happy about it, but at the end of the day I didn't buy my iPhone to be an iPod touch (in that respect I LOVE IT). It has to satisfy it's primary purpose: to be a phone.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:

The shortages should be over soon since they were caused by Samsung's OLED division being unable to keep up with demand since they weren't profitable. Now that they have reported profitability, they should start producing these things like mad. They're going in tons of phones now.

Well one would hope they strike while the iron is hot and manage to keep it hot. While Verizon really is annoying in some fashion, it appears pretty smart of them to attach the Droid surname to everything. People will just wandering asking for Droid and they point them to whatever they want to push or is in stock.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

I don't think the release of the next iPhone will affect the Incredible too much. The only thing that would is if Steve annoucned the 4th generation iPhone is going to Verizon. Until then, they'll be exclusive to two different networks. The only group that would be affected are the ones who can readily jump from Verizon to AT&T.

However, the leak of the Motorola Shadow might put a dent in the Incredible sales. Both are on the same network, so if the Shadow is released before the Incredible shortage is over, you'll definitely see a bunch of impatient people switch.

The Shadow seems way too large for me. That is why I haven't even batted an eye at what Sprint is offering as well. At some point these things become too big to deal with in a pocket on a daily basis.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

I have to admit *sigh* I'm looking at the Incredible as well. Mind you, not because I want to. As discussed above, what are you (general sense) looking for? I highly value the integration with my media, calendars, contacts, etc. So much so that I've put up with really, and I mean REALLY shitty call service for a year now (I've owned all iPhone models starting from when it came out).

Unfortunately, the apple experience is losing

I can't take it anymore. If I'm talking to someone for more than 5 minutes, it's not "if" but "when" my call with drop. Friends and family hate calling me now because our calls constantly get dropped. In comparison, my wife has a work cell from TMobile, and she NEVER has a dropped call (yes, all from same location: our house).

So at this point I'm looking at TMobile and Verizon (and if Verizon, specifically the Incredible). I'm not happy about it, but at the end of the day I didn't buy my iPhone to be an iPod touch (in that respect I LOVE IT). It has to satisfy it's primary purpose: to be a phone.

You could try adding to your wife's plan for cheap via Tmobile and jailbreaking. Sure the data rate would be worse but it would be $5 to share her minutes and messaging and whatever above that for data they would charge you. I'm on Tmobile and get good voice quality. The network isn't a large as I am used to with Verizon (but then again what is?) but the cost is a good value.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    If you were hoping for unlimited data plans with Verizon (NYSE: VZ) Wireless’ 4G network based on Long-Term Evolution, it looks like you’re out of luck because the company will likely use tiered pricing, according to comments from CEO Lowell McAdam.

Verizon going tiered pricing for LTE 4G
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

The Shadow seems way too large for me. That is why I haven't even batted an eye at what Sprint is offering as well. At some point these things become too big to deal with in a pocket on a daily basis.

I haven't been able to hold any of the 4.0 in+ devices, but I can see how that would be a problem. Personally, I've gone the way of the holster clip so I don't think it'll bother me too much. Guess I'll find out when it gets released and I spend some time in the store with it.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Holster clip = YUCK at least for me. I suppose I could consider one but then I'd need to get the mandatory minivan with it.

I don't kid that size is a huge deal for me though. Apple's got it right in that respect. the current iPhone is about as large as I care to go and I have older posts on here arguing that it was still a bit too big. I don't see how people carry around these massive phones in terms of size. I'm sure they are fun to use when out in your hands, but you've got to carry them before that point.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

Holster clip = YUCK at least for me. I suppose I could consider one but then I'd need to get the mandatory minivan with it.

I don't kid that size is a huge deal for me though. Apple's got it right in that respect. the current iPhone is about as large a I care to go and I have older posts on here arguing that it was still a bit too big. I don't see how people carry around these massive phones in terms of size. I'm sure they are fun to use when out in your hands, but you've got to carry them before that point.

Yeah, it's completely personal on the holster thing. I was the same way for a while. I saw it as a symbol of being the old guy at work with a BlackBerry. But more and more of us younger guys have them at work now. And we can actually make them look good on us surprisingly.

I'm a bigger (read: taller, not wider) person, so my personal limit is the HTC EVO-sized phones. That's when I also get uncomfortable holding something that big to my head.