Commercials for Apple's next-gen iPhone to demonstrate video chat

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elastic Reason View Post

Nonsense SaltWater,

From Amazon: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Unlocked Phone with U.S. 3G, GPS with Free Voice Navigation, Wi-Fi, and 8 GB MicroSD Card--U.S. Version with Warranty (Black) by Nokia

Buy new: $399.99 $250.00

The new iPhone will probably follow existing pricing or less:

32GB1 : White $299.002

Even if it were true his logic is flawed. His question implies that this feature along determines the price of the device and that the iPhone shouldn't cost "3x" if his Nokia already has this feature.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IlFuria View Post

My point was that, in my experience, video calls over 3g is not as taxing on the network as some people in here think.

I'm still unclear how you can make that point. On a Mac, I have had no problem sending a text IM. I have had problems when it was audio and more problems when it was video. Each one requires more data to be sent than the last. How can argue this?

If you have a network like AT&T with an excessive number of iPhones, add to that dense cites with an excessive number of phones per tower, then have everyone trying the gimmicky video chat over a weekend where at least 1 million units will be sold. Yeah, i think it's possible there would be some issues. Do not recall the Mobile Me issues upon launch with so many trying out the new service at once? Have you not read about the additional loads the iPhone and now other smartphones are putting on networks without trying to do real-time video that requires QoS?

I can't possibly expect to see video chat over 3G out of the gate.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    predragpredrag Posts: 26member
    The point is, for the past two years, iPhones have been using 3G networks to surf the web, stream YouTube video, download music, apps, TV shows and movies, upload (2-megapixel) pictures to Facebook and whatnot, in addition to making calls. In other words, doing thing everyone does on an ordinary computer.

As I mentioned before, iChat AV requires fairly low bandwidth (100kbps, but can work with even less). This is nothing compared to YouTube.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Predrag View Post

The point is, for the past two years, iPhones have been using 3G networks to surf the web, stream YouTube video, download music, apps, TV shows and movies, upload (2-megapixel) pictures to Facebook and whatnot, in addition to making calls. In other words, doing thing everyone does on an ordinary computer.

As I mentioned before, iChat AV requires fairly low bandwidth (100kbps, but can work with even less). This is nothing compared to YouTube.

And you think streaming a video from YouTube is the same thing as streaming two videos in real-time? \
  • Reply 65 of 73
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:

Four years ago, I remember having seen "video" phones in the wild, in Belgrade (Serbia). They just completed their 3G network and were showcasing it by selling dual-camera phones (front and back). Video chat worked well (their 3G network is much more robust than any US carrier).

Nothing about video chat is new. Then again, none of the iPhone features were new when iPhone introduced them. The fundamental difference between the iPhone and all other phones with same features is, on all those other phones, people essentially just make phone calls, occasionally snap a picture and use contact list to enter phone numbers (together with a nickname) of their friends (ex. "Laura-cell - 1824-648-2465" "Mom - 1824-545-6774"). They are mostly oblivious to all other features (IM, e-mail, web, music/video playback, FM radio, video chat, etc, etc, etc).

IPhone users generally use 80-90% of its features. Therein lies the difference.

Iphone just brought out all features to work nicely. Then people realized "Oh, we could do it this way". The key for it's current & future success will depend upon how it enables the Software to potentially use the H/W platform to it's full strength and that will differentiate it from other platforms which are fragmented to work on minimum features for high interoperability.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Competition from Android? Ahem!

Android isn't a single company but a bunch of 3rd party cell phone makers pimping the Android OS. And those cell phone makers also compete with one another. So you failed to take into account, because you don't know what you're talking about, the fact that those Android based cell phone makers compete with each other.

HELLO!!!!!!!

If the topic is iPhone Video Chat, competition from Android is relevant. What does competition among the other phone makers themselves have to do with it?

And why the abuse?
  • Reply 67 of 73
    lochiaslochias Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I never understood why people would want video calls on their phone. Instead of putting your phone up to your ear you have to hold it in front of you. At least with a desktop or laptop it's already in front of you. Not only that but my iphone is always in my pocket, I answer it with my earphones.

I'm sure that Settings will allow you to turn off video chatting, so that you are not inconvenienced.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:

Apple is using H.264 (a component of the MPEG-4 standard) for compressing video in iChat (unlike Skype, which apparently seems to be using On2 video encoding). H.264 is a published open standard that can be licensed by anyone (MPEG-LA is the license holder). There are many video chips that can encode/decode H.264 directly, avoiding software/main CPU overhead.

HTML-5 is a mark-up language for delivering web content to a browser. It has nothing to do with video compression and encoding.

It has been recently used in the context of replacing Flash as a means for delivering MPEG4-compressed video to the web.

Ok, Thanks for the info
  • Reply 69 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Why not just have a virtual button on the screen that lets you switch the video source between front and back cameras? The back camera has autofocus, right? (My iPhone is the 3G, which does not autofocus.)

Thompson

Cool, or both with a pic in pic
  • Reply 70 of 73
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I see this next iPhone as the scientific realization of the classic Sci-Fi image of Dick Tracy communicating with HQ on his wrist watch like video walkie-talkie since the 1930's. It's a very big deal to me.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Hmm. What do we think are the chances of an actor who leaks Apple info getting the gig?

I'd imagine slim to none.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    satcomersatcomer Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Nice feature. Now the question is will AT&T have the bandwithh to support it?

Hard to believe.

Bet it will be Wi-Fi only.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elastic Reason View Post

Nonsense SaltWater,

From Amazon: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Unlocked Phone with U.S. 3G, GPS with Free Voice Navigation, Wi-Fi, and 8 GB MicroSD Card--U.S. Version with Warranty (Black) by Nokia

Buy new: $399.99 $250.00

The new iPhone will probably follow existing pricing or less:

32GB1 : White $299.002

Nonsense Elastic Reason

From The Warehouse: Nokia 5800 NZ$499

From Vodafone NZ, iPhone 3GS 16GB NZ$1179, iPhone 3GS 32GB NZ$1379

Don't compare the networks subsidised prices of one product with the non subsidised prices of another