Valve to release Half-Life 2 for Mac on Wednesday

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manzanaboy View Post

FYI everybody,,,,,,,

They will release HL2 AND Episodes 1 and 2 tomorrow!!!

Man, I cannot wait that long to download all 3!?!?!?

Oh and yes, screamingfist, lighten up man! This is exciting news for all Mac Heads!

I remember a time when the apple was THE game machine. the trash 80 had text but the apple II had color and a bit of graphics! but somehow that all got pissed away by apple.

anywho, i think it is just a bit of a joke to get excited about gaming on a pc or a mac. i ditched the pc as a platform when the xbox 360 came out. saved me a ton of money and got me out of the graphics card race....

but half life 2 is a great game and i hope all who play it have a great time.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

I remember a time when the apple was THE game machine. the trash 80 had text but the apple II had color and a bit of graphics! but somehow that all got pissed away by apple.

anywho, i think it is just a bit of a joke to get excited about gaming on a pc or a mac. i ditched the pc as a platform when the xbox 360 came out. saved me a ton of money and got me out of the graphics card race....

"but half life 2 is a great game and i hope all who play it have a great time."

well said screamingfist.....
  • Reply 23 of 63
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Ok, I admit I haven't kept up on this subject, so fill me in, please. What are "these" (new) games that Mac users will get the same time as Windows users. I'm not aware of any first-tier games for 2010 that will be released for the Mac platform simultaneously with Windows.

Go back to kindergarten and learn to read. It makes the statement in the article.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,163member
    Quote:

THE game machine was actually the Amiga which kicked off many classics like Dune which led to Command and Conquer, Lemmings, Worms, Loom, Monkey Island, among many others. Hell, it even kicked off the CD based console wars with the CD32. Macs at the time were weak for gaming compared to even the C64.

The past is the past and now it's time to look toward the future and when Valve state new releases for the Mac are coming at the same time as the PC then I'm inclined to believe them rather than someone who doesn't real articles.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Ok, I admit I haven't kept up on this subject, so fill me in, please. What are "these" (new) games that Mac users will get the same time as Windows users. I'm not aware of any first-tier games for 2010 that will be released for the Mac platform simultaneously with Windows.

For simultaneous new releases, Valve's own Portal 2 and Blizzard's StarCraft 2. And we haven't even heard from other publishers on the matter yet; I expect the list will grow during E3.

---

I think Steam OS X is going to be a bit of a wakeup call to the games industry. For users it melds the convenience of the iTunes store with real computer gaming and some amazing deals. For Publishers, it's a goldmine because while the Mac gaming audience might be comparatively small and not generally made up of "Enthusiasts", consumers are more willing to pay up for product and mac game torrents are practically non-existent, curbing piracy on practical and personal levels. For Developers it's a dream come true because the platform offers the greater customization and widened possibilities of PC gaming with a very small range of hardware to test against for QA.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

THE game machine was actually the Amiga which kicked off many classics like Dune which led to Command and Conquer, Lemmings, Worms, Loom, Monkey Island, among many others. Hell, it even kicked off the CD based console wars with the CD32. Macs at the time were weak for gaming compared to even the C64.

The past is the past and now it's time to look toward the future and when Valve state new releases for the Mac are coming at the same time as the PC then I'm inclined to believe them rather than someone who doesn't real articles.

don't be an idiot. those came out after the apple II. the apple II already had a base of apps and a big fan base. there were many games for the apple II over the years. at the time, the apple II was the machine to have. by the time those others came out the apple II was already 'aged'.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,444moderator
    Loved the 1984 video. So many good things in it. While playing the game though, the black turtle necked Wallace Breen reminded me a bit of Steve. One quote struck home:

"We now have direct confirmation of a disruptor in our midst, one who has acquired an almost messianic reputation in the minds of certain citizens.

His figure is synonymous with the darkest urges of instinct, ignorance and decay.

And yet unsophisticated minds continue to imbue him with romantic power, giving him such dangerous poetic labels as the One Free Man, the Opener of the Way.

Let me remind all citizens of the dangers of magical thinking.

We have scarcely begun to climb from the dark pit of our species' evolution. Let us not slide backward into oblivion, just as we have finally begun to see the light.

If you see this so-called Free Man, report him.

Civic deeds do not go unrewarded. And contrariwise, complicity with his cause will not go unpunished.

Be wise. Be safe. Be aware."

Could be either Steve addressing Google or Google addressing Steve. Apple have a lot of magical thinking going on these days:

"If something exceeds your ability to understand how it works, it sort of becomes magical"

... and you need to buy Applecare because you won't know how to fix it when it breaks.

Google have a dangerous reputation growing among the anti-Apple crowd over Android and their Free and Open way. This also blinds people over the issues of control and privacy.

Neither are right nor wrong, they just think different.

Quote:

FYI everybody,,,,,,,

They will release HL2 AND Episodes 1 and 2 tomorrow!!!

Now that is interesting. After finding out HL2 wasn't available at Steam launch, I installed it on Windows and finished it. I'm only partly through Episode 1 so I'll install it and compare the quality.

I'll test out the XBox 360 controller too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist

wow! a game released in 2004 finally makes it to the mac!

It's the same idea with old movies like Star Wars going to Blu-Ray. There are timeless classics that it's good to bring back. Plus when it's so many years later, it means that even people with low end computers should be able to enjoy the games on maximum quality.

The 9400M GPU can play HL2 with everything on high and the water reflections look amazing. HL2 is by far one of the most epic games ever made. It has ant-lions like you see in the movie Starship Troopers, the Combine who are like the Storm Troopers from Star Wars, it has Tripods like you get in War of the Worlds, head crabs similar to what you'd see in an alien movie, scenes like the human farms from the Matrix, it has a deep story-line, huge environments, engaging characters with believable character and facial animations. It is just a superb game.

I think it was a mistake not to pay Newell $1m for a port years ago but it's better late than never and a whole new generation can see how good games are supposed to be made.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    gotapplegotapple Posts: 115member
    Didn't like this tunnel shooter back in 2004. But yeah, the GPUs in latest Macs are pretty weak thus we get just these old PC games from 2004... Where's Crysis?
  • Reply 29 of 63
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 640member
    I'm interested in the Half Life game as well.

I had a snoz around the Steam site... do you have to make those little 'micro payments' to go to the next level/get better weaponry? Or once you pay for the game, you are good to go?
  • Reply 30 of 63
    lemon bon bon.lemon bon bon. Posts: 2,173member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

I am hugely impressed with Valve and their handling of the Mac platform.

Like a lot of Mac owners, I've had a PC for gaming, and much of that has taken place within the Steam ecosystem.

Valve's not just realized a feature identical version of Steam - they've allowed existing licenses to have parity in the ecosystem where there is a corresponding binary.

Damn classy behavior, Valve.

(If Apple was shopping and Vale was open to a sale or equity stake, Valve would be one hell of an investment choice.)

YES!

FINALLY, Half-Life 2 is HERE, FINALLY here on THEEE platform of choice.

My friend bought me this license for the PC 'side' of my iMac (XP...Service Pack3) and I downloaded it under 'Steam'. I'm not a big game player these days. Unless it's an occasional indulgence for CoH (on my PC side...) and Champions Online (which I have a life sub for...)

Valve deserve a WWDC of the year award from Apple?

Why?

Gaming truly IS now BACK on the Mac and ON the MAP!

See Adobe? Here's a company that's showing you...out with the old politics. In with the new.

New allegiances. New frontiers.

I can't wait to download HL2 for 'free' and give her a whirl.

Absolutely loved the '1984' ad for the Mac. That was SO cool. C'mon. It was cool. Nice to have a company recognise what it means to be a Mac developer and what that means to us Mac evangels.

Steam is the iTunes for Mac games. Only wish Apple had been the one to initiate a 'steam' or a 'iTunes' store for Mac software. It's kind of ironic that Apple haven't. But Valve are showing it's not only possible...but the 'cross' license if you own 'Mac or PC' is very nice feature. Golden geezers. (Unless Adobe who expect you to buy both copies?)

Valve. Going places. Applauds*

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gchriste View Post

You sir are a joke! It is news in that the Mac platform has not enjoyed a lot of high profile game franchises being specifically developed or natively ported to the platform. We have had to put up with poor substitutes. While the game itself is old, the fact that a A grade game is making its way natively to the platform, and what this means for the future of MAc gaming, is new.

No go back to your hole!

He called him out in public. Scraped him off a few gravely car parks...and left the carcass there for the vultures to peck on.

Amen.

HL2. 'Old' game for the PC it maybe. But for Mac users, it and Valve's Steam move is nothing short of a seismic move for the Mac.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Loved the 1984 video. So many good things in it. While playing the game though, the black turtle necked Wallace Breen reminded me a bit of Steve. One quote struck home:

"We now have direct confirmation of a disruptor in our midst, one who has acquired an almost messianic reputation in the minds of certain citizens.

His figure is synonymous with the darkest urges of instinct, ignorance and decay.

And yet unsophisticated minds continue to imbue him with romantic power, giving him such dangerous poetic labels as the One Free Man, the Opener of the Way.

Let me remind all citizens of the dangers of magical thinking.

We have scarcely begun to climb from the dark pit of our species' evolution. Let us not slide backward into oblivion, just as we have finally begun to see the light.

If you see this so-called Free Man, report him.

Civic deeds do not go unrewarded. And contrariwise, complicity with his cause will not go unpunished.

Be wise. Be safe. Be aware."

Could be either Steve addressing Google or Google addressing Steve. Apple have a lot of magical thinking going on these days:

"If something exceeds your ability to understand how it works, it sort of becomes magical"

... and you need to buy Applecare because you won't know how to fix it when it breaks.

Google have a dangerous reputation growing among the anti-Apple crowd over Android and their Free and Open way. This also blinds people over the issues of control and privacy.

Neither are right nor wrong, they just think different.

Now that is interesting. After finding out HL2 wasn't available at Steam launch, I installed it on Windows and finished it. I'm only partly through Episode 1 so I'll install it and compare the quality.

I'll test out the XBox 360 controller too.

It's the same idea with old movies like Star Wars going to Blu-Ray. There are timeless classics that it's good to bring back. Plus when it's so many years later, it means that even people with low end computers should be able to enjoy the games on maximum quality.

The 9400M GPU can play HL2 with everything on high and the water reflections look amazing. HL2 is by far one of the most epic games ever made. It has ant-lions like you see in the movie Starship Troopers, the Combine who are like the Storm Troopers from Star Wars, it has Tripods like you get in War of the Worlds, head crabs similar to what you'd see in an alien movie, scenes like the human farms from the Matrix, it has a deep story-line, huge environments, engaging characters with believable character and facial animations. It is just a superb game.

I think it was a mistake not to pay Newell $1m for a port years ago but it's better late than never and a whole new generation can see how good games are supposed to be made.

An engaging and thoughtful post as always, Marv'.

Good catch on the 1984 'big brother' speech.

'Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend on a 'certain' point of view...' Obiwan Kenobi.

As for your call on HL2.

This game was and still is epic. It blew away everything at launch. Gamer mags raved. The tech' demo for it at the time was amazing.

It could be played decently on a PC rig of the time. Great cutting edge tech' with seamless storyline and a unique, kinetic and immersive gameplay as well as an engaging '1984' atmosphere. It really did and DOES have it all.

Games like Crisis? And Quake? Overrated tech' demo's. Mere shadows compared to Valve's 'How games should be done' classic.

Mac gamers should rejoice. This is a pivotal move in in Mac gaming history. We can take a moment to pause...to enjoy this 'victory.'

Hopefully, one of many...now, will 'Bungie' and 'Marathon' come 'home' to the Mac again..?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Chuckles abit.

The Amiga was half a jedi compared to the legendary C64. (My one true love...)

I remember how the guy who handles the Amiga port didn't get multi-directional scrolling like on the C64. It would scroll vertically and 'flick' when moving off screen left or right. LOL.

And how the '16 bit' versions of Boulderdash couldn't quite capture the 'feel' of the C64 version.

Plenty of 'eye candy' these days. But concept, execution of raw playability. The C64 classics had that in abundance WITH great graphics and a real sense of immersion.

The Amiga CD32 was a damp squib end to the might Commodore. Lament.

Credit to HL2. One of the few games to echo those halcyon days.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:

"but half life 2 is a great game and i hope all who play it have a great time."

well said screamingfist.....

Applauds.

Yeh, I had a PC gaming mate who paid £2300 for 'gaming' rig. I questioned his motives at the time.

He may as well have got himself a 360 and saved himself a lot of money and got himself a bootcamping iMac with the change for gaming and productivity.

Well, you know what they say about 'closed' minds.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:

don't be an idiot. those came out after the apple II. the apple II already had a base of apps and a big fan base. there were many games for the apple II over the years. at the time, the apple II was the machine to have. by the time those others came out the apple II was already 'aged'.

I don't think he's being an 'idiot'.

Those days were a long time ago.

Apple II was a worthy machine. Apple had gaming and lost it.

Now they've found it again?

As for the machine to have. Twas the C64 out of all the 8-bit machines.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post

For simultaneous new releases, Valve's own Portal 2 and Blizzard's StarCraft 2. And we haven't even heard from other publishers on the matter yet; I expect the list will grow during E3.

---

I think Steam OS X is going to be a bit of a wakeup call to the games industry. For users it melds the convenience of the iTunes store with real computer gaming and some amazing deals. For Publishers, it's a goldmine because while the Mac gaming audience might be comparatively small and not generally made up of "Enthusiasts", consumers are more willing to pay up for product and mac game torrents are practically non-existent, curbing piracy on practical and personal levels. For Developers it's a dream come true because the platform offers the greater customization and widened possibilities of PC gaming with a very small range of hardware to test against for QA.

A scalpel like analysis.

...and that 'comparatively' small Mac gaming market is 3 million in sales per quarter...and closing in on that epic 4 million sales target...(iPad and iPhone 'halos' about to hit like a Tsunami...)

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    And like you say, it takes away the 'traditional' problems of 'traditional' distribution away. Because most Mac owners are on the internet (ie in 'one' place...) and they have disposable incomes less torrent users and more likley to pay for our software.

So, as a gaming market, we punch above our weight.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gotApple View Post

Didn't like this tunnel shooter back in 2004. But yeah, the GPUs in latest Macs are pretty weak thus we get just these old PC games from 2004... Where's Crysis?

Tunnel shooter!?

Sounds like you're talking about another game.

Half-Life 2 series is still one of my favorite single player experiences.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    HL2 is no 'mere' 'tunnel shooter.' (Looks at games like Quake...and the retarded tech-demo Crysis as a comparison...)

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Oh happy day. Add another reason for owning a Mac!