Apple issues Boot Camp update for MacBook Pros, new 10.6.4 beta

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday released an update to its Boot Camp dual-booting software for owners of its most recent 13-inch MacBook Pros and also equipped developers with yet another beta of its impending Mac OS X 10.6.4 Update.

Boot Camp Update for MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)

According to Apple, the Boot Camp update addresses an issue that causes the Boot Camp Control Panel applet to display an error when the brightness tab is selected. It also fixes a glitch that left some users with no headphone sound.

The update, which applies to theMacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) running Windows operating systems, is available for Windows 32 bit partitions and Windows 64-bit partitions.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 build 10F58

Separately on Tuesday, the Mac maker also pushed out Mac OS X 10.6.4 build 10F58, which arrived exactly one week after the company latest seeded developers with a beta (build 10F54) of the forthcoming Snow Leopard update.

People familiar with the latest distribution say it swelled roughly 5MB in size to 581.3MB, but otherwise contained all the same focus areas and enhancements as the build that preceded it.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 remains clear of known issues, those same people say.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is possibly me biggest issue with SL right now. The responsiveness of the GUI goes away for no apparent reason.

I'm also surprised there are no reports of support for unannounced hardware.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Good news on 10.6.4. But I find it strange that there is no talk on what 10.7 might be like. iPads and iPhones are all very well but OS X has always seemed to me the heart of Apple, even more than new hardware.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    10.4 is upon us. Wireless SMB to the test!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    One one hand the 10.6.4 beta "remains clear of known issues", on the other hand it ballooned by a half gigabyte (almost 10%). I have a hard time squaring those two facts against each other.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

Good news on 10.6.4. But I find it strange that there is no talk on what 10.7 might be like. iPads and iPhones are all very well but OS X has always seemed to me the heart of Apple, even more than new hardware.

The word is that there won't be any 10.7 released at WWDC in two weeks, so apparently the lack of talk is due to lack of progress. I think Snow Leopard is going to be the current version for the rest of this year and a good bit of 2011. I would rather see more Apple pro applications take advantage of 10.6 features first, like moving to 64-bit Cocoa or beginning to implement OpenCL...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

One one hand the 10.6.4 beta "remains clear of known issues", on the other hand it ballooned by a half gigabyte (almost 10%). I have a hard time squaring those two facts against each other.

??? 5MB is not 500MB. Go back and read the article again.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I really hope 10.6.4 solves the lag / beach ball issue Snow Leopard has. This is possibly me biggest issue with SL right now. The responsiveness of the GUI goes away for no apparent reason.

Sounds like paging to me. How much RAM do you have and what apps are you using? Have you loaded up activity monitor or "top" in terminal to see if the system is paging?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    10.6.4 is on the horizon to fix the CS3 crash on launch issues for those who got their logical boards replaced under warranty. - I'll be happy to see the back of 10.6.3.

Still running leopard on the Mac Pro 2009, won't upgrade until the CS3 license bug is fixed. Can't afford the downtime.