What breed of dog?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by GraphX:

<strong>

Who told you that nonsense???

While growing up, we had two dalmations and they're awesome dogs!</strong><hr></blockquote>

dalmations can be mean sons of bitches though too. if you raise em from a puppy and don't do anything to make them develop a temper then their fine but normal dalmations are often considered too dangerous to be pets in a household with young children
  • Reply 42 of 52
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Applenut...that dog seriously is at least half border collie...probably the other half rot. I have a border collie (brown one, its weird) and I know the shape/color patterns very well...and its almost a perfect match except for the brown accents, which either shouldn't be there or should be white.

BTW border collies are great dogs...very smart and need a lot of excercise...big yards are great. I taught mine to retrieve footballs, really useful if you are a place kicker. Plus it helps to run them 50-60 yards out and back about 10 times. My collie is very inteligent as well...VERY large understanding of a lot of english words...and responds well to hand signals I.E. the ball is over on THAT side of the lawn. Also VERY protective and suspicious of strangers...though she never bites but barks and growls like mad.

[EDIT: Just looked at the pic again and realized it didn't have the little white mane that border collies have...]

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: Spart ]</p>
  • Reply 43 of 52
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>Applenut...that dog seriously is at least half border collie...probably the other half rot. I have a border collie (brown one, its weird) and I know the shape/color patterns very well...and its almost a perfect match except for the brown accents, which either shouldn't be there or should be white.</strong><hr></blockquote>

which one. the only one I would be suspicious of is the 2nd photo but they should be all bernese mountain dogs

the puppy we're getting is 7 weeks old. I'll post pics later if possible
  • Reply 44 of 52
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

which one. the only one I would be suspicious of is the 2nd photo but they should be all bernese mountain dogs

the puppy we're getting is 7 weeks old. I'll post pics later if possible</strong><hr></blockquote>

The second and third ones...when it was older. Hard to tell with puppies...best to look at them when they are mature and more distinguished. BTW, are Bernese mountain dogs part collie somewhere? anyone have info on this?
  • Reply 45 of 52
    alot of dogs share colorings and shape regardless of breed. they are, afterall, one species...just derivations of the same genes.

its not surprising that they would look similar...
  • Reply 46 of 52
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

<strong>yes, mutts on the average will always be smarter than purebreds. if u dont care about genetic background or pride of having an AKC dog, then a mutts the way to go--mixing of genes always leads to higher quality life.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Agreed, the best dogs I ever had while growing up were all mutts. Take a visit to your local animal shelter and see what they have. It is a good thing I don't have a house with a lot of land (and a lot of money)because I would bring all of the animals home with me!
  • Reply 47 of 52
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Update:

My father picked out a blue-tick/chocolate lab mutt for my sister's crew. Cute little 6 week-old puppy from what I hear.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>About the Shepherds. They ain't that safe folks. There's a reason why police use them -- besides intelligence and obedience -- they have the strongest bite of any dog. No gimmicky lock-jaw psuedo-urban legend crap, just pure clamping power. A big King Shepherd bites down considerably harder than any Rotweiller, and most any Molosser. Maybe it doesn't look tuff enough for people buying dogs out of some sort of small dick syndrome, but a police trainer I know assures me that it's one of the strongest dogs out there.

Anyway, did you know that 'breeding', particularly in the last 50 years, is ruining most breeds. Many of the 'pure breds' of the last half century have a lot of health problems because breeders have gotten completely out of hand with primarily cosmetic concerns about the standard. Animal Husbandry used to breed animals for a purpose. Today, many (most?) breeders breed dogs to a 'standard' which often describes nothing more than a shape.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Boy, you're full of it every once in a while. Dogs with shorter snouts typically have stronger jaws. See Pitbull Terriers and Rottweilers. And there's always breed associated temperament.

As long as you get a pedigree from your breeder, you should be fine as far as genetic health problems are concerned. It's generally okay for a dog to have the one great-grandparent the same on different branches of the pedigree anyway.

A German Shepherd has a big bite, but so does a Labrador or Golden Retriever.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Dalmatians can have bad temperament. That's one reason there was such a big hassle with people buying Dalmatians as Christmas presents when the live-action films came out. A lot of families were unprepared for the amount of discipline Dalmatians require...

compared to Goldens and Labs and other more docile breeds.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    German Shepherds are extremely loyal, and require lots of attention/affection. If you think they're stoic muscle dogs, you're wrong. My dog wants to be with me every second of the day. He wants me to pet or brush him all the time.

The loyalty is a double-edged sword though. He looks extremely fierce when strangers come to the house, but once people walk up to him and greet him, he's fine. He does get more nervous with other big dogs though. He hates Pitbulls for some reason.

If any of you ever decide to get a German Shepherd, make sure you get to see its parents to see if they have box hips...hips that are basically level with the shoulders. If a German Shepherd has a sloping back, it is basically 100% likely it will develop hip dysplasia.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]Maybe it doesn't look tuff enough for people buying dogs out of some sort of small dick syndrome, but a police trainer I know assures me that it's one of the strongest dogs out there.<hr></blockquote>

Whatever, that's like hearing a Mac apologist sing the praises of his iMac. He knows deep down it's not the fastest thing out there, but will never admit it openly.

I just read your post again after Eugene quoted it... you need to either read a book or two, or quit posting about dogs bro. Stick to something you know about.