Crowds gather for international iPad launch as supply issues remain

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    smurfmansmurfman Posts: 119member
    STILL waiting for my iPad 3G!!! Ordered over 3 weeks ago and haven't heard a peep when it'll be delivered!
  • Reply 22 of 45
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
  • Reply 23 of 45
    Cancelled my pre-order today after a friend walked into a PC World store and walked out with a shiny new iPad. I wouldn't care but i pre-ordered mine the minute Apple asked me to pre-order.

So no notification of delivery yet and here's me thinking that pre-ordering mean't first in line. Of course i understand their logic. Why not sell my friend one over the counter and keep me hanging on a little longer under new supply comes in. There was a time when i would have allowed that but not anymore.

Of course i now regret cancelling and have clearly cut my nose off to spite my face. But this is the juggernaut that is Apple today, although i still love em, i just don't love em enough to mess me around anymore.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    When Steve Jobs unveiled Apple's new creation in late January 2010, many bloggers boldly predicted:

"The iPad is just a big iPod Touch"

No Second Coming: Apple’s iPad Just a Big iPod Touch

Steve Fox and Edward N. Albro, PCWorld

Jan 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Nintendo’s Iwata: iPad just “a bigger iPod touch”

By Chris Davies on Friday, Jan 29th 2010 (report by SlashGear)

This was also reported by other internet site, including CVG, a gaming site since 1981

Iwata: iPad just "a bigger iPod Touch"

Friday 29-Jan-2010 11:02 AM Nintendo boss man unimpressed by Apple's new tech

And who can be more authoritative about the iPad but the former Newton boss himself, as reported here:

Apple Newton boss: iPad just a big iPod touch

Former Apple exec slams Apple's latest gadget

by Gregg Keizer (PC Advisor)

February 5, 2010

"The former Apple executive who oversaw the demise of the Apple Newton thinks the Apple iPad is too big and lacks communication capabilities.

And whatever you do, don't tell Andreas Haas that the Apple iPod is a tablet.

'The iPad is not a tablet, it's another addendum to the iPhone, the iPod touch,' said Haas, now the CEO of Axiotron. 'It's the Newton reborn.'

"

Even a number of Apps developers were unimpressed, like Marco (marco.org):

Loosely organized initial thoughts on the iPad

Jan 28 2010

who tried to predicate his impressions by saying that he was not alone in harboring this point of view:

"A lot of writers and journalists are expressing disappointment in the iPad because it didn’t live up to its insane hype. What’s most interesting to me is how unsurprising most of the launch was.

Most of us had some crazy ideas. John Gruber wanted Apple to reinvent mobile computing. I wanted Apple to reinvent portable input mechanics and novice usability. I think a lot of other people wanted Apple to reinvent the laws of physics.

In reality, none of this happened. The iPad is effectively a giant iPod Touch, which itself is effectively a data-app-only iPhone.
    "

Other techies weighed in:

Apple's iPad is just like a big iPod Touch

International Business Times

27 January 2010 @ 01:36 pm ET

The funny thing was that I could not find the author's name, or so well hidden in the very short report. Maybe (s)he was too chicken; worried to become infamous, in case (s)he predicted incorrectly.

Even much later, the same POV lingers:

The iPad Is Just a Big iPod Touch Ugly-Ass Laptop

By Mark Wilson (Gizmodo)

Apr 9, 2010 02:20 PM

Not much explanation why from the author, but showed an ugly photo of the iPad with an iPadLaptop Dock demo.

There are other very well known bloggers who were so bold with their impression that the "iPad is just a big iPod Touch!"

One of them was the "Fake Steve Jobs" (Daniel Lyons), who if memory serves was caught on video, immediately after the big event. Maybe that was why Newsweek was not one of the few that were given the privilege to have an in-depth hands on experience to play with the iPad -- for the paper to be able to write a review -- just before the launch.

The sweet revenge of Steve Jobs to the "Fake Steve Jobs", apart from the snob of Newsweek, was that Newsweek had to do a full court review of the iPad, since Time, its arch rival was doing the same frontpage feature. [Time got an iPad before the 2 April debut.]

The "Fake Steve Jobs", as editor of Newsweek now had to write a very complimentary blog of the iPad, apart from the general review of the magazine.

There was a side story to ths. Daniel Lyons was then at Forbes during his "Fake Steve Jobs" diaries, but later on was hired as an editor-writer by Newsweek. Daniel Lyons accused Steve Jobs that SJ personally called Newsweek not to hire Lyons. The implication here was that SJ was getting back at Lyons for the "Fake Steve Jobs" diaries The former editor of Newsweek then went on public to state categorically that it was not the case. Caught with his own lies, Daniel Lyons has to apologize in public:

"I misspoke." or something like that. Which in turn triggered another controversy. How can you simply misspoke a blatant accusation?

CGC

N.B.

I was trying to search the video after the SF presentation where "Fake Steve Jobs" Daniel Lyons was recorded by another reporter on video that the "iPad was just a big iPod Touch". I have not found it so far. Does anyone have the link to this? I hope I did not confuse him with one of those "media pundits".

Do you have any other links, videos of famous techies, journalists spewing the "iPad was just a big iPod Touch"?

Many comments from Apple hater had it as a mantra, especially until before April 2.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    @cgc0202

Great post! Thanks for reminding us the of myriad of pee brained, nitwit pundits, experts and other, who couldn't hold their moronic opinions to themselves.

Many of them prime candidates for Danny's Zune award.

Paul Thurrot had a few of his usual moronic comments to add to the stew (that was supposed to sizzle apple, and in which they are all now cooking in), but there are many, many others.

I thinks the funniest of all (even funnier than the vapourware that the pc flock would kill the ipad when they materialised out of thin air) are the pundits who still insist that the ipad is just a transient phenomenon, with no real sales, just a few fanbois queuing up too early making a big impression, with sales dying then after. The amount of delusion, denial and idiocy. Priceless.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    gmacgmac Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Any other Canadians get those delivery delay notices?

I didn't get one but FedEx tracking's last entry was yesterday morning in MISSISSAUGA, ON "In Transit" with "Package available for clearance."

??

WAIT! FedEx just updated their tracking info. I think it is coming today!!!!

May 28, 2010 7:58 AM

At local FedEx facility

ST LAURENT, PQ

I am so pathetic. Too much Kool-Aide

Mine's on the truck

May 28, 2010 9:23 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery TORONTO, ON
  • Reply 27 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Any other Canadians get those delivery delay notices?

I didn't get one but FedEx tracking's last entry was yesterday morning in MISSISSAUGA, ON "In Transit" with "Package available for clearance."

??

WAIT! FedEx just updated their tracking info. I think it is coming today!!!!

May 28, 2010 7:58 AM

At local FedEx facility

ST LAURENT, PQ

I am so pathetic. Too much Kool-Aide

Apple are letting CANADIANS have iPads? .... just kidding
  • Reply 28 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    removed
  • Reply 29 of 45
    I've had my iPad for a month now, and I'm still getting caught up in the excitement. I love my iPad, and it's nice that the rest of the world is now getting a chance to experience the same joy that I feel.

All of this on the same day as the Apple TV rumor. Today will be a good day (assuming that I can somehow force myself to forget about the disaster in the Gulf for a while).
  • Reply 30 of 45
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Still no IPADS available in the APPLE stores in U.S. So a supply shortage around the world is no surprise. Hopefully we will see some product available in the U.S. in a week or so.

Website still say 7-10 days, however this is only an approximate shipping time.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

Mine's on the truck

Looks like mine was one that was delayed due to flight issues. Too much cargo or something is what the FedEx rep said. Of course she was not very informative. "I have opened a file and someone will get back to you." Yeah right. Now I am on hold with Apple to see if they can have it upgraded to a Saturday delivery. Otherwise I am pretty pissed that I pre-ordered and instead could have just gone down to the store and bought it today.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple are letting CANADIANS have iPads? .... just kidding

Sometimes I wonder too. Having grown up in the States, I am a bit miffed when I have trouble ordering things here. I guess they have trouble finding my igloo.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    leithalleithal Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gmac View Post

Mine's on the truck

So is mine.

Fedex tracking is way slow. At 10:25, they updated to a status from 8:18AM. Same thing with the status regarding being on a truck: the update hit tracking after 11:30 but was from 9:57AM.

So much for up to the minute tracking.

As I posted on Facebook this morning:

The iAnticipation is getting to i.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    kovichkovich Posts: 43member
    Went to the TNT depot in Yate, South Gloucs first thing to pick mine up today as it was delivered yesterday when I was not at home.

Even the lady in the deli I go to for breakfast wanted to see and hold it. Have to say I can't quite articulate how aesthetically pleasing it is to look at and use. Ignore what it can do it is just a visual delight (for a piece of tech kit) to have.

Personally I didn't like Stephen Fry's pet analogy (although I understood what he was trying to say) but I thought his car one was spot on. I love my car in the same way I love my iPad
  • Reply 34 of 45
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Just got off the phone with FedEx. Their agreement with Apple is to get it delivered today. So they are holding trucks back to make deliveries until midnight. Mine should come after 6pm. At least I can leave the house for a few hours.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brometheus View Post

I've had my iPad for a month now, and I'm still getting caught up in the excitement. I love my iPad, and it's nice that the rest of the world is now getting a chance to experience the same joy that I feel.

All of this on the same day as the Apple TV rumor. Today will be a good day (assuming that I can somehow force myself to forget about the disaster in the Gulf for a while).

I too love my iPad but my wife is the one that amazes me. She is technophobic . I used to have to harass her to get her to clear her Email once a week on my desktop. Now she has her own iPad and she picks it up every day without a word of encouragement from me. And she now wants me to put some of the Apps I have on mine on her iPad.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

By the time all the Windows, Android and who knows what come to this party, Apple will be well established in this category with a long margin.

And just like the iPhone, another great product from a very great company.

Congratulations Apple! Made in America has become the best once again.

I think it's designed in Cupertino (America), made in China. I'd love it if it was made here. But -- agreed -- I think your point is that we've got the intellectual capital to pull this off, and that's something to be proud of.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

@cgc0202

Great post! Thanks for reminding us the of myriad of pee brained, nitwit pundits, experts and other, who couldn't hold their moronic opinions to themselves.

Many of them prime candidates for Danny's Zune award.

Paul Thurrot had a few of his usual moronic comments to add to the stew (that was supposed to sizzle apple, and in which they are all now cooking in), but there are many, many others.

I thinks the funniest of all (even funnier than the vapourware that the pc flock would kill the ipad when they materialised out of thin air) are the pundits who still insist that the ipad is just a transient phenomenon, with no real sales, just a few fanbois queuing up too early making a big impression, with sales dying then after. The amount of delusion, denial and idiocy. Priceless.

During the Kindle vs iPad debates, there were also the "Why iPad will fail", among those who thought that the iPad was meant simply to dethrone Kindle.

The New Yorker here, TechStud, was one of those kind, in this forum. He was always repeating it too often, in so many guizes. When he stated that he "did not know anyone who was interested to buy an iPad". There are several possibilties, either he did not know too many people, or those he knew are not worth knowing when it comes to technology, and his implied "I have a nose on these things, the iPad is doomed."

I challenged him to stand by his words, that he will stopped posting here, if the iPad will succeed. He predicated of course, to get out of a tight situation he boxed himself into.

When he thought my low ball of 1 million was too low to define success. I asked him to define success. But, was too chicken to even give an estimate.

Not sure if Apple Insider finally banned him. Or, he changed username again because his protagonists here are likely to rub the salt in his wounds.

CGC
  • Reply 38 of 45
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I order my iPad today. Expected delivery is Jun 17th.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Wow. These foreigners must be as stupid as us Americans!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

I had a play with the Ipad at lunch but didn't feel the urge to buy. Maybe gen 2.

I've learned a trick with Apple product. Buy it and when the next generation is about to be released, usually in a year, sell it for at least 60% of the original price and buy the new one. I've been doing this for few years now.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    http://www.youtube.com/v/fanC0y4zL6M..._US&fs=1&rel=0

is the direct link to the video from Japan that is being blocked in the AI article.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    i'm sorry if this is off topic, but is it not possible to embed youtube h.264 files in the articles instead of the flash versions? i mean - this is appleinsider - are there that many IE6 visitors to warrant torturing the rest of us?

do i have click-to-flash configured wrong? it goes to h.264 automagically if i go to the youtube page for the embedded videos...