13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    mitchelljdmitchelljd Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by defenderjarvis View Post

With apologies to MTV:

"I WANT MY NEW MAC PRO!"

Oh - and a Jony Ive industrial redesign! Something like an Alienware tower. No more "radiator" or "cheese grater."

Oh - and more and increased-lane PCIe slots - like one 32X and four 8X (16X would be better).

Actually, two 32X PCIe slots and a capacious power supply with plenty of plugs so I can run two GPU cards in parallel using nVIDIA's SLI or ATi's Crossfire. (And let's not forget OpenCL, which could almost amount to a CPU upgrade.)

Oh - and slots that accept higher capacity RAM modules.

Oh - and more max RAM, like 128GB.

Oh - and an SSD bay

Oh - and two 1000 Gigabit Ethernet ports

Oh - and an eSATA port

Oh - and skip USB 3 altogether and use Light Peak

Oh - and an AirPort card that performs as a base station

That's all I axe.

How about a midrange tower, AND INCLUDE BLU-RAY compatibility!
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

Thx!

I FO-got about Blu-ray, but it's a moot point because Steve Jobs HATES optical media and wishes it would die, that Blockbuster would shut down all its stores, ditto Netflix, and all music stores that sell music CDs would shut down.

But he knows he doesn't have the power to kill optical media all by his lonesome (like Adobe Flash), but he won't do anything that would further it.

Neglect of iDVD and DVD Studio Pro are some pretty clear examples. They’re the “black sheep” of their respective suites.

Intel introduced the USB spec to every PC OEM but they all balked and passed on it.

Then the USB-only Bondi iMac comes out, and every PC OEM jumps on the bandwagon. Then USB is a raging success thanks to Apple (even Intel’s CEO said so).

Adoption of Blu-ray TV consoles has doubled since last year.

But adoption of Blu-ray (read drives, not burners) in personal computers is but 3.6%.

[NOTE: This figure is from late 2009. I scoured and scoured the Internet for 2010 adoption data but came up empty handed. I don’t think PC adoption has declined, but I think it is reasonable to assume that it is now higher than the 2009 number -- but, realistically, probably not by a percentage that would knock your socks off.]

NEWS FLASH! I just read on electronics research site Twice.com that Blu-ray adoption in PCs in 2010 is 8%.

Steve Jobs’ excuse for not adopting Blu-ray on Macs is a transparent smokescreen -- wait, that’s an oxymoron.

He says Blu-ray licensing is a “bag of hurt.” That’s an alibi he doesn’t even believe.

Just on March 8, 2010, four leading companies (who call themselves the BD4C Licensing Group) VASTLY improved the Blu-ray licensing requirements and fees.

Now, prospective Blu-ray licensees can even negotiate separate license agreements!

And do you know of a particular master negotiator by any chance?

The “bag of hurt” defense is a ruse; it’s actually that Steve Jobs HATES optical media and wants obtaining all media content, software -- whatever -- to occur electronically.

That will be an uphill battle for a LONG time, as a successor to the Blu-ray standard, HVD, or Holographic Versatile Disc, is already being feverishly developed by a number of high-profile companies. (These discs are said to be able to store 100GB - initially.)

Anyhoo, just like with USB, PC OEMs are keeping their eyes trained on what Apple will do. As with USB, my hypothesis is that as soon as Apple adopts Blu-ray, all PC makers will trample each other as they climb on the bandwagon.

There’s nothing wrong with Blu-ray. It is a perfectly fine technology, it’s just ahead of its time.

After magnetic external storage media went the way of the Dodo, burnable CDs became standard on all PCs and were the main (or only) external storage medium available to personal computer users.

Then the much higher-capacity burnable DVD came out, but average computers hadn’t exhausted the capacity of CDs yet, so the burnable DVD did catch on immediately, it just took some time as software became more sophisticated and the documents and files you created became larger, such that the CD became insufficient. Enter burnable DVDs.

As with the CD, average personal computer users have yet to exhaust the 4.7 Gigs of storage a burnable DVD affords.

I am an exception because I use them all the time, but dual-layer DVDs haven’t even caught on yet, but, as with the CD to the DVD, they will as soon as standard DVDs become inadequate to store huge files that sophisticated apps now produce.

So there’s nothing wrong with Blu-ray, it’s just ahead of its time and demand isn’t there yet.

Besides more favorable Blu-ray licensing terms announced just weeks ago, and the fact that TV DVD consoles have doubled in sales year-over-year, plus the fact that whenever I go into a store that sells movies on DVD (Wal*Mart, Best Buy, etc.) there is always a cardboard display in the aisle providing a newly released movie in both standard DVD format and on Blu-ray disc.

TV Blu-ray consoles are really dropping in price (finally). Household adoption is increasing fast. And if Blu-ray consoles already grew 100% year-over-year, I can only see this continuing.

I have yet to see ONE newly released movie appear in a store without having it available on Blu-ray disc in addition to standard DVD.

(The Blu-ray industry is trying to pump up sales by offering Blu-ray movies in 3D -- I assume for the new 3D HD televisions that are coming out.)

Steve’s excuse doesn’t wash. He just hates optical media and wants everything delivered 100% electronically a la iTunes.

With dual-layer DVDs yet to catch on, Blu-ray discs and Holographic Versatile Discs in our long-term futures, he’s fighting an uphill battle. “If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em.”

Finally, why can’t he offer a Blu-ray drive as a build-to-order option for Mac Pros?

Mac Pro customers are usually pros in the film industry, web, printing and graphic design industries and professional sound industries. Unlike more price-conscious consumers, they’ll drop $7,000 or more on a build-to-order Mac Pro.

And no Mac Pro customer HAS to buy a Blu-ray drive!

There’s no excuse not to offer it as a BTO option for those with the coin to afford it.

P.S. There is definitely a market for a mid-range tower Mac. There are computer consumers out there who prefer over an all-in-one, a machine you can open, with some PCI slots, RAM module slots and swappable graphics cards.

Apple took a chance with the iPod touch and look what happened! If they spin the wheel with a more affordable priced tower Mac (but NOT a sub-$1,000 machine that plays in the low-end where HP and Dell are basically holding out tin cups!), my bets are on success.

And chances are good that if a customer of such a mid-range "open" tower Mac buys a new one in the future, he may buy a full-blown Mac Pro. So, a mid-range tower Mac may amount to a long-term investment for Apple. Good idea to at least try!

Viva Mac

• Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

When I graduate I'll go the full monty and get an iMac, iPad, Creative Suite 5, Microsoft Office 2011 :P

Purchase anything by Adobe while you're still a student - it'll save you a hell of a lot of money.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    mattalexmattalex Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

not. gonna. happen.

Why not? Just curious.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    mattalexmattalex Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

MacPro's already have this.. it's called Display port. There really isn't any difference between going between a display port and HDMI port. Just need a special cable and there's some out there already that support Video AND Audio. If they do release HDMI that wouldn't be bad though. Just not necessary. I'm more interested in them FINALLY supporting BluRay from the ground up with Video Editing capabilities, AND Playback.

I agree about the native Blu-Ray support.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

F RIAA.

the big surprise should be that apple bought out a recording company and will sell music with a 15/85 share, 15% going directly to the artist, 85% going to Apple.

the recording industry is just a bunch of vampires that have been sucking the lifeblood out of musicians for far too long.

Sony does it, but I still think the Justice Dept would fight Apple on this because of iTunes. Apple would need to carefully design such a system & get government buy-in up front.

But it's really the way to the future and might be the wisest way to actually save music. If artists can no longer make any money except by live shows, the music makers will suffer - and we will get little new music.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

Not another XMac thread!
  • Reply 48 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by B Gallagher View Post

Purchase anything by Adobe while you're still a student - it'll save you a hell of a lot of money.

Definitely; CS5 Master Collection I can pick up for NZ$600, so I'm definitely going to take advantage of that special