New cloud-based Apple TV to cost $99, run on iPhone OS 4

Comments

• Reply 201 of 257
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    I'd be delighted to see some live streaming content deals that would offer price competition to the content delivery stranglehold that Comcast exerts in our community.
  • Reply 202 of 257
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Do you ever watch sports, nightly news, or other live broad casts?

Why does everyone think of news as live?

I mean - I know there are special live events, but news could easily be delayed.

In fact - why not have a news "portal" with a list of stories, similar to how the AppleTV shows movie trailers? Tick the stories we want, or watch them all, or choose article by article. Link small stories to other bigger expose/current-affairs programs if we want more information. etc.
  • Reply 203 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

as a iPhone OS device, it would be able to store and run iPhone Apps, especially multi-player games. Although there might be a new cheaper $49 controller/remote, existing iPhones, iPod touch, and iPads could also serve as controllers.

Like the iPad, it could be easy to port an app from iPhone to AppleTV. I just can't see it running them without alteration. There has to be changes in the interaction method - and Apple would get more traction from forcing developers to make it native.

Personally, I'd like to see novel ideas - like Scrabble on the iPad uses partnerships of iPhone & iPad. If I'm having a FAST jet dog-fight with my friend on our iPhones, let the TV follow the action so others can watch. Same with a car race - do close ups on our cars, show the close calls, replay the crashes.
  • Reply 204 of 257
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Like the iPad, it could be easy to port an app from iPhone to AppleTV. I just can't see it running them without alteration. There has to be changes in the interaction method - and Apple would get more traction from forcing developers to make it native.

Personally, I'd like to see novel ideas - like Scrabble on the iPad uses partnerships of iPhone & iPad. If I'm having a FAST jet dog-fight with my friend on our iPhones, let the TV follow the action so others can watch. Same with a car race - do close ups on our cars, show the close calls, replay the crashes.

I don't see iPhone or iPad apps being usable on the AppleTV. Just look at how poorly iPhone app look on the iPad with 2x magnification. I stopped using those apps immediately.

Now imagine them being expanded to an HDTV, have no CocoaTouch which means only using a remote am only being used in the widescreen format. It's failure on every level.

I think the best we can hope for is an SDK for the AppleTV without the apps being "universal" in that they can be built for the iPhone/Touch and iPad.
  • Reply 205 of 257
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Looks like Eric Schmidt made off with yet another Apple idea during his tenure on the board. Not surprising given Google's approach to all IP but its own.

Hang on a second... Google bought Android in 2005 and then purchased YouTube in 2006 for $1.6 billion. It's pretty obvious which direction Google saw consumer viewing going and they most definitely laid their cards on the table.

It's fair to say Schmidt had access to Apple's road map, and from a moral standpoint, he should have quit the board when he realized the conflict of interest between Apple's and Google's future goals (it's probably not too paranoid to suggest he stayed on the board just so he could keep an eye on what Apple was doing).

However, to suggest that Google purchased Android and YouTube, then just sat around twiddling their thumbs not knowing what their next move was until Schmidt came back from an Apple meeting one day and said "You guys should see what Apple is planing to do in a few years..." is just plain insanity.

I actually think it's apparent in each companies strategy.

The GTV is very "Google". The point of GTV is to act as a gateway to internet content providers and gather user information in order to gain profit from targeted advertising - Google's core business.

The ATV is likewise very "Apple". It acts as a gateway to iTunes to extend, and lock consumers into, the "eco-system" in order to gain profit from content purchased through Apple.
  • Reply 206 of 257
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

The ATV is likewise very "Apple". It acts as a gateway to iTunes to extend, and lock consumers into, the "eco-system" in order to gain profit from content purchased through Apple.

In some ways yes, but iPhone OS isn't as closed as it might be. There are streaming apps from many media outlets and Apple no longer seem paranoid about letting others to the party.

An ATV with apps could be a wonderful thing. US customers would get the usual suspects, and here in the UK we would get BBC iPlayer, Spotify, and perhaps Netflix clone LoveFilm. (although their streaming efforts so far have been nothing short of abysmal)

And don't forget all those games. All Apple need do is redesign the Apple remote to be a little more Wiimote like, and you could make an awful lot of iPhone games work with higher res assets and frame buffer, controlled with a d-pad and accelerometer.

I'd also like Safari in there as I find myself using my PS3's web browser on my KURO quite a bit, despite it being a useless browser. (although it does at least, have flash) Obviously I don't type anything into it beyond URLs, but for reading it's fine.
  • Reply 207 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't see iPhone or iPad apps being usable on the AppleTV. Just look at how poorly iPhone app look on the iPad with 2x magnification.

You're agreeing with me, but responding as if you think I said the opposite?
  • Reply 208 of 257
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Hang on a second... Google bought Android in 2005 and then purchased YouTube in 2006 for $1.6 billion. ... However, to suggest that Google purchased Android and YouTube, then just sat around twiddling their thumbs not knowing what their next move was until Schmidt came back from an Apple meeting one day and said "You guys should see what Apple is planing to do in a few years..." is just plain insanity.

I don't know why you think those dates make your point. I know the iPhone is magical, but it didn't just pop into existence that day that Steve pulled it out of his pocket. And you're not the first to mention these dates in this context, but, duh!
  • Reply 209 of 257
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Till Apple gets a content deal with content creators, that's actually competitive with cable, it's highly unlikely most of us would get rid of our cable boxes.

I did more than 2 years ago and I haven't missed it one bit (especially the monthly cable bill). The best part is watching television shows without commercials - it changes the entire experience not having to endure those damn psychological manipulations every few minutes.
  • Reply 210 of 257
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

But I don't like this model. I don't want to have to have two machines running to do the job of one.

Maury

Don't think of it as separate PC, think of it as an accessory device to extend your PC and the internet to your TV at minimal cost and effort.

If this is what Apple does (which seems reasonable on all counts) and it doesn't vibe with your particular needs then you don't have to buy it, can run a cable from your PC to your TV so you only have the one "machine" or choose a different service.

excatly. my television/media viewing works via SageTV www.sagetv.com which is a central media server, and then very low power (6 watts?) media "extenders" at the nodes (televisions) i want to view at. the extenders do all the heavy lifting (decoding, etc) and the server just has the main software, and all the (four) ATSC tuners hooked up to it. i've got a wireless HD extender that i can plug in a wireless keyboard to the extender for data entry , etc.

the days of HTPC are kind of over unless you are looking to game on your 60" tv. the idea is a central server and very low power extenders/nodes for each television. i'm sure the eventual idea is a cloud system owned and operated by apple, and then your personal device can be plugged into any tv or monitor/keyboard setup and allow you access to your data from anywhere. but our data speeds arent there yet.

the box on top is the HD200 i use. the bottom one is the old HD100, which was the size of a normal cable box.

• Reply 211 of 257
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

My vision on the service:

There will be a subscription service and it will have ads (iAds) for probably ~$50/month. The most likely reason for no significant storage is probably for reducing any concerns of the content providers about piracy. Apple will distribute iAds over the air give a significant portion of the revenues to the networks and studios. You will be able to interact with the ads through the Apple Remote and you iPhone/

This sounds awful. I love my apple tv because there are no ads!
  • Reply 212 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

This sounds awful. I love my apple tv because there are no ads!

That's my sentiment exactly - the best part of the ATV experience is not having to endure those awful advertisements and programme interruptions. I haven't watched commercial television in 2 years and haven't missed it at all.
  • Reply 213 of 257
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Don't think of it as separate PC, think of it as an accessory device to extend your PC and the internet to your TV at minimal cost and effort.

That is a needed and viable category.

But will it be codec agnostic, or must one use Apple-specified codecs?

Does it really have only one HDMI output? How abut a separate Toslink for multi-channel sound to route to the sound system? (My TV has no HDMI output).

Will it really stream video from where my stuff is on my computer, or will it connect only to iTunes? I routinely move stuff around from the download directory to the music or video folders on my computer, and then, when I want to archive, I move the content to an external drive. iTunes cannot deal with any of that.
  • Reply 214 of 257
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Why is he wrong? Apple TV is basically an iTunes portal today and it's not selling spectacularly. He's totally right. If it's just another iTunes portal, it's going to be tough sell even if it's $99.

Say what you will but conventional cable is deady easy to use and consumers like the idea of a flat price for a bunch of channels. Paying for individual shows is not going to have mass market appeal over conventional TV.

If you can install 3rd party apps, Netflix here we come.
  • Reply 215 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Not interested. Apple just wants to sell us movies. It doesn't actually want to help make our media lives make sense.

I got a demo of AppleTV at the iSore once. They showed me in detail how you could use it to buy content from Apple. Not much else.
  • Reply 216 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by copeland View Post

If it accepts my D-Link NAS that works as a ITunes server too and I can plug in a real network cable - have 1Gb network in my house - I'm sold.

Waited for this device for 2 years.

I assume you meant 1TB :-)

1GB would get you about 2 tv shows.

Of course, 1TB isn't that much these days either. I put in a 8TB raid (raid 5, 6TB actual storage). It's already 1/3 full. iTunes is making me go broke.
  • Reply 217 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Not interested. Apple just wants to sell us movies. It doesn't actually want to help make our media lives make sense. Something like the Boxee Box is actually much close to what I'm looking for:

Streams movies on any server in your house.

Views photos live from any server in your house.

Plays music from any server in your house including iTunes libraries.

Plays all internet content.

Plays Netflix streaming movies.

Now THAT's a media integration platform worth getting excited about. A new piece of hardware to sell me overpriced movies from the iTunes store? Notsomuch.

OTOH, if you can install 3rd party apps, your problems are solved.
  • Reply 218 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stevie View Post

I got a demo of AppleTV at the iSore once. They showed me in detail how you could use it to buy content from Apple. Not much else.

I've had mine since it first launched and I've not bought one thing from Apple regarding content. Of course I had to hack it, but once I did a whole world of content was available for viewing on it, and it's one of my favourite devices in the house.

What are the chances this new device would be any different? Probably less than zero, huh?!
  • Reply 219 of 257
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I don't know why you think those dates make your point. I know the iPhone is magical, but it didn't just pop into existence that day that Steve pulled it out of his pocket. And you're not the first to mention these dates in this context, but, duh!

I thought you were talking about ATV\\GTV.
  • Reply 220 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

But if you look at computers and smartphones, Microsoft was able to overtake Apple by licensing their software for others to use and Android is catching the iPhone again by licensing their software for others to use.

GoogleTV is not that far away. By licensing GoogleTV to multiple manufacturers it makes it much easier for Google to sneak it into your home. You didn't intend to buy GoogleTV but your cable box or TV or Blu-ray player had it included.

My guess is that Apple will eventually settle down to doing what it has always done - make a very successful and profitable line of products that appeal greatly to an affluent subset of the population.

I can't really see another portal to the App Store becoming the dominant home media-streamer. But I can easily see that many, many people will get a lock-in and pay gobs of money to Apple for content, apps, etc.

It will be a winner, I think. But will it become the ubiquitous home DVR/HTPC/Media Server? Unlikely in my estimation.