saudi proposal- and their support of Iraq

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    He's saying the less interest an 'Imperialistic' country like the US has in that part of the world the less people will hate this part of the world. This of course means Israel fighting their own battles when we withdraw completely from that area but they have the man-power.

At least that's what I got out of it.

Also means that in about 5 years the whole place would have destabilized and it would look nothing likewhat we have today. They may even wish for the good ole days when Americans were around to defend them. Or maybe there won't be anyone left there due to radioactivity. Hmmm.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    This is what I know. Correct me if I'm wrong:

The UN Partition Plan came after the revocation of the British Mandate Palestine. The UN Partition Plan was put into place but Palestinians wanted it all and attacked Israel. Israel, of course, fought back and won, they took a bit of Palestinian land, but not all of it.

Jordan and Egypt actually took a lot of Palestinian land as well.

It seems almost like a ploy. The Egyptians and Jordanians seized an opportunity to send troops under the flag of Palestine to fight Israel...with no intention of winning...only the intention of picking up scraps of land Israel decided not to take.

From what I can tell, nobody really cared so much about Palestine, not even the Arab states around it. They used the Palestinians like everybody else. It's unfortunate the Palestinians didn't have the foresight not to allow outside forces to attack Israel under its 'flag.'

This was around the 1950s...
  • Reply 23 of 30
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I think the war that followed 1948, was tragic but quite natural... The arab states, many quite young, felt the creation of Israel as a new colonial occupation... There is nothing that indicates that they didn't want to "win back" all of the land. We are no longer talking about these borders... It is the borders from 67 that we are concerned with now...

It is quite true that the arab states have not always acted in the palestinian "best interest", the arab people are quite diverse, have many different "ethnic" groups and a long tradition of fighting amogst themselves...

We can go over history a hundred times more, but to what use? It is now time to let what happend before, all the wars that have been fought, be labeled "history".

It is time to start discussing the future. How to end the conflict. With the Arab Summits offer to finally reconize Israel as a nation, the prospect for a lasting peace should be better than ever.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Frankly, I think the region will erupt into formal war. As for stability in the region...not for decades or centuries in my opinion.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    I'm not disagreeing with you... I'm just saying that the conditions fore a peace (at least on the paper) are there. And that the only way to get there is by looking forward...

Personally I think its time for an international intervention...
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Personally I think its time for an international intervention...

I don't think it's time for that. Who would you intervene on behalf of? The Israelis or the Arabs? I know some nations will interven on the behalf of Israel and other , otherwise allies, will take the side of the Arabs. For example, I know the US would take sides with Israel. But most of the European Allies would side with the arabs. How will this affect US-Euro relations? It's better if we just butt out or at least not formally intervene.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    An intervention for both parties of course. The parties have clearly shown that they are not capable of solving their differences by themselves. Like The Foreign minister of Baraks government stated on BBC today...
  • Reply 28 of 30
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The UN and US intervened in Lebanon (and Somalia, the Balkans, etc.)... and they became the targets. Bad idea.

It's simply clear that neither side's leaders want to stop fighting at all. They just wave a white flag to draw out the other side and start all over again.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>

It tells me they will support any government no matter how evil they may be as long as it's based on Islam.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not even that. Iraq's government isn't based on Islam. It's secular. (Although he has made some gestures towards the Islamic fundamentalists in recent years.) Hussein is just a fellow Muslim, that's all. Which is apparently a sufficient qualification for Saudi Arabia.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    I'd like to know who REALLY is running the show over there.