Adobe announces magazine digital publishing platform for Apple iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 98
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wonder what they are going to call it...hmmm?

How about "Flesh"

or

pseudo-Flash in the Pad.

• Reply 42 of 98
    Quote:

I bet Adobe used Flash to create it. Let's say they built another intermediate translation layer that decompiled the Flash binary to C++. Made a few tweaks and export to xcode. That way they don't have to reinvent the wheel with all the animation and effects and allows integration with other base code from CS5.

... And, we have a winner!

• Reply 43 of 98
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    If I was a shareholder of Adobe I would thank apple every day for starting this flash war. Adobe really kicked things into high gear, both in terms of flash development with 10.1 and with these new tools, which were rewritten in C in record time. Adobe now has the underdog status, which should help them work harder to build things outside of flash, as well as make sure that flash gets better for those who must use it (like Firefox Users).
  • Reply 44 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

For a complete analysis, see:

http://interfacelab.com/is-this-real...st-use-html-5/

I've read that article and I'm not sure the author knows how a magazine is produced -- in the case of Wired, with InDesign. Only a handful of art directors know much about HTML5 or Objective-C, or even Flash, for that matter. Most grew up with Quark, then moved on to InDesign.

What print publishers are looking for is a way to port over their print magazines to the iPad rather than build them from scratch. The economics of building a new app every month just doesn't work for them -- especially when a page of advertising in a print magazine brings in tens of thousands of dollars (meaning all those paid apps are the equivalent of about one page of advertising, that's all).

The Volkswagen Das magazine app, created by Rhbm, is an example of a stand-alone iPad app with animation, video, the works. But that app is produced once and that's it. Condé Nast needs a publishing platform that will allow them to produce an app a month without employing tons of developers.
  • Reply 45 of 98
    [QUOTE=Onhka;1642879][1] Totally disagree. Not any different that paper mags or books. Great use of type. They know their typography.

I have a very powerful device, and a (powerful?) custom app displaying custom reading content. The type is too small, and too close together for me to read. There is nothing I can do about it!

For me, and others with declining eyesight, it is game, set and match!

• Reply 46 of 98
    londonlondon Posts: 24member
    It's nice to see Adobe deciding to produce something that works, rather than trying to force Apple into allowing Flash. But the Wired issue points to something Apple needs to fix: the ability to add fonts to Apps. There are some workarounds (including page images that blow up a magazine to 500 MB), but I believe they all require the iPad to be hooked up to the Web. Publishers can use whatever technology gets the job done, but they're not going to want to accept limitations on how they graphically present their message.

I'm writing a novel and experimented with making an ePub (via InDesign and Stanza). Embedding my fonts didn't work (anyone know how to do that so it shows up in a Mac ePub reader?). The final ePub looked dreadful compared to my PDF.

Gimme fonts!
  • Reply 47 of 98
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

I've read that article and I'm not sure the author knows how a magazine is produced -- in the case of Wired, with InDesign. Only a handful of art directors know much about HTML5 or Objective-C, or even Flash, for that matter. Most grew up with Quark, then moved on to InDesign.

What print publishers are looking for is a way to port over their print magazines to the iPad rather than build them from scratch.

Exactly most print designers can't program. But converting the print publication to another static version for iPad doesn't offer any of that interactivity that is so desirable. There is no magic button that will add interactivity to an inDesign project. There will be developers in the middle converting it to iPad and including all the things that Flash-like applications have. If the original document is in inDesign, then it is pretty simple to copy and paste from there to other CS5 applications to create the animations and interactivity. I would not be surprised at all if Flash isn't going to be part of the process. The converter is the key. That is what makes it a traditional C project and within the rules set forth by Apple.
  • Reply 48 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by London View Post

It's nice to see Adobe deciding to produce something that works, rather than trying to force Apple into allowing Flash. But the Wired issue points to something Apple needs to fix: the ability to add fonts to Apps. There are some workarounds (including page images that blow up a magazine to 500 MB), but I believe they all require the iPad to be hooked up to the Web. Publishers can use whatever technology gets the job done, but they're not going to want to accept limitations on how they graphically present their message.

I'm writing a novel and experimented with making an ePub (via InDesign and Stanza). Embedding my fonts didn't work (anyone know how to do that so it shows up in a Mac ePub reader?). The final ePub looked dreadful compared to my PDF.

Gimme fonts!

You can override the css with an external font but it only works if the font is on the reader device.
  • Reply 49 of 98
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,083member
    if it's as buggy as flash, it's dead before it even hits the shelves.

adobe should clean house and get rid of anyone who's not on board and completely redo flash?if it's that important to them.

also, i'm wondering about the possibility of filing a class action lawsuit against adobe based on the fact that when i produce a flash movie and goes to testing (multiple platforms), it crashes machines.
  • Reply 50 of 98
    Quote:

Exactly most print designers can't program. But converting the print publication to another static version for iPad doesn't offer any of that interactivity that is so desirable. There is no magic button that will add interactivity to an inDesign project. There will be developers in the middle converting it to iPad and including all the things that Flash-like applications have. If the original document is in inDesign, then it is pretty simple to copy and paste from there to other CS5 applications to create the animations and interactivity. I would not be surprised at all if Flash isn't going to be part of the process. The converter is the key. That is what makes it a traditional C project and within the rules set forth by Apple.

That's all true -- which is why the most interesting iPad magazines may come from new publishers who develop specifically for tablets, the same way website designers are web first. I think we will see more and more of these types of magazines in the months ahead. (As an aside, Letter to Jane is a web-only magazine that was brought over to the iPad, but the guy who put it out admits he is no programmer so the iPad version is pretty minimal).

Most publishers are very comfortable with Adobe and completely at a loss when it comes to app development. If I were a publisher starting a new company today (which I'd like to do) I'd start with the developers and add in traditional art directors, instead of doing it the other way around.
  • Reply 51 of 98
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Hundreds of thousands of publishers use InDesign, and I think you are going a bit over the top with these comments.

While I think it likely (since Adobe created it), that this converter is indeed a POS, let's be realistic. Any magazine that's based on large glossy full-page spreads (and most are nowadays), and has every second page as a full page advertisement (and most do nowadays), is going to end up being a huge file simply due to all the pictures.

If each page is a 10 meg picture file and it has 30 pages, that's 300 MB right there.

Sure this is probably a crappy app, sure Apple or almost anyone could do better than the hacks at Adobe, but digital magazines are always going to be huge files.

The problem is that the application size does not match the function of the device. As someone else said, they used their print tools to try and make something that the web tools would be more suitable for. 500MB is just simply too big for a device like the iPad. Quite frankly, it is too big for my laptop as well; they are over-valuing the quality of their pictures and under-valuing my bandwidth. It simply isn't sustainable.
  • Reply 52 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

If I were a publisher starting a new company today (which I'd like to do) I'd start with the developers and add in traditional art directors, instead of doing it the other way around.

Been there done that. Art comes first, sorry. The process does not run in reverse. The director does not take orders from the cameraman.
  • Reply 53 of 98
    londonlondon Posts: 24member
    Quote:

You can override the css with an external font but it only works if the font is on the reader device.

At least with Adobe's ePub reader, the fact that I created the ePub from my own InDesign file (using local fonts and double-checking the XML files to ensure they were properly listing the font) didn't matter?my fonts defaulted to "standard" fonts. But that might have been my inexperience leading to some kind of error.*

For the iPhone/iPad, since you can't add fonts, designers are hamstrung to the installed font base. Ick. P22's Civilite was exactly what I wanted for chapter titles. I hope to publish via a large publishing house, but I'd love to be able to make an ePub for my friends formatted exactly the way I'd want the book published. I guess they'll all get PDFs.

*Does ePub support OpenType fonts? That might have been the problem. It looks like I'm going to have to put some effort into learning the best way to make an ePub.
  • Reply 54 of 98
    Quote:

*Does ePub support OpenType fonts? That might have been the problem. It looks like I'm going to have to put some effort into learning the best way to make an ePub.

yes otf works, but you have to use override css and the font has to be on the device so the short answer is forget it. The reason the spec is designed that way is so each device has control over the display. Some devices have color some not. Some have small screens others not. ePub is about the words and pictures not the layout.
  • Reply 55 of 98
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

steve jobs just emailed adobe to say "who's your daddy?"

• Reply 56 of 98
    masternavmasternav Posts: 442member
    Quote:

Gimme fonts!

the open source utility called Calibre? It is a conversion utiility for moving .pdf files into ePub format. I've had SOME success with it thus far, but the docs I'm converting are fairly basic. As time allows I want to expand my experiments to include much more complex .pdf docs to see what the limits are. As it is - I have a series of long out-of-print manuals and reference works that have transitioned successfully using Calibre.
  • Reply 57 of 98
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

Horizontal scrolling is through the whole magazine, vertical scrolling is within articles? pretty intuitive if you ask me.

The problem is you don't get a sense of where you are within the magazine.

Not true, some are vertical others are horizantal. They used a blue ribbon line to indicate the direction of the article...

Intuitiveness -FAIL-
  • Reply 58 of 98
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

So instead of a nice, compact interactive magazine viewer Adobe release a bloated piece

How do we know if the Flash version would not have been large, too. I think what takes up so much space are all of the photos and movies included. With these interactive magazines, instead of just one photo, there can be 15 in the same space, stacked one on top of the other, or displayed as a photo album. This is what makes these magazines different from the print version.
  • Reply 59 of 98
    This could be a print designer's salvation. We have been dying here for the past 10 years. Now, there is at least hope!
  • Reply 60 of 98
    Quote:

There is no magic button that will add interactivity to an inDesign project.

Ah! But you may be wrong, my friend! InDesign CS 5 has many interactive features built in. We can add mini slide shows by stacking photos on top of one another and then creating right and left buttons to show one at a time. We can add movies. Yes! We can!